Please recommend an Android phone

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Bought a Garmin GPS 5 years ago at Costco, returned unopened because was told here I could get a Windows phone that would do GPS just fine, without using any data and for 1/2 the price... Nokia Lumia 520. Bought 640 later, now my activated phone is a Windows 10 Idol4S. It's OK but, of course, Windows Phone is dead... nobody's developing for it.

I have 3 cheap ($30) unactivated Android phones just for wifi apps around the house:

LG REBEL 3 LTE® (L158VL)

I want to move from Windows to Android. I suppose I could activate one of those cheap Android LG phones but figure I should get something better, something with:

Good camera
Headphone jack
Decent memory, hopefully accept a nice big memory card
Not too big, not too little
Nice screen
Not too cheap or expensive... i.e. good bang for the buck
I listen to MP3 music a lot on a cell phone using headphones but I figure that probably any Android phone with a headphone jack is gonna do that OK?
Some longevity (i.e. not obsolete too soon)

What did I leave out?

Oh, on my Windows phone I'm on an AT&T MVNO. AT&T kinda sucks here, pretty poor reception at my house. I think Verizon does pretty well where I live, so figure the phone should support Verizon (2 of my 3 cheap LG phones do!)

Um, I hardly use any data right now, partly because my AT&T reception is so poor I never make calls at home except with my landline, which is a nation-wide freebie from my internet provider. I'm on a $10/month MVNO cellular plan now for data that rolls over to the following month unused minutes ($197 worth). That's a lot of minutes, but I don't think if I go to Verizon I'll get my old minutes, but I'm not gonna worry about that.

Please suggest what would be a reasonable idea for what to get. Thanks!

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: killster1

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Bought a Garmin GPS 5 years ago at Costco, returned unopened because was told here I could get a Windows phone that would do GPS just fine, without using any data and for 1/2 the price... Nokia Lumia 520. Bought 640 later, now my activated phone is a Windows 10 Idol4S. It's OK but, of course, Windows Phone is dead... nobody's developing for it.

I have 3 cheap ($30) unactivated Android phones just for wifi apps around the house:

LG REBEL 3 LTE® (L158VL)

I want to move from Windows to Android. I suppose I could activate one of those cheap Android LG phones but figure I should get something better, something with:

Good camera
Headphone jack
Decent memory, hopefully accept a nice big memory card
Not too big, not too little
Nice screen
Not too cheap or expensive... i.e. good bang for the buck
I listen to MP3 music a lot on a cell phone using headphones but I figure that probably any Android phone with a headphone jack is gonna do that OK?
Some longevity (i.e. not obsolete too soon)

What did I leave out?

Oh, on my Windows phone I'm on an AT&T MVNO. AT&T kinda sucks here, pretty poor reception at my house. I think Verizon does pretty well where I live, so figure the phone should support Verizon (2 of my 3 cheap LG phones do!)

Um, I hardly use any data right now, partly because my AT&T reception is so poor I never make calls at home except with my landline, which is a nation-wide freebie from my internet provider. I'm on a $10/month MVNO cellular plan now for data that rolls over to the following month unused minutes. That's a lot of minutes, but I don't think if I go to Verizon I'll get my old minutes, but I'm not gonna worry about that.

Please suggest what would be a reasonable idea for what to get. Thanks!

The criteria makes it a bit tricky. The LG V60 has most things covered, but it's big (6.8-inch screen) and not cheap ($950 at Verizon).

Galaxy S20, OnePlus 8 Pro and Pixel 4? No headphone jack.

Pixel 3a XL? It's a year old (there's talk of a Pixel 4a XL that might show in May).

Galaxy S10 family? Covers the bases, but it's a year old and Samsung won't offer great support.

Of that bunch, I'd personally go for the OnePlus 8 Pro and just use an adapter or good earbuds, because I see music as just one part of my experience. But if you could hold out for the Pixel 4a XL, maybe that? It'll have a mid-range chip, but it'll be priced accordingly and still have a good camera and might otherwise fit the bill.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Thank you!

A question... that OnePlus 8 Pro. No headphone jack. I don't see how that would work for me. Several times a week (when I'm working out, maybe other times) I listen to music using Etymotic corded headphones. I do have a high end set of wireless headphones but there's some connectivity issues, not sure I'd be happy doing the bluetooth music thing with them. It's a maybe. Now, you say "an adapter or good earbuds." You mean wireless earbuds (I have the Sony WF-1000XM3), but what do you mean by "an adapter?"

I'm not in a hurry. Guess I could cancel my Windows phone account and activate one of my LG ~$30 cheapies to my current cell phone number and use that for any wireless calls and outside-of-wifi app support until I get my next phone.

That 6.8 inch screen! My Alcatel Idol 4S Windows phone is the biggest I've had and the thought of a 6.8 inch ... seems like a small tablet! I don't know what my usage patterns will be. At least at first, likely not much data used, of course I will travel with it. I really think a 5 inch screen is gonna be big enough.

I'll check out those other suggestions you made.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I'm in the same boat. Looking for a new Android phone, my Samsung J3 (2016) lost it's Mic ability, so no-one can hear me.

Need:
Headphone jack
Removable battery
microSD slot (128GB or larger)
2GB or more of RAM
4G LTE for T-Mobile service
Edit: Must be UNLOCKED for ANY GSM carrier.

Want:
Newest Android possible for the hardware, prefer 9.0 or 8.1, could maybe stand 7.1.2.
Dual-SIM
Wifi calling capability (Not strictly necessary)
802.11ac or even ax wifi (Wifi 5 or 6)
4K video recording

Prefer Samsung phones, but I'm open to suggestions otherwise. Done with Chinese crap phones with back-doors, like Blu and XGody.

Any ideas? Under $200 please, preferably around $100-150. Several-year-old hardware is OK with me, but nothing older than Android 7.1.2 for OS.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yo, Larry, you know what you want... impressive! Welcome to the thread!

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Should I move my request to a separate thread? I thought perhaps some of our requirements might be similar.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Yo, Larry, you know what you want... impressive! Welcome to the thread!
Looks to me like whatever you decide to get may work well for me, assuming the camera's pretty good.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
@Muse I'd say that a good second hand or refurb S9 would be good for you. Ticks all the boxes you gave.

@VirtualLarry Unfortunately the removable battery ship has sailed. You're going to struggle to get a modern phone with one and you certainly arent going to get a decent Samsung one.

Reactions: Muse

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I don't take enough pictures and/or video for the camera to matter all that much to me, just shots of stuff to sell, mostly, and Skype video calls shouldn't look like crap to the other person, but other than that, I'm not super-picky about the camera (panorama, low-light, etc., not necessary for me).

I was looking at a Samsung J2 (2018) on Newegg, from a third-party seller for $97, and some Samsung J2, J3, J7, and "2020" A10e, A20 phones (those are more like $150-200 ea.) on ebay, one seller in particular, "petercell", seems to have a fairly good selection of those, "new".

I haven't done enough research to know if the newer 2020 A10e and A20 Samsung models have removable batteries or not.

That is, unfortunately, a deal-breaker for me. I'd rather stick with a 2018 phone with Android 7.1.2, that has a removable battery, than go with a 2020 Samsung, with Android 9.0, if it doesn't have a removable battery. Just the way I roll.

WelshBloke

Lifer
Jan 12, 2005
I don't take enough pictures and/or video for the camera to matter all that much to me, just shots of stuff to sell, mostly, and Skype video calls shouldn't look like crap to the other person, but other than that, I'm not super-picky about the camera (panorama, low-light, etc., not necessary for me).

I was looking at a Samsung J2 (2018) on Newegg, from a third-party seller for $97, and some Samsung J2, J3, J7, and "2020" A10e, A20 phones (those are more like $150-200 ea.) on ebay, one seller in particular, "petercell", seems to have a fairly good selection of those, "new".

I haven't done enough research to know if the newer 2020 A10e and A20 Samsung models have removable batteries or not.

That is, unfortunately, a deal-breaker for me. I'd rather stick with a 2018 phone with Android 7.1.2, that has a removable battery, than go with a 2020 Samsung, with Android 9.0, if it doesn't have a removable battery. Just the way I roll.
I know where you're coming from with the removable battery, and I'd love it if at least a couple of mid to high end phones came with them just for the option.
Unfortunately it really does limit your choices.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Those LG's I have (OP) have removable battery. In fact, one stopped working, I contacted LG and they sent me a replacement battery. Battery life is real good on these phones, BTW. Then the original battery started working again, have no idea what was up with it. So, I have an extra, which is cool. If the battery gets real low, I can swap for the other.

But the OS is Android 7 Nougat (I think), so that might not work for you, Larry.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
I'll check out that S9... gotta crash now, it's 3AM here and I only got 4 hours or so far sleep, will try for my 8!

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
That "Best Phones with a Removable Battery" link, the Moto E6 Plus, is only $110 on Amazon, looks really nice. Think that I might just go with that one.
Thanks!

Reactions: Arkaign

Hans Gruber

Platinum Member
Dec 23, 2006
The best you can do right now for cheap is either the Moto G6 or G7. I have an assortment of Fisher-Price versions of the Samsung J3 and J2 models.

Reactions: Arkaign

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
Thank you!

A question... that OnePlus 8 Pro. No headphone jack. I don't see how that would work for me. Several times a week (when I'm working out, maybe other times) I listen to music using Etymotic corded headphones. I do have a high end set of wireless headphones but there's some connectivity issues, not sure I'd be happy doing the bluetooth music thing with them. It's a maybe. Now, you say "an adapter or good earbuds." You mean wireless earbuds (I have the Sony WF-1000XM3), but what do you mean by "an adapter?"

I'm not in a hurry. Guess I could cancel my Windows phone account and activate one of my LG ~$30 cheapies to my current cell phone number and use that for any wireless calls and outside-of-wifi app support until I get my next phone.

That 6.8 inch screen! My Alcatel Idol 4S Windows phone is the biggest I've had and the thought of a 6.8 inch ... seems like a small tablet! I don't know what my usage patterns will be. At least at first, likely not much data used, of course I will travel with it. I really think a 5 inch screen is gonna be big enough.

I'll check out those other suggestions you made.

Welcome! By an adapter, I mean a USB-C to 3.5mm adapter. If there isn't one in the box, you can usually buy one (OnePlus sells an adapter of its own, for example). It does mean leaving an adapter connected to your favorite headphones much of the time, but you don't have to go wireless unless you want to.

One thing to remember about screen sizes: bezels around phones are much smaller than they were before, so it's hard to directly compare. I'd still say that phones like the V60 are bigger, of course, but the size jump might not be as pronounced as it sounds.

And you may be in for a shock... finding a 5-inch Android phone, at least one with competitive specs, is virtually impossible these days. Remember that bezel reduction I talked about? Yeah, many modern phones have roughly 6-inch or larger screens, even toward the lower end. Even Apple's 4.7-inch iPhone SE is only slightly smaller overall than the iPhone 11 Pro with a 5.8-inch screen.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
@Muse I'd say that a good second hand or refurb S9 would be good for you. Ticks all the boxes you gave.
I'm seeing S9's going from around $200 refurb to ~$340 new on ebay. Most of the reburbs are listed as "seller refurbished" and a few as "manufacturer refurbished." Now, I'm figuring that the latter are likely a better bet.

However, those refurbs are saying they may show wear, scratches, signs of use, are in "good" condition, but the screen may be scratched. I started to think I didn't want to take a chance on a scratched screen, however they have 90 day return policies, so I suppose if I'm bummed out by the scratched up condition I could pay for return and try again. I figure odds of that aren't high and it would be cheaper than buying a new one.

Another consideration seems to me is the condition of the battery. Now a new S9, I'd figure, has probably been sitting in a warehouse and the battery would suffer, maybe as much as one being used, am I right? AFAIK, I can't replace the battery, but I may be wrong. A replaceable battery would be a good idea, I'd think, even if not easily done, at least doable?

The S9 will probably have Android 8 "Oreo" installed, at least that's how they used to ship originally. But at one point Samsung started shipping it with Android 9:

In December 2018, Samsung began to release Android 9.0 "Pie" for the S9. This update introduces a major revamp of Samsung's Android user experience known as One UI.[14] A main design element of One UI is intentional repositioning of key user interface elements in stock apps to improve usability on large screens: many apps include large headers that push the beginning of content towards the center of the display, while navigation controls and other prompts are often displayed near the bottom of the display instead.[15][16]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Samsung_Galaxy_S9#cite_note-16

Although I figure I'll activate to Verizon I figure an unlocked (i.e. GSM or CDMA) is the best idea.

Maybe I could update the OS?

Edit: The manufacturer refurbished one I linked is just GSM unlocked, evidently. This "seller refurbished" one in "Good" condition is GSM and CDMA unlocked and $20 more.

Last edited:

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Well, I kind of capitulated on the removable battery idea. I picked up a Samsung A01 (2020) model with Android 10 on it, and so far I love it!

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Well, I kind of capitulated on the removable battery idea. I picked up a Samsung A01 (2020) model with Android 10 on it, and so far I love it!
My shipping label was just printed out for my S9, shipment is ETA Tuesday, May 12 from Brooklyn. Don't know if it will have Android 8 or 9, I think it will support 10 and I suppose I should install that? First thing? I'm pretty much an Android noob. I have those 3 unactivated $30 cheapies. Good for music, my workout app. Going to abandon Windows Phone, it's just soooooo dead! This S9 should work with Verizon, but AT&T too. Will see if I will get my minutes rolled over, if so may stick with AT&T at least for a while. Otherwise, Verizon it is, I suppose!

Edit: Poking around I see that what OS to run may not be a no brainer.

Last edited:

Commodus

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 2004
My shipping label was just printed out for my S9, shipment is ETA Tuesday, May 12 from Brooklyn. Don't know if it will have Android 8 or 9, I think it will support 10 and I suppose I should install that? First thing? I'm pretty much an Android noob. I have those 3 unactivated $30 cheapies. Good for music, my workout app. Going to abandon Windows Phone, it's just soooooo dead! This S9 should work with Verizon, but AT&T too. Will see if I will get my minutes rolled over, if so may stick with AT&T at least for a while. Otherwise, Verizon it is, I suppose!

Edit: Poking around I see that what OS to run may not be a no brainer.

I'd use the latest OS as a matter of course, if just to make sure you have the absolute latest security. This isn't like Windows Phone, where Microsoft effectively abandoned much of its existing user base with its first major OS revision. :p

Reactions: Tlh97 and Muse

Muadib

Lifer
May 30, 2000
I just ordered that one. The seller has 99.9% positive feedback and most all of the feedback looks great. Figure my odds of liking it are real good. 30 day return policy, 90 day warranty. I ordered Blue, Good condition, Unlocked (i.e. GSM and CDMA).
You bought the unlocked S9, so it will work with at&t.

Reactions: Tlh97 and Muse

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
You bought the unlocked S9, so it will work with at&t.
So, I suppose the question is if I can retain my rollover minutes from my MVNO. I'll call them and find out... also I don't know if I can just move the SIM from my Windows phone and put it in the S9. :neutral: