Please suggest TV , 4K, HDR, $<2000

simas

Oct 16, 2005
Please suggest a "TV" for me
- will never use built in tuner (so tunerless is ok)
- will never use built in speakers (do not care if it comes without speakers)
- will never use built in Wifi if any
- very unlikely to use its 'smart' features (don't care about those as I already have Nvidia Shield and can swap $200 console appliances much more often than upgrade/swap/deal with bugs of $2000 TV). I will never use any of its 'apps'

Desired
- higher resolution (4k)
- HDR
- image quality (I am hoping to keep this TV for 5+ years)

questions
- does it worth to seek TV with Dolby Vision hardware ? I believe this would limit me to Vizio and LG hardware, correct?
- full array vs edge lit , go for full away local dimming, correct?

right now I am looking at Vizio P series primarily. anything else I should be checking?

giantpandaman2

Oct 17, 2005
How bright is the room? What do you watch more, sports or movies? Do you plan on using it for HDR gaming?

P series is really great for movies. Not quite as good for sports in bright rooms where its greater contrast gets washed out by the sun. It's also not very good for HDR gaming. In those cases the Samsung KS8000 series might be better because it has less lag for gaming, more colors, and better motion handling.

In terms of ads though, Samsung requires ads with no opt out..while P series doesn't .

Personally, I still prefer the P-series though.

Most experts think that HDR10 and DVision look the same on nice hardware, while DVision looks better on cheaper hardware. HDR10 has garnered more support by studios because they don't want to pay royalties to Dolby. My guess: HDR10 is the future, DVision will stay niche and will be unnecessary on any hardware (likely expensive) that supports it. That's my guess, though, so take it with a grain of salt.

boomhower

Diamond Member
Sep 13, 2007
Vizio P series, LG OLED or Sammy KS8000. I bought the Vizio. At the time OLED was $1k more so wasn't even in the conversation. I chose Vizio over Sammy for the FALD lighting and Dolby Vision. FLAD being the main benefit but DV not insignificant. With the way DV works it is the better format, whether it wins out remains to be seen but was important to me.

The Sammy would be better if gaming was an important aspect with it's better input lag.

OLED has come down a lot in cost and would certainly be the best picture but does have realitively high input lag compared to the Sammy.

I will give Vizio some serious credit in that they have been very active in keeping updates rolling out for the firmware. If I had it to do over again I would have still bought the Vizio but today I would go OLED if I could squeeze it in the budget.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Vizio P series, LG OLED or Sammy KS8000. I bought the Vizio. At the time OLED was $1k more so wasn't even in the conversation. I chose Vizio over Sammy for the FALD lighting and Dolby Vision. FLAD being the main benefit but DV not insignificant. With the way DV works it is the better format, whether it wins out remains to be seen but was important to me.

The Sammy would be better if gaming was an important aspect with it's better input lag.

OLED has come down a lot in cost and would certainly be the best picture but does have realitively high input lag compared to the Sammy.

I will give Vizio some serious credit in that they have been very active in keeping updates rolling out for the firmware. If I had it to do over again I would have still bought the Vizio but today I would go OLED if I could squeeze it in the budget.
In regard to HDR10 and Dolby Vision there will not be a winner. HDR10 is accepted by the UHD alliance as the baseline standard HDR format for UHD Blu-Ray. All UHD discs have to have HDR10 on them even if they also have Dolby Vision. Netflix and Amazon support both HDR10 and DV and Vudu which is currently DV only has announced that they will be adding HDR10 support as well. There will probably always be support for both.

The biggest problem with OLED IMO is the gaming input lag when playing games in HDR. If that's a concern like it is to me, then it's not an option. That's not to say it's unplayable, but it is noticeable. It's not so much the pricing anymore, at least not based on today's prices.

simas

Oct 16, 2005
Thank you for suggestions - the room is pretty bright (large walkout screen door on one side with open layout). I would be primarily watching movies, listening to music , and using game consoles. the only TV would be coming through game consoles (HD Homerun) and I am not a sports fan.

My hope is to buy it once and for at least next 6 years (given my TV now is 10 years old), thus interest in researching whether requiring models with Dolby is needed...

gpse

Oct 7, 2007
I have a Samsung KS8000 and I love it, very bright picture, HDR looks amazing on it, no issues with the tv.

Reactions: cmdrdredd

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
CES is happening now and there are lots of new models announced. Over the next few months the older models should start dropping price to clear inventory. Keep an eye out if you can wait.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
The biggest problem with OLED IMO is the gaming input lag when playing games in HDR. If that's a concern like it is to me, then it's not an option. That's not to say it's unplayable, but it is noticeable. It's not so much the pricing anymore, at least not based on today's prices.
I believe this was 95% fixed with a firmware update. And unless you're an FPS god or something it's prob not that big a deal anyway.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I believe this was 95% fixed with a firmware update. And unless you're an FPS god or something it's prob not that big a deal anyway.
Nope it wasn't fixed it's still higher than average by default. A lot of people can notice it, not just fps gamers.

Worthington

Golden Member
Apr 29, 2005
By not "fixed" what kind of lag are you expecting? The latest firmware for the LGs (at least the B series) got it down to 28ms when gaming (SDR/HDR). I don't game on my TV but that's pretty competitive with other high quality panels isn't it?

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
I think the Samsung supposedly clocks in at 22ms or something, but that's a vastly inferior panel for 6ms improvement... I thought they got it down to 34, which is about average in the TV space, but 28 is even better.

poofyhairguy

Lifer
Nov 20, 2005
If you care about image quality enough to list it run, don't walk, to get an OLED tv.

It is a whole different class.

WhiteNoise

Golden Member
Jun 22, 2016
I was looking to buy either the LG OLED or the Samsung KS8000 series. I opted for the KS8500 myself because it not only has a beautiful picture and is super bright but it has all the full fledged features I wanted and is the better TV for gaming with less input lag than the LG OLED TV's. I couldn't be happier.

Gerle

Aug 9, 2009
I bought a 55" KS8000 on 23 Dec, got a good deal. A few days later the screen, not the front glass, cracked internally while I was watching it happen, right by one of the support legs. No problem, exchanged it for a new one. That one had the back separating from the front, as if the adhesive was defective. Third one the screen was cracked from the top down. Fourth one has the back slightly separated, not as bad as the second one. I'm keeping the fourth one for now since they have no more in stock right now. Is this to be expected from a $1,200 to $1,500 TV?
Great TV other than these frustrating issues.

Anubis

No Lifer
Aug 31, 2001
you can get the Lg B6 oled fo under 2k for the 55, my friend somehow got the 65 for 2k its a solid TV

gpse

Oct 7, 2007
I bought a 55" KS8000 on 23 Dec, got a good deal. A few days later the screen, not the front glass, cracked internally while I was watching it happen, right by one of the support legs. No problem, exchanged it for a new one. That one had the back separating from the front, as if the adhesive was defective. Third one the screen was cracked from the top down. Fourth one has the back slightly separated, not as bad as the second one. I'm keeping the fourth one for now since they have no more in stock right now. Is this to be expected from a $1,200 to $1,500 TV?
Great TV other than these frustrating issues.
the separating back has been reported for some people, however the cracked screen isn't common. Wherever you bought the TV from must not be handling the devices very good. I bought mine in September from a reputable store and haven't had a single issue, no separating, no backlight bleed, just an amazing tv experience.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
I got it from a Navy Exchange, so it is puzzling to me.
Maybe a worker dropped a palette of them at the store and damaged the whole set they used for your replacements.

I'm currently shopping for a 55" myself. It's for evening viewing, mostly movies and TV but with some gaming. I'd use a Roku and PS3 (eventually PS4 or X1) so the built-in streaming does not matter.

What about Sony's X930D 55"? That's $1600 at Best Buy. ... but then the LG OLED OLED55B6P is only $1999.

For OLED I'm a little put off by a warning I saw in a review not to watch 4:3 content for more than an hour at a time because of image retention.

chimaxi83

Diamond Member
May 18, 2003
Bought a 60" KS8000 over black friday. Really have no complaints after calibrating the TV, picture quality is awesome. UHD bluray on my XBone S looks great, the two 4K channels from Directv look great, the rest of the channels look good, 4K streaming content looks great. Even though you say the smart TV portion doesn't matter, it's pretty damn good, and if you're interested, it has built in Playstation Now support.

It only has edge lit local dimming. It's ok, but definitely has it's flaws, with the edges obviously being brighter than they should be during some scenes. But, that's about it.

All in all a great TV, especially for the steal of a price I got it for. Any of you interested in a Samsung, check if your employer participates in their discount program.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
N Audio Components 3

ASK THE COMMUNITY