Please Read This Astounding Story of "Justice" Gone Racially Wrong

Perknose

Forum Director & Omnipotent Overlord
Forum Director
Oct 9, 1999
At present, it's absolutely blowing my mind. Here are some teaser excerpts:

PqN41S0.png

EdhDg3i.png

Soon sheriff’s deputies were swarming all over the Ryen house in affluent, suburban Chino Hills, east of Los Angeles, that day in June 1983. Several signs, including Josh’s personal account, pointed to three white attackers, and blond or brown hairs were found in the victims’ hands, as if torn off in a struggle.

Sheriff’s deputies were also contacted by the woman whose boyfriend was a convicted murderer, recently released from prison, whom she suspected of involvement in the Ryen killings. She not only gave deputies his bloody coveralls but also told them that his hatchet was missing from his tool rack and resembled one of the weapons reportedly used in the attacks.

But instead of testing the coveralls for the Ryens’ blood, the deputies threw them away–and pursued Cooper. After a racially charged trial, he was convicted of murdering the Ryens and Chris Hughes and is now on death row at San Quentin Prison.

Smarter people than me have come to the same conclusion. “This guy is innocent,” said Thomas R. Parker, a 30-year law enforcement veteran who was deputy head of the F.B.I.’s office in Los Angeles. “The evidence was planted, he was framed, the cops lied on the stand.”

Parker said the case involved “abject racism,” and he has volunteered his time investigating the case for the last seven years because he is horrified that a man he believes was framed is nearing execution.

Or listen to Judge William A. Fletcher of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit. “He is on death row because the San Bernardino Sheriff’s Department framed him,” Fletcher declared in a searing 2013 lecture.

XBkJWE7.jpg

Z3aLXd6.jpg

I am at a loss for further comment. Just . . . read . . . the . . . story. :( :( :(

Bonus bigotry:

Cooper’s trial unfolded amid the ugliest racism. At a hearing, a crowd displayed signs reading “Hang the great person.” One man displayed a noose around a stuffed gorilla.

Newspapers carried inaccurate reports, apparently based on prosecution leaks, that tied Cooper to the murder scene and suggested falsely that he was gay (seizing upon 1980s homophobia as well as racism).

Reactions: DarthKyrie

Lanyap

Elite Member
Dec 23, 2000
Why is Brown refusing to allow advanced DNA testing that could clear Cooper?

Gov. Jerry Brown is refusing to allow advanced DNA testing that might finally resolve the question of who committed the murders, even though Cooper’s defense would pay for it. Brown refuses to allow even advanced testing of the blond or brown hairs that were found in the victims’ hands.

This is the story of a broken justice system. It appears that an innocent man was framed by sheriff’s deputies and is on death row in part because of dishonest cops, sensational media coverage and flawed political leaders — including Democrats like Brown and Kamala Harris, the state attorney general before becoming a U.S. senator, who refused to allow newly available DNA testing for a black man convicted of hacking to death a beautiful white family and young neighbor. This was a failure at every level, and it should prompt reflection not just about one man on death row but also about profound inequities in our entire system of justice.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
Holy!@#, if you have not already done so, then you need to read that article. The details of PROVEN fake evidence and details of the 3 men with the victim's vehicle... found 30 miles away from Cooper, with blood stains indicating multiple men....

The only thing even remotely pointing to Cooper was wrong place at the wrong time. Everything else screams multiple other men did it.

Reactions: DarthKyrie

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
The justice system, at any level of government, cannot be trusted with capital punishment.
Yes, I agree. In my more hotheaded days, I used to say fry the bastards. But it's clear that they've gotten it wrong way too many times. Justice still must be served as best as humanly possible, just without that awful finality.

interchange

Diamond Member
Oct 10, 1999
Why is Brown refusing to allow advanced DNA testing that could clear Cooper?

That's a really good question. If we go into fantasy land and imagine that Cooper is guilty of this crime. Is there any chance that the DNA testing would wrongly clear him? Otherwise the only answers are political. That's pretty disgusting when a person's life is at stake.

Reactions: highland145

Thebobo

Lifer
Jun 19, 2006
I don't understand this. Is this is really true doesn't seem like something brown would do.

Gov. Jerry Brown is refusing to allow advanced DNA testing that might finally resolve the question of who committed the murders, even though Cooper’s defense would pay for it. Brown refuses to allow even advanced testing of the blond or brown hairs that were found in the victims’ hands.

Considering this.

Last edited:
Jan 25, 2011
I don't understand this. Is this really true doesn't seem like something brown would do.

Considering this.
Death sentence cases always seem to get a lot more push back from the agencies involved when it comes to trying to exonerate. I don't know if it's a refusal to admit fault in the entire process or what but this seems to be standard on capital punishment cases.

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Death sentence cases always seem to get a lot more push back from the agencies involved when it comes to trying to exonerate. I don't know if it's a refusal to admit fault in the entire process or what but this seems to be standard on capital punishment cases.
I think there is something to that, all the more reason not to have the death penalty.

Reactions: Thebobo

mikeymikec

Lifer
May 19, 2011
I think the important thing here is to not read any of the details of the situation and say that it seems absurd that race could have anything to do with it.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
I don't understand this. Is this is really true doesn't seem like something brown would do.

Considering this.

What color were the victims?

I'm not saying Brown is racist just a politician. He releases the "killer" of a pretty white family and he could take a political hit, no telling how large it could be but I'm sure he has well-paid people that told him what to expect. Based on that he chose not to act which cost him virtually nothing politically, at least at the time and likely even now. In a few days the public, the ones that actually read the article and matter to him, will forget about the poor black guy sitting on death row.

Jaskalas

Lifer
Jun 23, 2004
In a few days the public, the ones that actually read the article and matter to him, will forget about the poor black guy sitting on death row.

An advocacy group should organize a protest and hand out posters with Brown sitting in the execution chair. Maybe it's a wanted poster for the murder of an innocent man. Either way, it'd produce PR and social media credit to the cause, maybe even some new memes. This issue would follow the leaders of CA around a lot longer then.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
I came to that decision when that poor guy in texas was executed for arson that killed his two little girls. that guy was 100% innocent.

And there is no telling exactly how many innocent people the state has quite literally murdered. Even if you prove that people outright lied, fabricated evidence, coerced testimony like letting someone out of a 10 year jail sentence for testimony, or a myriad of other illegal/semi-legal things they won't, and often can't by law, be held personally responsible. We need to make it where egregious cases of prosecutors knowingly falsifying evidence, using testimony they know is false, or knowingly and illegally repress evidence that would have proven the defendant guilty they should face criminal charges. Obviously the standard of evidence would have to be very high because we truly don't want prosecutors afraid to do their jobs but there have been metric fuckloads of cases of prosecutors/DAs that have been proven beyond any reasonable doubt to have broken the law in order to convict an innocent person. Most of those weren't on death row cases so they don't gain the national attention, we only really hear about them if they win a big settlement which is their only recourse. By that time the prosecutor who did said illegal shit is usually in a very high paying private lawyer or some partner at a big firm, not only does he not lose anything the city is on the hook for paying for him padding his resume. People who got locked up at 18 and released at 50, serving their entire non-old adult life in jail, because of blatantly illegal activity usually get a few hundred grand. How many of you would take even a few million to serve 30 years in a maximum security prison, hell lets make it a hundred million and no you can't take the deal at 70 or right before you are about to die.

Darwin333

Lifer
Dec 11, 2006
An advocacy group should organize a protest and hand out posters with Brown sitting in the execution chair. Maybe it's a wanted poster for the murder of an innocent man. Either way, it'd produce PR and social media credit to the cause, maybe even some new memes. This issue would follow the leaders of CA around a lot longer then.

I dunno, it probably beats the image, politically, of people handing out posters of the nice and pretty white family that was killed with big bolded letters "Brown let their killer out of jail" or something like that. We all know that the vast majority of those people aren't going to do any actual research. Hell even with the above handouts I'd wager that most of the people will assume that the guy who was convicted must be guilty and won't waste a moments time looking into it.