PlexWriter 4X12X max SCSI External CD-R Drive Kit w/ Adaptec SW by Plextor $147.00

MikeHall

Oct 31, 1999
I'd advise against refurbished cd-writers. They do wear out eventually, I doubt a refurbished one will last that long.

gonif1

Feb 22, 2000
I'd disagree with you about buying a refurbed Plextor drive. Plextor's QC is quite good, as is their RMA policy. I've personally owned CD burners that were still going strong after 700 burns.

On the other hand, it doesn't make much sense to me to invest in OLD technology when for another $120 you can buy a state of the art 12/4/32 Plextor drive. AFAIK, it's money well spent, considering that a 4x burner takes about 25 minutes to burn and fixate a disk, versus 7 minutes for a 12X burner. Believe me, when you do a lot of burning, the time saving is significant, and add to that the fact that you tend to lay off doing disk intensive tasks while burning a disk, so your computer is tied up for the duration.

Personally, I'd save up a few dollars more, and hit Onvia with a coupon for the purchase of a more up-to-date unit.

eP?

Mar 12, 2000
Would anyone happen to know whether Onvia has any coupons available right now? Any links to make things easier for a man without a computer at home? i.e. I have little time at work to search for this stuff and I would appreciate anything that quickened the process thanks.

EP