PNY 128GB Turbo USB3.0 Flash Drive - Free after rebate plus shipping

ivwshane

Lifer
May 15, 2000
That is ridiculous!

Never mind, this requires you to not only install mcafee but also sign up for auto payment.

Damn it!

Last edited:

uallas5

Golden Member
Jun 3, 2005
I think McAfee is relying on people forgetting to cancel the auto-renewal (a big part of qualifying for the rebate), especially since you have to wait at least 10 months to cancel it.

Last edited:

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
The terms and conditions for the rebate kill it. From the rebate form:
To qualify for this rebate you must:
• Install McAfee Multi Access. (Instructions Below in Special Instructions)
• Enroll in the Auto Renewal feature. (Valid credit card required)
• Stay enrolled in the Auto Renewal feature for the first 10 months of the subscription.

Gotta sign up for mccrappy service including enrolling in auto renewal. Then you have to wait at least 10 months, and then you have to remember to stop the auto renewal and cancel the subscription. Ugh.

Ricochet

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 1999
If you're going in on this deal and have an available prepaid rebate card from another deal, use that instead. That way if you forget to cancel the Auto Renewal after 10 months, you're not stuck with the annual charge.

DesiPower

Lifer
Nov 22, 2008
I remember kaspersky did that last year, I took advantage of that, the fact that they are not doing it anymore, tells you something...

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
If you're going in on this deal and have an available prepaid rebate card from another deal, use that instead. That way if you forget to cancel the Auto Renewal after 10 months, you're not stuck with the annual charge.

That may not be safe. Someone on a similar TD rebate/McCaffee thread mentioned cancelling the CC they used, and they got a letter from a collections company!

Hulk

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
Jeez I didn't see the part about installing McCaffee.
Sorry about that guys.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005
That may not be safe. Someone on a similar TD rebate/McCaffee thread mentioned cancelling the CC they used, and they got a letter from a collections company!

Yep. Using a prepaid card is fine to protect you in case the info gets swiped, but it won't protect you from owing money. If you agree to the automatic renewal and then forget to cancel and then refuse to pay, they can collect.

holden j caufield

Diamond Member
Dec 30, 1999
that's so scammy of them. I really despise that type of behavior. Mcscam I have no idea how that software still sells or stays in business there are free versions that are 1000x better

cytoSiN

Platinum Member
Jul 11, 2002
that's so scammy of them. I really despise that type of behavior. Mcscam I have no idea how that software still sells or stays in business there are free versions that are 1000x better

It's bundled with a TON of other software, including Acrobat Flash if you don't uncheck the box when installing.

Roland00Address

Platinum Member
Dec 17, 2008
So I assume if you want to do this, you create a free virtual machine of something like windows 10 (so you do not have to use crappy mcafee), install the software, and then set a google calendar appointment to remind you to uninstall and unrenew in 10 months?

alaricljs

Golden Member
May 11, 2005
So I assume if you want to do this, you create a free virtual machine of something like windows 10 (so you do not have to use crappy mcafee), install the software, and then set a google calendar appointment to remind you to uninstall and unrenew in 10 months?

Yup, pretty much exactly that. Which is exactly what I pondered whether the flash drive was worth doing for.

PokerGuy

Lifer
Jul 2, 2005

Yep, that's exactly what you'd have to do. Certainly not a huge amount of work, but ask yourself if that is worth it to save $39, keeping in mind that you still have to actually get the rebate (not always a sure thing), with a chance of hassles. For me, simply not worth it, not by a long shot, but maybe for others it makes sense.

esquared

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 8, 2000
how is TD's rebate? people get them back?

They're fine. They used to be a problem, years back. I've done several in the last couple years and they come to me quickly. (usually is less then the time they say it will).

They are as good as anyone else out there, IMO.

qliveur

Diamond Member
Mar 25, 2007
They're fine. They used to be a problem, years back. I've done several in the last couple years and they come to me quickly. (usually is less then the time they say it will).

They are as good as anyone else out there, IMO.
This is correct.

TD rebates are handled by 4myrebate now.