• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."

pls recommend a really nice used phone for $200.

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
my samsung s8 front glass cracked today. i see there are ebay services to get it repair for $40 which is fine.
but im curious if i can get something better for $200 used. better in terms of cpu.

ArisVer

Golden Member
Mar 6, 2011
I recently bought a new Xiaomi Redmi Note 9S for 200-250. It's very good for the price but I don't think the cpu is better than the S8.

Ravynmagi

Diamond Member
Jun 16, 2007
This is a tough one. You don't think you'll find a $200 phone as good as your Galaxy S8.

You say $40 screen replacement service? As in someone will replace the screen for you for $40? That price seems very low, so guessing that doesn't include the screen or it's not a service and it's just the screen. Replacing the screen yourself can be a bit of a pain in the butt, but probably doable. But third party screens are definitely a gamble in terms of quality you'll get. I've gotten decent ones and I've gotten probably just as many complete garbage ones (not factoring the ones that were completely dead on arrival). If you want to pay someone to replace the screen, I expect that may cost over $100.

I think it's a hard choice between dealing with the hassles and risks trying to repair an older flagship phone that could still be very good if successful. Versus just throwing in the towel and buying a cheap $200 phone that will be new and defect free, but definitely slower and lower quality.

Not sure I'd really even mess with any phone under $350 (upcoming Pixel 4A rumored to start at this price). So might be worth getting the screen replaced by a professional local shop and paying the $150+ or so it's probably going to cost to get a quality screen with a warranty. Or take a gamble on a $40 DIY eBay replacement screen.

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
i paid for $50 repair service on ebay before. it worked out very well. once paid, i sent the phone in and wait for a week and it came back with the front glass all replaced. only the glass, not the display screen.
sadly, 3 days after posting this, the display flickers wildly. to repair it will cost at least $120. so i will stick to my s7 for now.

luv2liv

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
i think i will go for the lg g7 thinq. for $165 very good condition on swappa. pretty good for all the basic things since i dont play games

ASK THE COMMUNITY