Please suggest a new mountain/road bike between $200-400.

BG4533

Golden Member
Oct 15, 2001
I am looking to purchase a new bicycle that is in the range of $200-$400 new, but I would really like to keep it to $300. The bike will mainly be used around campus streets and sidewalks where I will probably ride 5-6 miles a day ( I am walking this now and it is slow and tiring). I would also like to use this bike for recreation and exercising and a bit of offroading, but not much more than dirt trails. So basically, I want a mountain bike that will be comfortable for 6 miles a day at least and some extra miles on trails. I would like to spend a bit more on a nicer bike, but bike theft is a bit of a problem and even if I lock it up I cannot prevent people from smashing it which seems to be just as much of a problem. I am new to "real" biking and have no idea what to look for. Can anyone suggest a specific bike in my price range? So far I have looked a bit at Specialized and Giant, because that is what the bike stores around me sell. I am in Columbus, OH and will be going to Toledo, OH for the weekend if anyone has a good place to look in the area or a favorite shop. Also, are the high end kryptonite locks the best way to secure the bike? Has anyone tried kryptonites locking skewers for the seat and wheels? Will this work on all bikes?

Thanks,
Brian

newbiepcuser

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2001
I would PM Fautso1 when is back from vacation, he is pretty knoweledgable.

but here is a link-->Mtn bike review

You could probably get a good used one.

I got Specialized HardRock Comp 2003 model for 399.

newbiepcuser

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2001
Originally posted by: RossMAN
I would suggest sending a PM to Brutuskend as well.

But I doubt Brutskend can ride in a thong or bare like Fautso1, that takes skills. And you have to have a good mtn bike so you don't crush your blue berries.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
Look at bikes from the major mfg's and you cannot go wrong. Trek, Giant, Specialized, Fisher, etc.

TommyVercetti

Diamond Member
Jan 4, 2003
Ok I don't have any bike recommendations, but I can tell you this much. Buy from your local store. Most of them provide a life time or 10 year limited warranty and special incentives (No charge for repair, you only pay for parts, free brake tune up, etc). Don't go and buy from some far away store because they were giving you a better deal. I bought my cheap Motobecane bike from a local store. Anytime I needed a brake tune up, or the gears won't feel right, I would just go there and the guy would fix it for me in between my classes!

Also, I have that Kryptonite lock (that massive $50 lock), and it is very good and sturdy. Get another cable to secure your wheels and tie it with your lock.

sygyzy

Lifer
Oct 21, 2000
You must live in HEAVEN because there are no bike shops like that, that I know of. I just bought an $1100 bike from a local store and $200 in accessories. They give me 1 free year of tuneups and that's it. Oh wait, 10% off acessories in that year as well.

vegetation

Diamond Member
Feb 21, 2001
You might have a hard time finding a road bike for $300 unless it's a close-out sale. $400 will get you something like a low-end Giant road bike. Best advice would be to simply try and ride the bike and don't be so fixated on the brand itself for this type of pricing.