Please review my components before I place my order

messy

Apr 29, 2007
So I've been building this shopping cart over at newegg for a few weeks now, and I think I may be ready to go ahead and place this order. I just thought I'd get some others' opinions before I went ahead with it.

I'm going to try overclocking for the first time, so I'd like to know if I'm set up with the right parts. If anyone has any better/cheaper alternatives, I'd appreciate your input.

cpu - Intel Core 2 Duo E6600
cpu cooler - ZALMAN CNPS9500
mobo - ASUS P5W DH DELUXE
memory - Patriot eXtreme Performance 2GB (2 x 1GB)
vid card - EVGA 8800GTX 768MB
case - LIAN LI PC-7B plus II
power supply - COOLMAX CUG-700B 700W

messy

Apr 29, 2007
me too :D So what do you think?

and thanks aigomorla, I'll check those out now

aigomorla

CPU, Cases&Cooling Mod PC Gaming Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
made an edit on the PSU

trust me on that psu also. its built by seasonic can handle 2 8800GTX's in sli

and if you have a little more budget.

i recomend the retail version of the mobo. you get better warrenty just incase.

But if your tight, i have yet to see 1 badaxe2 board go bad on me. So dont worry. If a badaxe does go bad, its within the first month or so.

996GT2

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2005
I'm not quite sure of Coolmax's reputation in the PSU market...since you are spending $140 anyway, why not just get a Seasonic, Enermax, or FSP Epsilon of similar output?

Also, the CNPS9500 heatsink is expensive for the performance it offers. The AC Freezer 7 Pro offers similar levels of cooling performance for 1/2 the price. If you want to overclock your system to its limits (on air), then get a Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme or Sunbeam Tuniq Tower 120. Those cost about the same as the CNPS9500 yet perform much better in cooling your CPU.

As for the RAM, you might want to check the hot deal forum for the deal on the 2GB of OCZ DDR2-1066 for about the same price as the DDR2-800 you have in your post. There is also a deal on 2 GB of Crucial Ballistix DDR2-1000 for around $130 AR.

Other than that, it looks decent :D

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
Originally posted by: 996GT2
I'm not quite sure of Coolmax's reputation in the PSU market...since you are spending $140 anyway, why not just get a Seasonic, Enermax, or FSP Epsilon of similar output?

Also, the CNPS9500 heatsink is expensive for the performance it offers. The AC Freezer 7 Pro offers similar levels of cooling performance for 1/2 the price. If you want to overclock your system to its limits (on air), then get a Thermalright Ultra-120 Extreme or Sunbeam Tuniq Tower 120. Those cost about the same as the CNPS9500 yet perform much better in cooling your CPU.

As for the RAM, you might want to check the hot deal forum for the deal on the 2GB of OCZ DDR2-1066 for about the same price as the DDR2-800 you have in your post. There is also a deal on 2 GB of Crucial Ballistix DDR2-1000 for around $130 AR.

Other than that, it looks good :D

which is everything i linked him to :p

Also the board change. Lately i dont like asus... Intel FTW!!!

996GT2

Diamond Member
Jun 23, 2005
Originally posted by: aigomorla

Other than that, it looks good :D

which is everything i linked him to :p

Also the board change. Lately i dont like asus... Intel FTW!!!

Yea well...I was writing my post as you posted so I didnt see it come up :p

And as for the motherboard ASUS is pretty good if you want to try overclocking...but I'd look at their 680i-based boards instead of the 975 based ones.

Btw here is the link to the RAM I recommended...2 GB of OCZ PC2-8500 for $140 AR...simply an unbeatable deal.
http://shop3.outpost.com/product/5162136

aigomorla

Super Moderator
Sep 28, 2005
GAH... no 680i please....

If you dont know what your doing, that board will only bring issues.

If your never intending on going SLI. And most people who do SLI, go SLI from the start. Stay on intel.

And my statement above is because, people who go single gfx solution, by the time they realize they need more gpu power, a newer generation came out. So instead of buying 1 match card, they spend 70 more and get a newer card.

IE... 7900GTX owners -> 8800GTX instead of pairing 7900GTX.

So if that falls under your story as well, you see your changing cards instead of pairing them, stay intel.

i think the tracers are actually more worth it for 30 dollars more :T

Tracers look awesome. :D Also, micron's are made by crucial, so why not get them direct. :T

If you have a side window, you'll like how the LED strobes up and down.

yacoub

Golden Member
May 24, 2005
Hmmm...also for the PSU...found this 700W OCZ unit for just a hair over $100. Very nice deal IMO.

http://www.clubit.com/product_detail.cfm?itemno=CA6276522

wont be as quiet as the seasonic made corsair. :p

Either is good tho op. The corsair will be quieter tho.

The Corsair is not really rated for powering two GTXes. Also my 520w version is not quite as silent as my Antec TruPower II 450w PSU was. Just fwiw. seems to be a decent PSU thus far though.

Shimmishim

Elite Member
Feb 19, 2001
GAH... no 680i please....

If you dont know what your doing, that board will only bring issues.

If your never intending on going SLI. And most people who do SLI, go SLI from the start. Stay on intel.

And my statement above is because, people who go single gfx solution, by the time they realize they need more gpu power, a newer generation came out. So instead of buying 1 match card, they spend 70 more and get a newer card.

IE... 7900GTX owners -> 8800GTX instead of pairing 7900GTX.

So if that falls under your story as well, you see your changing cards instead of pairing them, stay intel.

i think the tracers are actually more worth it for 30 dollars more :T

Tracers look awesome. :D Also, micron's are made by crucial, so why not get them direct. :T

If you have a side window, you'll like how the LED strobes up and down.

the 680i is a pain to learn but once you learn it, it's a fast board... as fast as a 975x board with the right sub-timing tweaks.

i've tried 650/680, 965, and 975... and my favorite so far has been the 680/650 board.

as for those not getting a second card... i got a 2nd 7900gt for my 680 board. yes, i could have paid $500 for the 8800gtx but why pay that when i could get another used 7900gt for $150 and get the performance or close to the performance of a single 8800gtx. anyway. that's my rant on the 680. it's a good board once you get over the initial learning curve. :)

and i agree with you on the ballistix. i own a pair of the 10th anniversary, ballistix 8000s, and after today, i will be the proud owner of the tracer 8500's.