"Pledge to America" Unveiled by Republicans - What The Next Congress Will Do

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Craig234

Lifer
May 1, 2006
First - the fact that you're now trying to sneak in the term "major" in front of Bush's policies to retroactively qualify your claim has not escaped my attention.

There's no 'sneak in' - that's offensive language, and if you talk like an ass there will not be a discussion.

That was careful clarification in the case that there's a lack of common sense what the topic is. Why don't you quote the previous text that you allege it's changing?

That's one step from ending any discussion.

Secondly - C'mon, we all know how the Senate works. 51/49 or 49/51 doesn't make a whole of differences in terms of passing legislation in the Senate because of the threat of filibuster. In the past bills just wouldn't brought up if ther was no hope getting 60 votes.

Fern

You're confusing the Democrats use of the filibuster which was far more rare with the Republicans who have set records using it more than any time in history.

You will find plenty of bills Democrats opposed that passed by bare majorities, including Dick Cheney tie breakers, that were not filibusters like the Republicans.

Dec 30, 2004
So right on!! Very well said!!!

Symbol_thumbs_up_green.png

this is why I'm against both parties, and will be voting independent or Tea Party.

GroundedSailor

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2001
First - the fact that you're now trying to sneak in the term "major" in front of Bush's policies to retroactively qualify your claim has not escaped my attention.

Secondly - C'mon, we all know how the Senate works. 51/49 or 49/51 doesn't make a whole of differences in terms of passing legislation in the Senate because of the threat of filibuster. In the past bills just wouldn't brought up if ther was no hope getting 60 votes.

Fern

FYI here's a couple of charts showing the rise in filibuster since the Dems came to power:

cloture-stats-chart2.jpg

480px-Cloture_Voting%2C_United_States_Senate%2C_1947_to_2008.svg.png

cKGunslinger

Lifer
Nov 29, 1999
"Sure, we were in charge before and pretty much did whatever the fuck we wanted, citizens be damned, just like every party in power does when they get in office. But we're not in power right now, so we promise that whatever is popular and sounds good to you, we'll do exactly that if you elect us. We promise. Honest."

:rolleyes:

sandorski

No Lifer
Oct 10, 1999
"Job killing Tax hikes"--LOL

Yup, that's what has caused the current Unemployment Rates. /facepalm

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
FYI here's a couple of charts showing the rise in filibuster since the Dems came to power:

cloture-stats-chart2.jpg

480px-Cloture_Voting%2C_United_States_Senate%2C_1947_to_2008.svg.png

according to wikipedia, cloture has been increasingly used to manage business, even without an apparent filibuster. so it's now an unreliable guide as to whether there is a filibuster or not.

they need to go back to the old way of filibuster. now all they have to do is say 'uh, we're filibustering. yeah.' used to actually have to get up there and talk.

Steeplerot

Lifer
Mar 29, 2004
"Pledge to america" written by oil companies and financial institutions if you right click the pdf and look at whose computers authored it. lol! Republicans are so dumb!

quest55720

Golden Member
Nov 3, 2004
I don't understand how people are willing to believe either of these parties

Exactly that is why I am hoping for gridlock after this election. The only time this government works is when it does nothing. The 90s were pretty damn good after 94 and gridlock. Maybe if one party would actually show some guts and make real spending cuts I could support them. They should easily be able to shave off 10% off the budget. Then shave off 5% off the budget a year for a few more years. Spending has been out of control since Bush was elected.

Bowfinger

Lifer
Nov 17, 2002
PJ, you remind me of Baghdad Bob. I've seen few other people who are so shameless in their dishonesty and fundamental lack of integrity, who can so breezily ignore any information or observations that contradict your script. Without missing a beat you proclaim yourself victorious and prance along spouting your propaganda. It's why you're so ideally suited for your role as an RNC shill.

Clown on, my friend, clown on.
Bagdad Bob was entertaining. Pjabber is just a bore.
On the contrary, PJ is a hoot is you take him for what he is instead of what he pretends to be.

:)