• Guest, The rules for the P & N subforum have been updated to prohibit "ad hominem" or personal attacks against other posters. See the full details in the post "Politics and News Rules & Guidelines."
  • Community Question: What makes a good motherboard?

Plex setup with constant buffering on good hardware

Medikit

Feb 15, 2006

UPDATE: The problem was my network. I was transferring files at about 1 megabit using wired gigabit ethernet. I turned off Remote Differential Compression. Apparently this seems to cause some issues with file transfers between PCs using Windows 8, 7, and Vista. I turned it off and then reset the computers. Now I am transferring files at a minimum of 500 megabits/s. I hope this helps anyone who is having the same trouble that I am. There is some conflicting information out there on whether or not this helps (some people just say that resetting the computers is what fixes it, but it clearly helped me.

Here is a link with more info
http://www.windowsreference.com/win...al-compression/

Prior version:
I just set up Plex for the first time.

I have two computers
1. Server: i5 3570k using the onboard intel HD 4000 video. All videos are located on an internal SATA hard drive. (Windows 8 OS)

2. Client(HTPC): i3 3245 using the onboard intel HD 4000 video (Windows 7 OS)

Client and server are both using gigabit ethernet and plugged into a central hub.

If I play SD video then there are no issues. But if I play 720P (all source files are MKV) or higher than it is constantly buffering. I can't figure out why this is. I shouldn't even need the server to transcode, the i3 should be robust enough to handle the files. Let me know if there is something I missed when I set up everything.

Last edited:

Medikit

Feb 15, 2006
I installed Plex Server on my phone and ipad. It works well without the frequent buffering. The one exception is for 1080P files located on another drive on the network.

Unfortunately I am still having trouble on my HTPC and haven't found a solution.

ASK THE COMMUNITY