Please recommend an Android phone

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
It's not something to do right away, but rather to keep an eye on. Once a rom is fully mature (of course some never are), it makes for a decent option for those that despise the Samsung software like myself. The S9 is also several years old now and approaching the drop dead date for continued current support. For people who constantly buy newer phones this again is no concern, but I've seen cases especially with S4-5-6 models where custom mature ROMs give newer Android builds, zero bloatware, and stripping carrier limitations away. It's not something to do simply for no reason, and only hobbyists should bother with immature ROMs on primary phones.

It's the same thing with how some.people love iOS.
whats the bad part about samsung software again? once you disable it how do you get a good camera app with image stability and all the awesome features you bought the phone for? i guess root and being able to do some kinda hotspot would be the one and only reason to do it (but why not just flash to the unlocked fw version) that i can think of. s4 s5 s6? ?????? yikes even my children use s9 galaxy. does the custom os have find my phone features? sounds like something fun to play with, like installing a beta version of windows but not something to use on mainbox everyday. what phone and OS do you use? i guess you would be better off just buying a phone that uses a good rom like a one plus 8+pro but the lowest price i could find was 999$+tax+ with worse specs then s20+ ;( ((upgraded for the 64mp camera))

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Ah it's all just different preferences and such. I have a photographer friend who has an iPhone, but also carries a Samsung Note with several camera apps installed, which all have different pros and cons. The newer GCAMmod has various pros/cons vs the Samsung camera app, basically superior low light and still image performance, but less optimal video shooting. It's one of the things that is being worked on currently : stripping the Samsung stock camera app to be an option to add to Galaxy phones running future builds of Lineage.

I'm not a fan of Samsung pointlessly re-inventing half the core apps of Android lol. The last one I had stock was an S7 T-Mobile, and it was jam packed out of the box with ludicrous storage usage.

Probably the primary reason to go custom Rom besides just being someone that enjoys deeper customization and less bloat, is the ability to maintain support longer, which dovetails nicely with the dev community really getting a handle on all the quirks of a particular device and making outstanding Roms for them. The S9 isn't quite in that territory yet, but say you have an S4, 5, 6, or even the still excellent piece of hardware with the 7 or 8. Samsung ended the 7 with Android 8, and ended the 8 with Android 9.

Here's bug-free Lineage Android 10 for the S8

And S7!

Samsung killed S6 support with Android 7, yet Evo-X has a REALLY nice Android TEN version for it :

If you don't keep phones that long, or don't want to repurpose them for perhaps a nephew/niece/buddy later on, then long-term support and capabilities probably matter little to none. Apple is also varying degrees of awful with long term support, often their 'official' support for older iOS devices just ends up making them slow, clunky, and painful. While running Android 10 on S6 and up is honestly really really nice. And because I like a lean OS with only the specific things I want to use installed, I prefer being able to build a minimalist experience. I also acknowledge that it's not a path for everyone though, at this point I've done many many hundreds of phones and thousands of rom installs, and it's very comfortable and I can tell the difference between a WIP and a daily/primary class of build. I don't recommend someone who is new to the whole thing just jumping without doing a lot of research and having a good reasoning behind the choice to do so.

There's nothing wrong with preferring Touchwiz and the stock experience either of course. YMMV.

Reactions: Muse and killster1

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Ah it's all just different preferences and such. I have a photographer friend who has an iPhone, but also carries a Samsung Note with several camera apps installed, which all have different pros and cons. The newer GCAMmod has various pros/cons vs the Samsung camera app, basically superior low light and still image performance, but less optimal video shooting. It's one of the things that is being worked on currently : stripping the Samsung stock camera app to be an option to add to Galaxy phones running future builds of Lineage.

I'm not a fan of Samsung pointlessly re-inventing half the core apps of Android lol. The last one I had stock was an S7 T-Mobile, and it was jam packed out of the box with ludicrous storage usage.

Probably the primary reason to go custom Rom besides just being someone that enjoys deeper customization and less bloat, is the ability to maintain support longer, which dovetails nicely with the dev community really getting a handle on all the quirks of a particular device and making outstanding Roms for them. The S9 isn't quite in that territory yet, but say you have an S4, 5, 6, or even the still excellent piece of hardware with the 7 or 8. Samsung ended the 7 with Android 8, and ended the 8 with Android 9.

Here's bug-free Lineage Android 10 for the S8

And S7!

Samsung killed S6 support with Android 7, yet Evo-X has a REALLY nice Android TEN version for it :

If you don't keep phones that long, or don't want to repurpose them for perhaps a nephew/niece/buddy later on, then long-term support and capabilities probably matter little to none. Apple is also varying degrees of awful with long term support, often their 'official' support for older iOS devices just ends up making them slow, clunky, and painful. While running Android 10 on S6 and up is honestly really really nice. And because I like a lean OS with only the specific things I want to use installed, I prefer being able to build a minimalist experience. I also acknowledge that it's not a path for everyone though, at this point I've done many many hundreds of phones and thousands of rom installs, and it's very comfortable and I can tell the difference between a WIP and a daily/primary class of build. I don't recommend someone who is new to the whole thing just jumping without doing a lot of research and having a good reasoning behind the choice to do so.

There's nothing wrong with preferring Touchwiz and the stock experience either of course. YMMV.
Really helpful discussion... Thank you!

I'm about to confirm my purchase of that S9 off Amazon:

"Product works and looks like new. Backed by the 90-day Amazon Renewed Guarantee."

Price jumped $10 yesterday, back down to $290 today. I'm in. I already have the RMA of the ebay scratched up S9 rolling.

Just confirmed my order, ETA May 18-20. Fingers crossed. Customer reviews vary. Some get duds of all sorts. A whole lot get as-new S9's.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Really helpful discussion... Thank you!

I'm about to confirm my purchase of that S9 off Amazon:

"Product works and looks like new. Backed by the 90-day Amazon Renewed Guarantee."

Price jumped $10 yesterday, back down to $290 today. I'm in. I already have the RMA of the ebay scratched up S9 rolling.

Just confirmed my order, ETA May 18-20. Fingers crossed. Customer reviews vary. Some get duds of all sorts. A whole lot get as-new S9's.
290 is a crazy price you can get a s10 for that much.

here is what ida bought if purchase right this moment. (i usually shop for a week and look at the buy it nows and grab one before someoen else (my s10+ 512gb with small crack on side was 330 back in august 2019)

im a sucker for larger storage tho 512gb evo sd card is 92$ right now after tax, but at least amazon has free returns usually and if its lIke new that sounds good, im sure you will be happy with the s9 it feels small to me but fun size that fits easily in smaller pockets.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
That S10e with cosmetic defect on back looks pretty bad, like someone heaved it at a brick wall!

Dunno, bigger phone (the S+'s), well, I'm not super into my phones. I use 1920x1080 laptop a lot, 15.6". Videos are nice, and really subtend about the same angle as my 43" 4K TV/monitor.

ATM, I'm not into social media stuff on a cell phone. For one thing, just too hard for me to type on them right now. I've been OK on a querty keyboard since I was 14, even better now. I see people whaling away on their smartphones and I'm super curious but they are almost always complete strangers and I don't want to invade their space and look over their shoulder or something. I would like to see to get an idea of what's possible. Maybe there are some videos out there that would clue me in...

I already bought a 128GB SDXC card for the S9 for $12.99 off ebay (sells for $23.99 on Amazon, same card!). It will take more but honestly I don't know if I'll feel cramped with 128GB. What I store a lot is MP3 audio files. I can always delete some to get more storage. If I get much into video that will take space, obviously. I'll probably want to check out super slow mo video with the S9, put it on a tripod and take video of my golf swing, putting. Will need a bracket for that.

I took a quick look at prices for S10 phones and they're more. Thing is, I don't know how confident I'd be going for a cheaper BIN on ebay. Amazon's guarantee of virtually new phone sounds good to me and the extra $50 or so isn't a problem for me. I'm frugal, yeah, but try not to be too anal about it.

I just wish my Alcatel Idol 4S Windows Phone wasn't flat out unsupported now. I can still make calls with it but nobody's developing anything for it AFAIK, so I figure it's time to move to Android permanently. That Alcatel phone is beautiful, has nice screen, but it's actually lower res than the S9, being 1920x1080. Great sound, weighs less than the S9 at IIRC 155mg.

Reactions: Arkaign

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
Is this legit? Says new, unlocked GSM & CDMA S10 for $395, everything except manufacturer's warranty, near as I can tell.

well for 400 you can get the s10+ hehehe i dont mind a crack on the back cuz its going to be in a case anyway right? if its not in a case it will end up cracked soon enough the same :p i know i would switch to verizon if i was you and get a phone that was verizon unlocked or cdma / gsm yes.

yes it says brand new! but 400$ Is alot of money :p i buy used phones always, never have had a issue.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I already bought a 128GB SDXC card for the S9 for $12.99 off ebay
Unless you bought it from: Newegg, BestBuy (best_buy), or AdoramaCamera, I'm just guessing, but you probably got hosed. Flash memory, other than a few known legit sellers that I mentioned (are there others? clue me in), are almost CERTAINLY FAKE.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Unless you bought it from: Newegg, BestBuy (best_buy), or AdoramaCamera, I'm just guessing, but you probably got hosed. Flash memory, other than a few known legit sellers that I mentioned (are there others? clue me in), are almost CERTAINLY FAKE.
I was wondering that very thing but it looks sooooo genuine! Also, before buying I read a lot of reviews of it from that seller and my impression was that it's legit. You may be 100% right, though. Here's the listing:

Whoops! When I search on the listing in my Purchase History, it shows this:

"This user is no longer registered on eBay."

Not a good sign! Guess maybe I was hosed. Well, seems there's a chance it will work OK??? :(

Similar listing at Ebay:

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
I was wondering that very thing but it looks sooooo genuine! Also, before buying I read a lot of reviews of it from that seller and my impression was that it's legit. You may be 100% right, though. Here's the listing:

Whoops! When I search on the listing in my Purchase History, it shows this:

"This user is no longer registered on eBay."

Not a good sign! Guess maybe I was hosed. Well, seems there's a chance it will work OK??? :(

Similar listing at Ebay:

Contact ebay to get refund

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
On what grounds? Is the packaging no clue if the card is legit or not? Make a claim that it isn't legit? What proof do I have?
Just that the seller is no longer registered at Ebay? Here are photos of the packaging. Getting it out of the package, I inadvertently cut off a bit of the corner of the cardboard, as you see:

SanDisk (presumably...) 128GB MicroSDXC card) Frong.jpgSanDisk (presumably...) 128GB MicroSDXC card) Back.jpg

Last edited:

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Also be warned on extended storage for phones of the S9 class : speed IS an issue with microSD.

Slower memory cards will make using photo/video feel awful if it's trying to write there. And the fast cards are still not as fast as the internal memory.

If you're going to be one of those people making tens of gigabytes per day of photos and videos, probably worth investing in a fast SD card so you don't put excess wear on your internal flash cells. That's one thing I always wonder about with used phones, how they were used before. Anyway, if you're more of a light/mild user, maybe forego the fast microSD and use a budget but legit one, but only for mp3 and download storage, and make sure your normal new photos/videos are set to store onboard, and just stay on top of offloading them.

dlerious

Golden Member
Mar 4, 2004
I've grabbed a few SD cards from B&H over the years for cameras and DAPs. No problems with any of them yet. Usually Sandisk or Samsung with an occasional Lexar - ten to twenty cards around black friday sales.

sdifox

No Lifer
Sep 30, 2005
On what grounds? Is the packaging no clue if the card is legit or not? Make a claim that it isn't legit? What proof do I have?
Just that the seller is no longer registered at Ebay? Here are photos of the packaging. Getting it out of the package, I inadvertently cut off a bit of the corner of the cardboard, as you see:

View attachment 20879View attachment 20881

Scammers usually drop their account or get dropped.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Scammers usually drop their account or get dropped.
Yes, it would appear to be suspicious. However, what I got does look pretty legit... to me. Well, reading reviews at Newegg I noticed it has a 10 year warranty. So, how would I avail myself of the warranty? If I can't for any reason (e.g. because the seller disappeared overnight) I'd think I have grounds enough to return the item. Don't know how that would play out. I went to Sandisk's website and they have a chat but it's not open ATM. I figure to ask them how I can determine if what I got is legit and if it benefits from a 10 year warranty. They may deflect and ask me to contact the vendor, don't know, but how can the vendor help. Maybe the 10 year warranty only extends to buyers from "authorized" vendors.

Before I bought I read reviews of the sales of the card from my seller. The top-most review quoted the buyer's I/O measurements and they looked decent and the seller expressed satisfaction.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I've grabbed a few SD cards from B&H over the years for cameras and DAPs. No problems with any of them yet. Usually Sandisk or Samsung with an occasional Lexar - ten to twenty cards around black friday sales.
I've bought several times from B&H including one time in person at their Manhattan store, which is an impressive operation. I don't remember a problem. I received a Shure MV5 USB microphone from them just a few days ago, unboxed it yesterday. Haven't used it yet.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Also be warned on extended storage for phones of the S9 class : speed IS an issue with microSD.

Slower memory cards will make using photo/video feel awful if it's trying to write there. And the fast cards are still not as fast as the internal memory.

If you're going to be one of those people making tens of gigabytes per day of photos and videos, probably worth investing in a fast SD card so you don't put excess wear on your internal flash cells. That's one thing I always wonder about with used phones, how they were used before. Anyway, if you're more of a light/mild user, maybe forego the fast microSD and use a budget but legit one, but only for mp3 and download storage, and make sure your normal new photos/videos are set to store onboard, and just stay on top of offloading them.
How fast is fast enough? Can I test my card to see if it measures up? Simply write a large file to the card and see how long it takes?

I'll try to keep these things in mind, to write to internal storage, not to the card, that is unless my card is fast enough to support using it creation of photo/video files. Internal on the S9 I ordered is only 64GB, so it may be a challenge. Don't know. I do intend to take video, but could offload data promptly if necessary.

killster1

Banned
Mar 15, 2007
How fast is fast enough? Can I test my card to see if it measures up? Simply write a large file to the card and see how long it takes?

I'll try to keep these things in mind, to write to internal storage, not to the card, that is unless my card is fast enough to support using it creation of photo/video files. Internal on the S9 I ordered is only 64GB, so it may be a challenge. Don't know. I do intend to take video, but could offload data promptly if necessary.
of course you can test it there are several programs that test for fake storage by filling up the entire drive and checking speed and errors. just running a benchmark should be easy way to see and then run https://www.rmprepusb.com/tutorials/-fake-usb-flash-memory-drives is the side of the chip black or white?

• Love
Reactions: Arkaign

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
Do what Killster says there. I'd also recommend taking a few shots and videos starting with no SD installed just to observe the feel of it, and the snappiness between shots, and some 4k footage. Maybe some all mo as well.

Then, install the card and set it to store pics/videos, and redo a similar run of images and videos.

If everything feels good to you both ways, then it'll be good enough. In my experience it takes a bit of a premium card to do justice to an S9.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I was speaking specifically about safe vendors to buy flash memory products from on ebay. Does B&H sell on ebay too?

Of course B&H themselves are a legit vendor.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
ATM, I have not removed the card from its packaging shown in the photos above. Wasn't sure I should. Of course, won't have my S9 for days. Don't want to mess with the S9 one I'm sending back. Waiting for mailing label for it... ebay showed I should expect that label by May14.

"...is the side of the chip black or white?"

Um, you mean the edge? That looks kinda gunmetal, the color of the front below the red part, you see that in the first photo. I don't know what the back looks like without removing from the packaging. I'll probably remove and test it.

"Maybe some all mo as well." What do you mean by "all mo?"

Arkaign

Lifer
Oct 27, 2006
ATM, I have not removed the card from its packaging shown in the photos above. Wasn't sure I should. Of course, won't have my S9 for days. Don't want to mess with the S9 one I'm sending back. Waiting for mailing label for it... ebay showed I should expect that label by May14.

"...is the side of the chip black or white?"

Um, you mean the edge? That looks kinda gunmetal, the color of the front below the red part, you see that in the first photo. I don't know what the back looks like without removing from the packaging. I'll probably remove and test it.

"Maybe some all mo as well." What do you mean by "all mo?"

Lol, sorry, was driving and apparently slo mo got autoco-wrecked into all mo 😅

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Lol, sorry, was driving and apparently slo mo got autoco-wrecked into all mo 😅
Yeah... slo mo is actually important to me. I have used my Canon PowerShot ELPH 100HS a lot for super slow motion video but its screen is way way smaller than the S9's, so I hope I can use that instead.

S9 apparently shipped this morning.

PS... I have never used auto-cowreck. I wreck my own stuff!

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I asked to return it today, saying that on close inspection it's clearly a fake. This is actually true. The packaging is very impressive for a fake. The giveaway is the card itself. The red just above and below the word Sandisk is thinner than seen in photos of the real thing. It was described at one of the several internet pages describing fakes of this particular card. I did not open the package, am awaiting a response from the seller or ebay. Don't know what will come of this. I have another 128GB microSDXC card, the one in my Alcatel Idol 4S Windows Phone.

Um, I also have one I bought Black Friday 2018 still unused in its packaging from Best Buy! If Larry's right, I suppose that one's legit and the one I should put in my S9 when it comes! Whoopie! I didn't know what I was going to do with it but it was a killer deal at the time. I figured to put it in my Canon ELPH, but it has so much storage I never bothered:

SanDisk Ultra PLUS 128GB SDXC UHSI Memory Card
Model: SDSDUSC-128G-AN6IN
SKU: 4097043

Edit: Whoops! That's not micro.

Well, the card in my Windows Phone is maybe (?) OK, bought off Amazon in April 2016:

Silicon Power 128GB up to 75MB/s MicroSDXC UHS-1 Class10, Elite Flash Memory Card with Adaptor (SP128GBSTXBU1V20SP)
$32.99
Sold by: Amazon.com LLC

I suppose it's possible it was legit, but it's only rated to 75MB/s, maybe not up to snuff. Can test it I guess when I get my S9.

Last edited:

Mai72

Lifer
Sep 12, 2012
I just bought a Galaxy S10 last week and love it. I had the Note5 for close to 5 years and that phone was awesome. Held up really well. I didn't go for the Note10 because I didn't want to pay $1k for a phone, and I didn't really use the spen.