Please send thoughts and prayers to the NRA...

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
For they are in dire fiscal straights and can't get insurance.

Oh the delicious irony.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/nra-financial-trouble-706371/

Specifically, the NRA warns that it has lost insurance coverage — endangering day-to-day operations. “Insurance coverage is necessary for the NRA to continue its existence,” the complaint reads. Without general liability coverage, it adds, the “NRA cannot maintain its physical premises, convene off-site meetings and events, operate educational programs … or hold rallies, conventions and assemblies.”

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
I can't believe we posted similar stories within seconds of each other. Any chance you can fold my thread into yours?

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
Another mod will have to do that. I have no power here. :D

But high five on topics!

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
In that case, I'll post my snippet and they can just lock that one instead. :p My piece:

Keep in mind that organizations will often exaggerate the threat to their financial well-being to try to earn the court's sympathy. With that said, the lack of insurance and other financial access does leave it in a rough spot. The claims of a conspiracy are dubious -- it's basically pointing to tweets and non-binding statements as 'proof.'

Something tells me the NRA won't elicit much sympathy. It's a gun industry-backed organization that exploits mass murders for financial gain, bribes politicians into inaction and has not-so-subtly threatened journalists. Don't worry, though, I'm sure thoughts and prayers will be enough to save it.

Reactions: Thebobo

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I'm personally tickled at the bitter irony of this organization feeling its existence threatened by the lack of insurance coverage.

Geeeee.......what party has made a platform out of ripping insurance away from people?

Last edited:

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
I'm personally tickled at the bitter irony of organization feeling it's existence threatened by the lack of insurance coverage.

Geeeee.......what party has made a platform out of ripping insurance away from people?
I believe that was Obamacare.

Reactions: shortylickens

vi edit

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Oct 28, 1999
I believe that was Obamacare.

Party on Wayne.

bacon-barry-jester-brca-cbo-update-1.png

VRAMdemon

Diamond Member
Aug 16, 2012
I don't know what "media liability insurance is" nor how New York State could prevent the NRA from getting it. Hopefully someone can drop in to explain it. The NRA claims their existence is threatened, but then, the NRA is always claiming that they or gun owners are in existential danger at all times, so who knows? I guess if all else fails, the NRA could just go to their benefactors in Russia for more cash. Oh, wait, Mueller is turning off the spigot there.

Younigue

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2017
I hope they fold. They're a hate group and corrupt to their core. They sell paranoia, fear and hate. Whatever they were meant to be once upon a time hasn't been true for a very long time. They feed off the stupid and the depraved and have no intention outside of greed. And now we know they're traitors on top of everything else... That means their members too.

I really hope they are burning to the ground! It couldn't happen to a better organization!

sactoking

Diamond Member
Sep 24, 2007
It looks like New York fined two of the NRA's business associates, Lockton and Chubb, for offering illegal insurance products that were co-branded with the NRA. Now other insurers are leery of doing business with the NRA and this is all (allegedly) a big Cuomo-spiracy to put the NRA out of business.

Reactions: umbrella39

Stokely

Golden Member
Jun 5, 2017
I'm sure all the Congresscritters that have been paid millions by them will be riding in to their aid somehow.

Reactions: Thebobo

hal2kilo

Lifer
Feb 24, 2009
I'll have to ask the unfortunately numerous people I know who are NRA members (just like religious zealots that wear their religion on their sleeves, they have to wear the seal on their car window) and see if some emergency funding has been requested.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
Party on Wayne.

bacon-barry-jester-brca-cbo-update-1.png
Ah yes, 538, a well known unbiased source of information. I'll choose pro choice rather than be forced to buy coverage I neither need nor want among as many as ONE insurance provider now that the others have left the business.

dphantom

Diamond Member
Jan 14, 2005
I'll have to ask the unfortunately numerous people I know who are NRA members (just like religious zealots that wear their religion on their sleeves, they have to wear the seal on their car window) and see if some emergency funding has been requested.
not yet and I don't think any will be needed.

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Ah yes, 538, a well known unbiased source of information. I'll choose pro choice rather than be forced to buy coverage I neither need nor want among as many as ONE insurance provider now that the others have left the business.

Did you read the sources they used? It's the Congressional Budget Office and the National Health Interview Survey. This isn't 'spin' by 538 -- it's real data. I know, I know, you prefer to ignore objective reality when it contradicts your ideology, but work with us here.

UNCjigga

Lifer
Dec 12, 2000
It's that old axiom, "When you fail at business, blame liberals":

The lawsuit stems from actions taken by New York financial regulators to halt the sale of an illegal, NRA-branded insurance policy. The NRA actively marketed “Carry Guard,” a policy to reimburse members for legal costs incurred after firing a legal gun. In May, the state of New York found that Carry Guard “unlawfully provided liability insurance to gun owners for certain acts of intentional wrongdoing.” The NRA’s insurance partners agreed to stop selling the policies and pay a $7 million fine.
The NRA did not respond to a request for more detail about its financial distress, but its most recent financial disclosure also shows it overspent by nearly $46 million in 2016.​

I guess they probably shouldn't have gotten into the insurance game and exposed their financial institutions to fines. Or spent more money than they took in.

Younigue

Diamond Member
Feb 5, 2017
It's that old axiom, "When you fail at business, blame liberals":

The lawsuit stems from actions taken by New York financial regulators to halt the sale of an illegal, NRA-branded insurance policy. The NRA actively marketed “Carry Guard,” a policy to reimburse members for legal costs incurred after firing a legal gun. In May, the state of New York found that Carry Guard “unlawfully provided liability insurance to gun owners for certain acts of intentional wrongdoing.” The NRA’s insurance partners agreed to stop selling the policies and pay a $7 million fine.
The NRA did not respond to a request for more detail about its financial distress, but its most recent financial disclosure also shows it overspent by nearly $46 million in 2016.​

I guess they probably shouldn't have gotten into the insurance game and exposed their financial institutions to fines. Or spent more money than they took in.
Or sweetened up those ties they have to Russian backing.

Zorba

Lifer
Oct 22, 1999
Apparently companies are starting to realize that it is bad business to associate with people that profit from the mass murder of children.

umbrella39

Lifer
Jun 11, 2004
For they are in dire fiscal straights and can't get insurance.

Oh the delicious irony.

https://www.rollingstone.com/politics/politics-news/nra-financial-trouble-706371/

Specifically, the NRA warns that it has lost insurance coverage — endangering day-to-day operations. “Insurance coverage is necessary for the NRA to continue its existence,” the complaint reads. Without general liability coverage, it adds, the “NRA cannot maintain its physical premises, convene off-site meetings and events, operate educational programs … or hold rallies, conventions and assemblies.”

Well they, for the first time in many years, did not get a renewal from me. I am also one who renewed yearly not getting any multi year discount... To that end I would like to think I had some hand in all this...