please save my magic cards.....

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

yllus

Elite Member & Lifer
Aug 20, 2000
Originally posted by: BigJ
Originally posted by: Special K
Aren't WEP and MAC filtering not really that secure? Couldn't pretty much any script kiddie defeat both of those with a minimal amount of effort?
Bingo!
I looked into it recently for professional purposes and it's really not that simple. AFAIK, it requires that you use a fairly common but not universal network card chipset to do the injections needed to gather enough data to break that key. That alone deters a hell of a lot of people.

Picking up MAC addresses and spoofing those is a cakewalk by comparison.

Q

Lifer
Jul 21, 2005
Originally posted by: Aoleleb
The FBI gave a demonstration 2 years ago on how to crack WEP, takes them about 5 min. Text also has what tools they used.

That's pretty cool

BigJ

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001
Originally posted by: yllus
Originally posted by: BigJ
Originally posted by: Special K
Aren't WEP and MAC filtering not really that secure? Couldn't pretty much any script kiddie defeat both of those with a minimal amount of effort?
Bingo!
I looked into it recently for professional purposes and it's really not that simple. AFAIK, it requires that you use a fairly common but not universal network card chipset to do the injections needed to gather enough data to break that key. That alone deters a hell of a lot of people.

Picking up MAC addresses and spoofing those is a cakewalk by comparison.

Only certain programs require the PRISM 2 chipset. Others have universal support. It really does take all of 5 minutes to get the key.