Question PMW fan hub on older ASUS Maxiumus X Hero WIFI AC Z370 motherboard

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
My nephew bought an Antec DP503 case and is transplanting his ASUS Maxmimus X Hero WIFI motherboard into it.

The case is okay, but Antec's documentation is pretty awful. The case includes 3 ARGB fans stacked at the front, with all three fans connected to a fan hub board. The fans themselves have two sets of wires coming out, a three wire ARGB line and a 3 wire fan wire, both of which plug into the fan hub. The output lines for the controller are marked to connect one to an ARGB header ( no problem, the motherboard has two), with the 2nd output line marked to be connected to a motherboard PMW header. It is a four pin plug, but only 3 wires to the plug. Diagrams are below.

Only problem is, we can't identify the proper fan header to plug this PMW output line into on this older motherboard. It has several 4 pin chasis fan headers, but it isn't immediately apparent which one we should use.

I don't care much for ARGB, but worst case need the fans working for cooling. I would like to get it working, though, as my nephew is apparently entranced by ARGB lighting (he is 11, go figure)....

Anybody have any ideas about where to connect these? I don't normally bother with fan hubs/controllers in my personal builds, so this really isn't my cup of tea.

1671991283717.png

1671991909708.png

Last edited:

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
From the ASUS manual for that board:

page 1-2 has the board layout, 1-3 is the written descriptions.

IMO, the ARGB cable will connect to the ARGB header at the bottom left of the board, if you (he) wants the mobo to control the fan speeds, plug the PWM cable into CHA_FAN2. The SATA power cable will (duh) plug into a SATA power cable from the PSU.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
That was my initial thought as well. However, it doesn't work.

Since the hub has a 15 pin SATA output, I wonder if I need a 15 pin to 6 pin SATA adapter to power the hub? Which, of course, wasn't included with the case...

EDIT - never mind, please ignore the idiot (i.e. me). Stayed up too late last night fixing broken water lines. I figured it out - didn't have the 15 pin SATA cable plugged in to the power supply... Once I got it plugged in, worked like a charm....

@BoomerD , your help is greatly appreciated.

Last edited: