Pluto is no longer a planet by definition

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Text

"The scientific community has realised that the classification used for Pluto for 75 years was not correct" says Gonzalo Tancredi of the University of the Republic in Montevideo, Uruguay.

Tancredi was part of the group who lobbied to change the original draft definition, which would have included Pluto as a planet and possibly hundreds more icy objects. "I'm pretty happy," Tancredi told New Scientist.

So where does that leave the solar system? There are eight planets: Mercury, Venus, Earth, Mars, Jupiter, Saturn, Uranus and Neptune.

Then there are three recognised dwarf planets: Pluto, Ceres (formerly an asteroid), and the largest dwarf, UB313, popularly known as Xena. Many more dwarf planets will follow. Most will be icy middleweight objects in the Kuiper Belt out beyond Neptune, and one or two may be asteroids.

There's more in the article, but there are the key points.

Nik

Lifer
Jun 5, 2006
I'm glad you posted this. Otherwise, I never would have known.

everman

Lifer
Nov 5, 2002
The funny thing is about what the astrologers are doing about it, apparently this does not bode well for some people. --wall street journal, friday, 8-24

Philippine Mango

Diamond Member
Oct 29, 2004
I wonder what they're teaching in the elementary schools, I bet there has been tons of arguements between the students and teachers over this subject and with a few getting sent out of the class cause it's easier to teach that there are 9 planets.

GreenGhost

Golden Member
Oct 11, 1999
So, should the temp names Xena and Gabrielle be adopted, or maybe Batman and Robin, Abott & Costello, Tom and Jerry, ...

FoBoT

No Lifer
Apr 30, 2001
fobot.com
screw pluto, it sucks, has always sucked, and will continue to suck in its new status of "dwarf planet"

spidey07

No Lifer
Aug 4, 2000
What was that ATOT general guideline?

Something about if its news (especially from yesterday) it has alreay been posted?

Eeezee

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2005
Originally posted by: chambersc
In other news, today is Friday...NOT THURSDAY!

Way to go, you can keep track of the date on which you are posting?

However, you still lose because you failed at reading the OP date.