PnP, thou art a tech's curse! Damn your temptations!

AMDJunkie

Diamond Member
Dec 6, 1999
Let me first state that this topic was made by Killbat, Conqueror of Worlds, who seemingly has been conquered by a fried proxy and cannot post at this time, thus giving me the job of putting up something you'll probably ignore. So without further ado, Killbat's topic.

Today I got the bright idea to kick around the old Acer 486 (Overdrive, DX4@99mhz). To start, I had to work with this MB's three SIMM sockets, which couldn't do just any combination of SIMMs, of course. After a half-hour of experimentation I got it to recognize 16mb of the 20mb in there, so I left it at that. Then I decided to throw in an ISA network card and a Media Vision Pro Audio Spectrum ISA sound card/Sony CDROM driver, and then I started installing Windows95 on the 540mb HDD (only 485mb usable because of BIOS limitations). The thing is, neither the NIC nor the sound card are PnP, so I found myself haggling with interrupts, memory ranges, and the like. I had a heck of a time negotiating between the PS/2 mouse's and the sound card's resources, and I've never had those two types of devices argue with each other, so I had to "wing it". Once that was settled, I went to get the thing logged on to the NT4 server. After some fits of rage ;) I got the WinSock Proxy working and checked my Email on it, did some FTP browsing, etc. Great, everything was running. NOW, the moment of truth. WINAMP. I copied over Winamp, started it up, tweaked, and settled on mono output. I'm now enjoying the Fight Club soundtrack via this beat-all 486. What's the point of telling you this? To prove a point, PnP is much like automatic transmission. It's easier, sure, but it's just not as much FUN! :D