Please "yield" for buses.

BlancoNino

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2005
This keeps happening in my city. I don't even support our public transit especially since our town isn't very big. They pull right out in front of me and I have to press on my brakes quite firmly and slow from 30mph to about 8mph. This is especially irritating because the last few times it's happened there were NO cars behind me and he could have waited. On top of that, they stop right in the middle of traffic and often times don't even get over into the parking lane to pick up passengers...so everyone gets to stop while we wait for people to get out and on.

I'm going to write them a letter, and if they do not comply I will just start reporting these drivers to the police or just let them pull right out into my lane and hit my car. Their fault, not mine.

/rant.

Gooberlx2

Lifer
May 4, 2001
My rule of thumb is that all bus drivers should be considered hostile and be driven around accordingly. They were exactly like that in Denver, and I suspect they're same or worse in every other big city.

BoomerD

No Lifer
Feb 26, 2006
Originally posted by: BlancoNino
This keeps happening in my city. I don't even support our public transit especially since our town isn't very big. They pull right out in front of me and I have to press on my brakes quite firmly and slow from 30mph to about 8mph. This is especially irritating because the last few times it's happened there were NO cars behind me and he could have waited. On top of that, they stop right in the middle of traffic and often times don't even get over into the parking lane to pick up passengers...so everyone gets to stop while we wait for people to get out and on.

I'm going to write them a letter, and if they do not comply I will just start reporting these drivers to the police or just let them pull right out into my lane and hit my car. Their fault, not mine.
/rant.

Actually, that will make the accident YOUR fault. You are required to do whatever is necessary to avoid an accident. If you intentionally cause the accident by "letting one hit you", YOU are at fault...

upsciLLion

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
Would you rather deal surly bus drivers, or entire busloads of additional drivers on the road?

jtvang125

Diamond Member
Nov 10, 2004
I have nearly been sideswiped numerous times by city buses here in SoCal. I don't know if they're just blindly pulling out or just don't care. Many don't even signal that they're getting back into traffic.

Kwaipie

Golden Member
Nov 30, 2005
As a bus rider, I say put your big boy pants on, people don't yield for buses here and we sit for 5 minutes sometimes. They provide a service and reduce the amount of cars on the road. In Japan, if you cause an accident with a bus, you are liable for the lost wages of everyone on that bus.

giantpinkbunnyhead

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2005
Dang, you all have lousy bus service. In Anchorage, the buses never pull that kind of crap. They always signal before pulling in/out of traffic to pick riders up, and I've not ever seen one just cut into traffic. I have a lot of respect for our bus system. They are all courteous drivers and despite waiting for solid openings in traffic, they still stay on time all day.

Feb 19, 2001
Originally posted by: giantpinkbunnyhead
Dang, you all have lousy bus service. In Anchorage, the buses never pull that kind of crap. They always signal before pulling in/out of traffic to pick riders up, and I've not ever seen one just cut into traffic. I have a lot of respect for our bus system. They are all courteous drivers and despite waiting for solid openings in traffic, they still stay on time all day.

Bus drivers are fvcking unionized workers that earn crap wages. In Alameda County they are lowlife POSes who obviously have a worse education than me. The reason they drive busses is because they can't get a better job. A person's economic level clearly correllates with manners and what not, and you usually get rude service.

Sorry about the bitterness. The bus decided to skip my stop today so I had to walk 25 minutes uphill in the rain with no umbrella and using my snowboarding jacket to keep myself dry.

You notice that rich neighborhoods have barely any busses running. We don't need POS transportation to keep us alive. Only in the poor areas do you see a plethora of busses that screw up traffic and are clogged with homeless people who smell and leave piss-stains on the seat.

Kelvrick

Lifer
Feb 14, 2001
Originally posted by: DLeRium

Bus drivers are fvcking unionized workers that earn crap wages. In Alameda County they are lowlife POSes who obviously have a worse education than me. The reason they drive busses is because they can't get a better job. A person's economic level clearly correllates with manners and what not, and you usually get rude service.

Sorry about the bitterness. The bus decided to skip my stop today so I had to walk 25 minutes uphill in the rain with no umbrella and using my snowboarding jacket to keep myself dry.

You notice that rich neighborhoods have barely any busses running. We don't need POS transportation to keep us alive. Only in the poor areas do you see a plethora of busses that screw up traffic and are clogged with homeless people who smell and leave piss-stains on the seat.

I wonder if those same people buy thigns from stores for their own use and then return them.

2Xtreme21

Diamond Member
Jun 13, 2004
Originally posted by: DLeRium

Well they can probably spell the plural of "bus" correctly... :roll:

Anyway, I ride buses frequently and they're very aggressive drivers, but they have to be. Rarely will someone let a bus merge because they don't want to be stuck behind one so the bus will end up sitting there unless it is aggressive. I'm sure there is a mentality that "hey I'm bigger than you," but I don't think bus drivers are going to purposely endanger themselves or their riders (or anyone else on the road) by being reckless.

Howard

Lifer
Oct 14, 1999
Why would you happen to be in the path of a bus when you're supposed to yield to it?

BooGiMaN

Diamond Member
Jul 5, 2001
I stated in one of the posts I do they they have to be more aggressive drivers than most...countless times i have seen cars speed up to not be stuck behind the bus even though the bus is signaling and already starting to merge into the lane..

im positive bus drivers start out courteous their first day and turn aggressive once they have to deal with the countles asshats drivers that think they own the road, and that buses are an inconvenience

SirStev0

Lifer
Nov 13, 2003
Originally posted by: Kwaipie
As a bus rider, I say put your big boy pants on, people don't yield for buses here and we sit for 5 minutes sometimes. They provide a service and reduce the amount of cars on the road. In Japan, if you cause an accident with a bus, you are liable for the lost wages of everyone on that bus.

ouch.

BlancoNino

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2005
Originally posted by: BoomerD

/rant.

Actually, that will make the accident YOUR fault. You are required to do whatever is necessary to avoid an accident. If you intentionally cause the accident by "letting one hit you", YOU are at fault...

Me to insurance company "Didn't see him there".

BlancoNino

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2005

Actually there was a large poll and over 90% of the people who rode our local Link bus were people who weren't old enough to drive, couldn't drive, or lost their license. So basically, it's put more vehicles on the road.

BTW, if a bus merged into my car, I'm pretty sure that's not my fault. Semi's drive through our town all the time (My dad was a trucker for years and never had to "force" himself into lanes...I asked him) with relatively no problems with other cars...but for some reason smaller buses can't seem to wait a few extra seconds until it's clear.

m1ldslide1

Platinum Member
Feb 20, 2006
Happens all the time in Portland - between the bicyclists, cars, and the buses it's all out war. I don't take it very personally anymore when a bus pulls out in front of me, but usually they put their blinker on for a few seconds before doing so. Any experienced city driver knows that means they best slow down or get plowed. Then again, sometimes they'll jerk right out without bothering to signal to traffic, and when that happens they get my horn and middle finger. That's just how it goes.

The good stuff is when the bicyclists and buses get into it. There was a semi-famous local story of the bicyclist who got cut off, and so rode up in front of the bus at the next stop and stood on his bike in front of it. The bus couldn't go around, and so one of the passengers got off, punched the biker out, moved his bike off the road, got back on the bus and they drove off. Of course a lawsuit ensued against the bus company, the settlement of which I'm not privy to.

thirtythree

Diamond Member
Aug 7, 2001

Actually there was a large poll and over 90% of the people who rode our local Link bus were people who weren't old enough to drive, couldn't drive, or lost their license. So basically, it's put more vehicles on the road.
I doubt it puts more vehicles on the road, as many of those people would probably have to get rides some other way or would get a license out of necessity. Anyway, people who have disabilities or can't afford a car deserve to be able to get around too.

Eos

Diamond Member
Jun 14, 2000
Originally posted by: thirtythree

I doubt it puts more vehicles on the road, as many of those people would probably have to get rides some other way or would get a license out of necessity. Anyway, people who have disabilities or can't afford a car deserve to be able to get around too.

MOTORIZED TRANSPORTATION IS NOT A RIGHT! /republican rant

armstrda

Sep 15, 2006
actually if you read in the driver's manual, they state that you must yield to mass transit when they are pulling back into traffic.