Plugged in a new LCD HDTV for my mother, it picks up cable channels regular TV's can't

Bumrush99

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
Strangest thing, my mother is subscribed to basic cable and has never ordered a cable box and only subscribes to HBO.
I installed a new LG HDTV LCD tv, and when doing the initial channel setup, noticed that several of the movie channels were picked up, ALL OF the HD programming was available and all of the music channels (not MTV, the various radio stations) were programmed in to the tv with station numbers like 98-2 - 98-45. The thing that really shocked me is that a full HD signal was being broadcast through the standard cable connection with no decoder or box like the cable company claims you need to have it running.
Basically she is now has access to a lot more than with her standard tv. Has anyone ever heard or seen this before?

The local cable company down here is Atlantic Broadband, not exactly the most proficient or up to date company, but I'm suprised their system would have this kind of flaw, especially with all the people upgrading to more advanced systems.

DeviousTrap

Diamond Member
Jul 19, 2002
The TV has a tuner that supports QAM. Basically, the non-pay HD channels and music channels are not encrypted, so you're able to pick them up.

Goosemaster

Lifer
Apr 10, 2001
Originally posted by: DeviousTrap
The TV has a tuner that supports QAM. Basically, the non-pay HD channels and music channels are not encrypted, so you're able to pick them up.

Basically.

Oh, and yes, they generally do look better than SAT/Cable HD channels. Enjoy:D

Bumrush99

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2004
Awesome, thanks for the info..
Now, I'd love to have a QAM external tuner for my Samsung 65 Inch HDTV, it is around 3 years old and can not pick up those channels

Horus

Platinum Member
Dec 27, 2003
QAM FTW, that and Cablecard are gonna be standard in the industry in the next few years or so.