Plextor vs. Lite-On...please read before rolling eyes!

Tullphan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
I've read where quality-wise & performance-wise the Lite-On drives were comparable to Plextor.
I can purchase a Plextor 40/12/40 & a Lite-On 16x DVD (both black, both retail) for about $20 more (after rebate) than both a Lite-On CDR-W & DVD drive.
With the prices comparable, would going with the Plextor be a better choice?
Thanks for the input.

Rainsford

Lifer
Apr 25, 2001
Plextor drives are the Klipsch 5.1s of the cd-burner world. If you've got the money to spend, they are top notch. I'd say for only $20 more go for the Plextor, I'm very happy with mine. And my brother has the Lite-On DVD drive, good stuff too. $20 is well worth it IMHO.

wfbberzerker

Lifer
Apr 12, 2001
if you want to spend 20 bucks more to get the black plextor, go for it. but realize that there are no differences between the plextor and the lite-on, and the liteon beats the plextor in some cases.

Sundog

Lifer
Nov 20, 2000
I just looked and can not find the website right now, but I am a firm Plextor believer. Awesome quality and they have/had never let me down. I have gotten a Lite-On though because others have said they are also good, BUT the Lite-On models seem to be able to read and copy more things, or so I am told and that is what the website listed (the site I can not seem to find right now. Examples are Karoke CD's and Playstation games, although I have no experience with the latter.

SilentRunning

Golden Member
Aug 8, 2001
Get which ever makes you happy both should do well. Since I read your message I guess you knew this would be coming:

rolleye.gif
rolleye.gif
rolleye.gif
rolleye.gif
rolleye.gif
rolleye.gif
rolleye.gif
rolleye.gif

Tullphan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
I won't be messing with CD-G or any type of TV games. I'll mainly be backing up data, burning files & some audio ripping. I probably don't burn 5-10 a week, but i'd still like a good quality, durable burner.
Again, we're looking at $20 difference between a Plextor cdr-w/Liteon DVD (both retail, both black) and a Liteon cdr-w & dvd (both black, both OEM).

Rand

Lifer
Oct 11, 1999
If the price difference is small I'd go with Plextor due primarily to the fact that their drives tend to be extremely reliable, and Plextor's customer support is pretty good. Their nicely well rounded drives and are pretty good in almost any respect.

Lite-On is very good, but if the price difference is minimal then I'd definitely prefer Plextor.

Plextor does tend to frown on copying games and stuff like that though, so if you intend to burn PlayStation game CD's or are doing a lot of copying of copy-protected CD's then you should probably pass on Plextor.

Booster

Diamond Member
May 4, 2002
I'd say don't get either one. I know nothing about Lite-On, but I don't think it's comparable to Plextor in terms of quality. If you want the minimum trouble at a reasonable price, if you want more expensive, Teac is great. It's just as high quality as Plextor, but costs less. Or if you want to shave off a few bucks I know LG drives are great - quiet, fast and reliable as far as my experience goes.

wfbberzerker

Lifer
Apr 12, 2001
i say get the lite-on. it may only be 20 bucks, but thats more than nothing, and performance/reliablility differences are nil.

TomBilliodeaux

Sep 29, 2000
I agree with Booster. I have both a Plextor 1210 and TEAC 516EB. I prefer the TEAC because of its ability to read faster and better (accuracy).

Once owned a Lite-On and returned it shortly because its readability problems with other burned applications.

Since then, i believe Lite-On has improved from what I have been reading, but I won't gample on that wiht my money.

ajskydiver

Golden Member
Jan 7, 2000
Considering that the drives are supposedly near equals in quality/performance, the other thing to consider is the company's technical support.

I haven't had any RMA experience with Lite On, but I have with Plextor.

Had a PX-W2410A that wasn't functioning properly...after a few emails with tech support (that were not helpful), the frustrated tech gave up and said, "What do you want us to do now?"

To make a long story short, I let them know I wasn't happy and this is what they did:

FedEx picked up the drive, Plextor tested it out - confirmed one of the problems, sent some of the audio discs it couldn't read to Japan for study, sent the drive back along with blank CDRs.

Bought new audio discs and shipped them to me because Japan is going to use them for testing with the new firmware due soon.

So, they fixed the drive & addressed all the problems at no additional cost to me.

Plextor went *way* above and beyond -- they didn't just ship a new or repaired drive, they wanted to know *why* it was misreading discs and fix it.

That's why the price premium is worth it to me -- great droves and excellent service.

~AJ

Paulson

Elite Member
Feb 27, 2001
www.ifixidevices.com
Well if you're drive doesn't have problems like that in the first place, why go for plextor than?

My lite on has done everything I've tossed at it... no problems...

When I get a piece of equipment, the last thing I want to do is RMA it (want it reliable) and lite on does it for me... screw all this good technical support, I just want something that works and works decent :)

Mikki

Golden Member
Jun 13, 2002
Lite-on is cheaper, and any way you look at it that's a plus. Most of the reviews/comparisons I've seen show them pretty much neck to neck in performance, and the Lite-on seems to copy a bit more protected stuff. As cheap as even these high-ends cdr's are, if the reliability isn't there, buy a new one. So why did I buy a Plextor? Because my four year old cdr is still going strong (I wish I knew how many burns I've made with this thing) and still will copy everything I want it to (I've updated the firmware). It's in my second computer and it rules (just s l o w). Definitely got my money outta that one. Also, Plextor has been on top for a LONG time, and for good reason, the quality can be matched in rare cases, but never surpassed. Usually I don't care who makes the thing, it's just a cdr, whatever one is best that's what I get. But I guess in this case I have a little bit of loyalty toward Plextor for treating me so good.

Like everyone else here, that's my OPINION. Good luck! :)

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
I bought a TDK (Lite-ON) 40x - this week (the sale is still on, check Hot Deals) - for $39.99 after MIR (Nero 5.5 included). I seriously doubt a Plextor will only be $20 more expensive.

Now that I have read this thread . . .
rolleye.gif

ok, left eye
rolleye.gif

. . . right eye,
rolleye.gif

together . . .
rolleye.gif
rolleye.gif

:D

TheWart

Diamond Member
Dec 17, 2000
plextor all the way, customer support is cool!

also, a thing to keep in mind is you said the plextor bundle was "retail" vs the oem of the lite-on. oem will not include software to burn (i.e. nero) whereas you have to factor the cost of the software into the oem bundle (if you do not currently own software).

apoppin

Lifer
Mar 9, 2000
alienbabeltech.com
From my experience, most OEM burners DO come with burning software (although it may be minimal).

And which Plextor can match (even close) the $40 price of the retail 40X TDK/Lite-On (Nero 5.5 included) currently on sale?

Edit: Oops, almost forgot . . .

rolleye.gif

and standalone DVD-ROM drives are just about "giveaway" (after MIR), nowadays. ;)

sean2002

Golden Member
Apr 9, 2001
Originally posted by: Rainsford
Plextor drives are the Klipsch 5.1s of the cd-burner world. If you've got the money to spend, they are top notch. I'd say for only $20 more go for the Plextor, I'm very happy with mine. And my brother has the Lite-On DVD drive, good stuff too. $20 is well worth it IMHO.

Plextor was the Klipsch or CD-rw drives, about 2 years age, now Lite-on holds the crown, they have a faster drive (48x), cheaper drive, and it comes with more features like being to copy all copy protection that can be copied, and it fully supports the Mount Rainier format standard. It also uses gears to open and close the drive unlike belts that can wear out. NOt to mention the 48x DAE performance

Tullphan

Diamond Member
Jul 27, 2001
I bought a TDK (Lite-ON) 40x - this week (the sale is still on, check Hot Deals) - for $39.99 after MIR (Nero 5.5 included). I seriously doubt a Plextor will only be $20 more expensive.
AND

And which Plextor can match (even close) the $40 price of the retail 40X TDK/Lite-On (Nero 5.5 included) currently on sale?

There isn't any Plextor that can match those prices. What I said was that I was going to be able to purchase BOTH the retail Plextor CDR-W AND the retail LiteOn DVD for about $20 more after rebate than what I can buy the OEM LiteOn CDR-W AND the OEM LiteOn DVD, which, by the way, does NOT come with any software according the the ad description at Newegg.

jbond04

Oct 18, 2000
I would go with the Lite-On, just because it comes with Nero. Roxio's CD creating software can't hold a candle to the speed and flexibility of Nero. I think that both CD-RW's are comparable, but the software makes the difference in my mind.

WyteRyce

Apr 16, 2000
Anyone who thinks that Plextor is only 20 dollars more than Lite-On apparently hasn't been visiting the Hot Deals section lately. I got a 40x for 20 dollars which I o/ced to 48x. Plus it came with Nero.

I am shocked that there are techies here that are willing to pay more for a name.

ASK THE COMMUNITY