plumbing question

foghorn67

Lifer
Jan 3, 2006
Can I use one of the do-it-yourself snakes that attach to drills?
the water seems to back up right away, does that mean the bottleneck is close to the shower drain.
My last house had this problem, but it took it a little bit before it slowed, and the plumber said the block was between the shower and kitchen sink, a ways off.
Or are those snakes a waste of money?
thanks

giantpinkbunnyhead

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2005
I usually buy a bottle of liquid drano or something like that, you know... the stuff whose odor would strip paint off a streetcar? But its always worked for me.

silverpig

Lifer
Jul 29, 2001
1. Check for hair clogs in the drain. That's usually what it is. Mine does this every so often.
2. Drano. The foamy stuff works pretty good.
3. You can get this pressurized drano stuff too. Works even better.
4. Move.

fitzov

Platinum Member
Jan 3, 2004
it depends on how old your bath drain/trap is.

one old style is to bury it under the bathroom floor--in that case a snake might not work given the shape of the trap and the configuration of the pipes leading to it--need to try a strong drain cleaner or compressed air.

otherwise a snake is the best option.

Heisenberg

Lifer
Dec 21, 2001
Check for clogs right at the drain first, then snake it out if the blockage is further down. Those liquid drain cleaners are a waste of time IMHO. Also, you don't need to use a drill for the snake - you can do it by hand if need be.

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
Do any men in your house, ummm, satisfy themselves in the shower? That product is not a good mix with hair. :evil:

Shame

Platinum Member
Dec 28, 2001
Originally posted by: richardycc
before you try to use chemical, get this ZIP-it drain cleaner from lowes, its like $2-3, and it works, I took out like a pound of hair our of the shower drain, no more slow drain.

I've got one of those in every bathroom. They work like a charm.

OutHouse

Lifer
Jun 5, 2000
sounds like hair. between my wife and 2 daughters my shower drain always gets plugged. drano wont work because the hair gets stuck ont he cross piece thats about a inch down the drain. I normally plunge it to make sure i get all of it caught on that cross piece then take a pair of plyers and a razor blade and cut it out. thats the only way i can unplug it.