Plumbing Question, NPT, MIP

redly

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
I'm installing a dishwasher that calls for a 3/8" NPT pipe thread. Is it the same as an MIP?

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: redly
I'm installing a dishwasher that calls for a 3/8" NPT pipe thread. Is it the same as an MIP?

Head to Home Depot and pick up a braided hose kit for installing the dishwasher. The kit comes with a 48" - 60" braided hose and a 90-degree brass fitting to connect to the water inlet on your dishwasher. The kit should run $11.00 - $14.00.

Edit: 3/8" is the fitting size for the hose itself. The connection to the water input is actually 1/2" or so, but the 90-degree fitting makes the adjustment to 3/8" for you.

Edit #2: Ensure you pick up some teflon tape when you're at the store. Use the teflon tape on the threads for installing the 90-degree fitting to your dishwasher. The braided hose doesn't need any teflon tape on the threads because it has a built-in rubber washer.

redly

Golden Member
Nov 15, 2004
Googling seems to indicate that an MIP is a male connection of an NPT type thread. We live in podunk and the local hardware-type store has crap for selection.

SuperPickle

Golden Member
Nov 1, 2001

NPT = National Pipe Thread.

MIP - if it's labled 3/8" and looks like it'll fit (i.e. male thread vs. female fitting), then it will work. This is coming from a guy that worked for a few years in a mom&pop hardware store. Best job I've ever had.

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Googling seems to indicate that an MIP is a male connection of an NPT type thread. We live in podunk and the local hardware-type store has crap for selection.

Not even a Lowes close by?

T2T III

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
The 90-degree fitting that comes with the kit has male threads on both sides. The female threads are on the hose itself.