Please suggest an OEM HTPC

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
I'm considering getting out of the dark ages. Right now I watch everything on a fantastic quality 32" CRT (not HD). Almost everything I watch is on VHS and/or DVD, but I occasionally watch TV with rabbit ears and like to record shows.

My wife would like it to function as a permanent slideshow of photos and WiFi internet browsing. I would like it to be able to store all VHS and DVDs that I currently have (lets say 100 of each). Although I don't have Blu-Ray discs, I want to future proof this purchase a bit and have a Blu-Ray drive.

I would like to get a new TV (40" to 43", 1080p) and HTPC. I was reading the Anandtech article on the Vision HT 321B and it seemed a bit expensive, but pretty much looked like what I'd want to have. Is this what you would recommend? Or is there better value elsewhere?

Would it work well with my receiver (old Yamaha RX-V530, http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...=lJmhUIa-BMaYqQGj0IHQBg&ved=0CDcQ9QEwAQ&dur=1)

Last edited:

assassin24

HTPC Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
I'm considering getting out of the dark ages. Right now I watch everything on a fantastic quality 32" CRT (not HD). Almost everything I watch is on VHS and/or DVD, but I occasionally watch TV with rabbit ears and like to record shows.

My wife would like it to function as a permanent slideshow of photos and internet browsing. I would like it to be able to store all VHS and DVDs that I currently have (lets say 100 of each). Although I don't have Blu-Ray discs, I want to future proof this purchase a bit and have a Blu-Ray drive.

I would like to get a new TV (40" to 43", 1080p) and HTPC. I was reading the Anandtech article on the Vision HT 321B and it seemed a bit expensive, but pretty much looked like what I'd want to have. Is this what you would recommend? Or is there better value elsewhere?

Would it work well with my receiver (old Yamaha RX-V530, http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl...=lJmhUIa-BMaYqQGj0IHQBg&ved=0CDcQ9QEwAQ&dur=1)

Do you *need* a really small form factor? That's the first question. If the answer is no then there are much much better alternatives. If the answer is yes there still are better alternatives.

assassin24

HTPC Moderator
Mar 27, 2005
Also note that this unit uses a small and relatively noisy laptop hard drive (no SSD which I would expect at that price point) and no OS (add another $100+ for Win7).

Also the "mobile" i5 is not a true i5.

dullard

Elite Member
May 21, 2001
Do you *need* a really small form factor? That's the first question. If the answer is no then there are much much better alternatives. If the answer is yes there still are better alternatives.
I could go a little bigger. But I can't fit a full desktop in the space and still get the 43" TV. I'd have to go 40" then to fit it in the space I have. Noise isn't an issue for me. It goes above the fireplace that we have running (with large fireplace fan) much of the year.

I would imagine the processor in the Vision HT 321B is overpowered for my needs, heck it would be faster than my main computer. But, I really don't know how low I can go and still play anything well. What would you recommend instead?