Question Please recommend free Remote Access which actually works. Tried TeamViewer but it fails.

lektrix

Golden Member
Aug 9, 2003
Thought TeamViewer would do the trick but it requires user interaction on the host machine before remote machines can access the desktop. I tried the feature which doesn't require user interaction, so I added myself as a trusted user / asset on the remote machine and I logged in with the special password but it still asks the host machine to accept. Clearly the feature isn't working. Is it working for anyone else or is it for Premium Members only??? Can someone recommend other free software that works???

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
TeamViewer will work in the manner you want, it's just you have to set it up just perfectly to do so.

One caveat... and this is my opinion and experience. TV is vulerable, my computers (all of them HAD TV on them...) were hacked through TV last year. I have since discontinued use of TV. With W10 a reality, now, I've gone to installing Win10 Pro on my computers, Pro has remote capability.

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
I just use the built in windows remote desktop (think it is part of Pro SKU). Works for me, I access my work desktop all the time.

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I wondered how vulnerable it was. Is there something better?

Just about anything really. I have some business customers whose support software products have been using RDP but they've been getting hammered with attacks that end up DoS'ing RDP, so they deployed VPNs to better protect the RDP connection while still making it usable.

One of my customers is using RemotePC (remotepc.com) which has worked reasonably well for them. I shy away from permanent remote access solutions because they provide an inherent vulnerability.

Reactions: Charlie98

Charlie98

Diamond Member
Nov 6, 2011
I shy away from permanent remote access solutions because they provide an inherent vulnerability.

Well... and that was my problem with TeamViewer. It sure was nice being able to log into 5 different computers to do maintenance... but having them hacked sure did erase that niceness.

iamgenius

Jun 6, 2008
Thought TeamViewer would do the trick but it requires user interaction on the host machine before remote machines can access the desktop. I tried the feature which doesn't require user interaction, so I added myself as a trusted user / asset on the remote machine and I logged in with the special password but it still asks the host machine to accept. Clearly the feature isn't working. Is it working for anyone else or is it for Premium Members only??? Can someone recommend other free software that works???
I use teamviewer to access my home desktop all the time with the special password. No interaction from the host is needed!