Please take my credit cars away

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
I've been buying way to much stupid shit this month. Then I saw this and so help me god I fucking want one.

PowerEngineer

Diamond Member
Oct 22, 2001
Sounds nice, but the $900 price tag is enough to undercut my desire.

I did buy a small Treager wood pellet grill last year. It is easy to use and to clean, but it doesn't get hot enough to really sear meat like a charcoal grill.

Red Squirrel

No Lifer
May 24, 2003
www.anyf.ca
That is kind of cool, but only thing with pellets is they have adhesive so is that even safe long term? I feel this would turn into one of those things like how they say using foil is not safe anymore. And you still need to rely on a man made resource, so you may as well just stick to propane.

This got me thinking though... do they make wood fired BBQs? Like basically a fire pit with a grill, but actually called a BBQ? That way you could still use it if there is a open fire ban.

Exterous

Super Moderator
Jun 20, 2006

I did buy a small Treager wood pellet grill last year. It is easy to use and to clean, but it doesn't get hot enough to really sear meat like a charcoal grill.
You can often find deep discounts on grills and smokers at big box stores at the end of grilling season. I got my camp chef smoker for under $100 and some 40# bags for $2.50

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
Why? Propane works well and doesn’t stink up the neighborhood.
Taste and flavor. Propane is nice for quick grilling but that's about it.

$900 is about midrange for pellet grills. People spend that on propane grill like Weber Genesis. As someone who's avid BBQ fan and owns Weber Genesis S330 which I never use, I rather have cheap pellet grill over expensive propane grill. That Woodwind pellet grill has separate searing station unlike your Traeger grill. But I agree, most pellet grills don't sear very well which is why pellet grill and Weber 22 or 26 charcoal grill make the best combo. Do your smoking on the pellet and grilling on the Weber charcoal. Can't beat it.

so, you see in that commercial, they tryin' shit on The Egg? https://www.biggreenegg.co.uk/
You can youtube to your heart's content, that's the best grill money can buy.
TLDR: dont believe ads.
Ceramic grills like the Big Green Egg are nice but in no way the best grill you can buy. Kamados are jack of all trades but master of none. I love my Big Kamado Joe and Kamado Joe Jr. but if given what I know now, if I could do all over again, I would buy a pellet grill like Mak 2 and charcoal grill like Weber 26. That's the perfect BBQ combo. Mak 2 for smoking. Weber 26 for grilling.

That is kind of cool, but only thing with pellets is they have adhesive so is that even safe long term? I feel this would turn into one of those things like how they say using foil is not safe anymore. And you still need to rely on a man made resource, so you may as well just stick to propane.

This got me thinking though... do they make wood fired BBQs? Like basically a fire pit with a grill, but actually called a BBQ? That way you could still use it if there is a open fire ban.
Most pellets are 100% wood. Traeger uses flavoring oil with their pellets which is why I don't buy Traeger pellets.

Pellet grills are the fastest growing segment of outdoor grills. People are flocking to pellet grills and ditching propane because it's better. I'm a big fan of pellet grills because it's so easy to use. It's really like using an oven. You just plug it in, set your desired cooking temperature, and wait for it to finish.

Reactions: kn51

kn51

Aug 16, 2012
Loved the "stink up the neighborhood" line.

Thing with pellets (and not really a big deal) is they absorb moisture. Easy fix, you basically dry them out in a microwave or oven.

Pellet smokers are great for people new to smoking. Set it and forget it.

But there is no "perfect" solution. And was stated, it is nice to have a complement of propane and smoker of your choice. Important part is the learning of the cooker. So use cheap cuts (which around here most ain't cheap and will probably get worst) and forgiving. Pork butt for the win.

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
LOL. I just liked the commercial. I am considering a smoker but I would still keep my grill.

Nov 20, 2009
Until someone comes up with an effective way to keep stinging insects a 1,000 yards away from me then I am not returning to grilling anytime soon. Not easy to do combat grilling with a spade in one hand and an Epipen in the other and also pay attention to how your food is coming along.

IronWing

No Lifer
Jul 20, 2001
Until someone comes up with an effective way to keep stinging insects a 1,000 yards away from me then I am not returning to grilling anytime soon. Not easy to do combat grilling with a spade in one hand and an Epipen in the other and also pay attention to how your food is coming along.
Propane wins again.
1589_85094_v2.jpg

Nov 20, 2009
The stinger bastards aren't on the ground but flying all over the place. I'd wind up burning down my home quicker than burning my food.

I wonder what the insect life is like in Chernobyl ... (remembering when the flies temp disappeared after the 3-mile island incident)

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
I've been trying to buy a used pellet smoker from craigslist or offer up for weeks actually. They are usually overpriced or sell so quick you don't get a chance for the deal. Twice I've been to the point of getting directions to pick it up and had the things sold out from under me. I actually told my wife I want to find a guy who is just looking for excuse to tell his wife so he can get something new. Those are the best deals.

I managed to pick up a big ass Traeger on offer up for 160 bucks. It has the optional front shelf that costs another 80 bucks as well. The guy said it would go straight to 375 and no lower and it had a little rust on the outside only and needed hinges. I live in WA so I'm used to rust. I figgered if it wasn't rusted out I could fix it. I offered full price and arranged to pick it up this morning.

When I got there this morning he lit the thing while I was parking. I looked it over and inside it looked fantastic. There was a little more rust than I expected but it was on in the lid. Only the hinges were broken and the rest looked solid so I loaded it up. The guy said he just needed an excuse to tell his wife so he could buy a bigger one ( score) . I headed to lowes for pellets ( the guy had beat me there and was looking at a huge Oklahoma Joe, I said Hi and we had a good laugh) and when I got home I set it up and filled to hopper to test it.

Its been running for hours at 225. I mean it varies a little because it is burning pellets and not electric but nothing crazy. As far I can tell it runs perfect. The guy had cleaned it spotless so maybe the issue was soot but I'm thinking he was lying to his better half.

I ordered 11 dollar hinges and a grease bucket. I cant wait to try this thing.

Reactions: ponyo

nutxo

Diamond Member
May 20, 2001
LOL. Fraud prevention from my bank called and my debit card is locked. Apparently some dick tried to buy a few thousand dollars worth of stuff from best buy. I don't know how the bank caught it but I'm glad they did. I cant buy anything until my new card gets here.

local

Golden Member
Jun 28, 2011
The one and only time I can recall ever winning something was last year at a vendors fish fry I won a Pit Boss pellet smoker. Not something I would have bought for myself but damn I love this thing now. Fits my lazy meat loving self perfectly.