Please read. Want to cool my CPU more..

Jun 10, 2002
I have an Athlon XP2000 on an Epox 8k3a. I use an Alpha PAL8045 with a Panaflo L1A (24 CFM, 21dba). My CPU temp, not overclocked, is about 55c. My case temp is around 35c and the room I am in is about 70F. Yes, I know 55c is perfectly safe, but I want to lower them a bit anyway.

My questions are,

a) Would I notice a difference if I replaced the L1A with a ~34cfm and 27dba, temperature wise AND noise wise?

b) I took out my XP2000 and put in a 1.33ghz thunderbird, and the CPU temp went to about 43c. Aren't thunderbirds supposed to be hotter than Athlon XPs?

c) Any other suggestions?

bozo1

Diamond Member
May 21, 2001
a. You would notice better cooling. Noise? Dunno, depends on how loud your other fans are and stuff.
b. Thunderbirds do run hotter than Palominos at the same clock speed.
c. Speed adjustable fan so you can just dial what's comfortable for you noise/temperature-wise?

Jun 10, 2002
Speed adjustable fan? Hmm.. I got the impression those can be nice, but they don't have a better CFM/DBA ratio as Panaflos do.

I have 5 fans on my system. Front two are L1As, back two are Antec thermally controlled (they keep the computer at around 30c..) and the side is a 30dba generic Antec. Do you have any estimate on if I would notice a difference in noise? And how much celsius would that fan I mentioned lower?

Thanks a bunch

Mikewarrior2

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 1999
A couple of things:

Your case temp of 35C with a room temp of 70F (~21C), is a bit high for your amount of case cooling. Dropping the case temp even 5C will yield a similiar 5C drop in CPU temp.

in response to:

b) The 8k3a reads the internal diode temperature of your XP2000+, so that's the real deal, internal core tmeperatures. With the Tbird and the 8k3a, it resorts to teh inaccurate, low-reading socket-thermistor. Which is why you're seeing "higher" temps with the xp2000+, but this is nothing ot be alarmed at.

c). Considering your temps are int. diode readings, your temps are pretty good given all the known factors iwth your cooling, low speed cpu fan, etc. If you really want to lower your temps, i'd really look no further than lowering your system temp.

Mike

Mikewarrior2

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 1999
i'd play around with the fan configuration until you get optimal case airflow + noise for your needs.

What case do you have?

You could rotate your front L1As to the back, for example, to see if they make a difference.

Mike

Mikewarrior2

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 1999
yeah, i'd play aroudn with the fan arrangment... maybe the sensors on the antec fans are preventing hte exhaust fans from pulling enough air out of your case (the ones in the back).

Mike

bozo1

Diamond Member
May 21, 2001
Ack - I missed the fact that you are on a 8k3a. I think 55 is a very good number with the L1A. But yea, if you wanna lower things, do what Mike said. :)

Jun 10, 2002
Thanks. I'm having nothing to do this summer, and I'm trying to overclock (I can't go past 136fsb). It gives me something to do and occupies myself, at least.

One thing that may be of note is my desk has a compartment for the PC. The rear exhaust fans are being blown onto the wooden back part of the desk. If I got some tools and removed it, so the wood isn't blocking the fans, would that help significantly?

I appreciate the answers. I know I can figure all this out by myself, but the cost and the time it would take is a factor.

Mikewarrior2

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 1999
it *should* help... but not sure how much.

it is probably hurting the exhaust capabilities of the back fans... maybe you could pull the case out of its "area" and see what your temps are with full airflow aroudn it.

Mike

Freshbrain

Dec 5, 2001
Just a couple of things, move all cables away of the CPU HSF, try to make them a side, maybe stick them with adhesive tape to a side of the case, so that cables don't interfere with airflow.

From my experience, one intake fan and two exhaust fans well placed can keep the case temps just about 5C over ambient.

jaybee

Apr 5, 2002
Originally posted by: SeybaNumberTwo
Thanks. I'm having nothing to do this summer, and I'm trying to overclock (I can't go past 136fsb). It gives me something to do and occupies myself, at least.

One thing that may be of note is my desk has a compartment for the PC. The rear exhaust fans are being blown onto the wooden back part of the desk. If I got some tools and removed it, so the wood isn't blocking the fans, would that help significantly?

I appreciate the answers. I know I can figure all this out by myself, but the cost and the time it would take is a factor.

OMG you didn't put it inside the desk did you? I have seen those little "computer compartments" before. Obviously furniture designers know jack about computers. Don't ever ever put your box inside one of these computer coffins.

You can solve your exhaust problem by removing the back, but what about the intake? Is it enclosed from the front? Is the intake scoop (or whatever) clear of any obstruction? One more thing: make sure you don't have dust clogging up any filters, intakes, fans, etc.

jaybee

PS not sure I have a good mental picture of where your machine is located...

Jun 10, 2002
The front is completely open and not obstructed.

Update: I removed the top back panel, and it has improved overall temperatures by 3c. Now I'm at an average of 28c system and 49c cpu temp.

I wonder what my next step should be. I guess removing the case from this compartment would help, but I have space issues.