Please help with GTX Titan :(

benjam3n

Jun 19, 2013
So I have a problem I can't fix. Everytime I try to run anything graphic intense, such as a benchmark like valley benchmark or oc scanner x tests or a video game my computer just loses it immediately, says dvi-no signal, blank screen and my keyboard goes black. Only way i'm able to restart my computer is by flipping the power switch on the PSU. I do believe the CPU led light is turned on the motherboard when this occurs. I RMA'ed the first card back to EVGA, and got this second one and am receiving the same issue, plus EVGA said they tested the card I sent back and found nothing wrong with it. So today I reformatted my drives and reinstalled windows and that didn't work. I defaulted all bios settings, made sure bios is updated, the latest chipset driver installed, ive tried both 320.18 and 320.14 drivers to no avail and i've also got a GTX 670 that works just fine in the same build, i've also disabled HD audio from the card so its not that, i've already moved around to different pci slots that did nothing either, am currently unable to try and use another computer to test the card but like evga said if the first card I sent in had no problems i'm sure its just my computer. I'm also using the titan right now, I can browse the internet and do other various things just fine, the card has power and seemingly works until you try and WORK it. My specs are Asus Sabertooth 990FX, 16GB Gskill 1866 (4x4GB, 2 sticks are new), FX-8150 CPU, Corsair HX850W PSU, H100 CPU cooler and a Asus VG278 monitor, single setup. I have no idea what to do and I don't think EVGA does either, can anyone help please? I'm about to buy a new motherboard(rampage iv formula), cpu(3930k) and PSU(AXi1200) and have it shipped overnight and see if that fixes the problem if I don't find any solutions by 11AM tomorrow/today.

toyota

Lifer
Apr 15, 2001
you need to get that new mobo and cpu no matter what as Titan with an 8150 is a huge waste of that card's potential.

benjam3n

Jun 19, 2013
I know :) going as quick as my money lets me, and my money is coming in rather fast this week. I have the money to order those parts today and i'm pretty sure i'm going to go for it, just don't want this problem following me around if thats possible. It would be a huge bummer to spend another 1400 and realize it doesn't work either.

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
As cliche as it sounds, I'd look at that PSU. The HX850W is a very good PSU and I have no idea why it would be causing issues, but if your setup otherwise works with a GTX 670 then the only appreciable differences between those two cards is the power consumption. Somehow your PSU isn't keeping up, or there's some kind of very esoteric motherboard issue.

benjam3n

Jun 19, 2013
As cliche as it sounds, I'd look at that PSU. The HX850W is a very good PSU and I have no idea why it would be causing issues, but if your setup otherwise works with a GTX 670 then the only appreciable differences between those two cards is the power consumption. Somehow your PSU isn't keeping up, or there's some kind of very esoteric motherboard issue.

do you have any suggestions as far as what to do when i'm looking at said psu ? :) I don't know what to do :|

Eureka

Diamond Member
Sep 6, 2005
It does seem like a power issue. There's really no easy way of measuring the quality of the power supply without an oscilloscope and a few load resistors.

However, 850W should be plenty for an 8150 with a Titan. Unless the power supply is faulty, it's well within that power envelope. I would look into the BIOS settings of your motherboard, make sure there isn't some kind of current limit on the PCI-e slot.

You should be able to run a Titan on a 600W power supply, a 850W should be fine. The 1200W will just be plain overkill unless you're going for Tri-SLI.

ViRGE

Oct 9, 1999
do you have any suggestions as far as what to do when i'm looking at said psu ? :) I don't know what to do :|
Other than looking for scorch marks, all you can do is swap it out and try another power supply.

Edit: There's one other thing you can try. Grab a copy of MSI Afterburner, and turn the TDP limit way down. That will cap power consumption; it might be interesting to see what happens.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003

Not the PSU I'm pretty sure. I've ran GTX 680 SLI and currently my Titan on that same PSU without any issues. I would guess weird motherboard issue myself.

ViRGE

Oct 9, 1999
Not the PSU I'm pretty sure. I've ran GTX 680 SLI and currently my Titan on that same PSU without any issues. I would guess weird motherboard issue myself.
The fact that this only occurs under load makes me suspect it's a faulty PSU. Motherboard issues usually make themselves known with boot failures, not load failures. But this is a weird enough issue that nothing should be completely ruled out.

Tweak155

Lifer
Sep 23, 2003
I refuse to read that wall of text. Break it into paragraphs.

Without reading but the first few sentences, did you remove all overclocks?

benjam3n

Jun 19, 2013
don't know what the problem is, went ahead and ordered new parts, intel i7 3930k, asus rampage iv formula, and corsair ax1200i so this should fix the problem, whatever it is. wasn't planning on upgrading cpu until new intels came out, but 3930k is as good as anything that will be coming out probably and if I feel like upgrading I think they will use the same 2011 socket, right? but yea, my psu is running fine, 11.7-12.1 voltage so it's got to be the motherboard, some fucked up bios feature or something. its just really odd I was unable to find any solution, usually there is a fix somewhere but this problem seems to be very obscure and rare? if anyone finds me a fix, i'll send you $20 via paypal lol :)

DooKey

Golden Member
Nov 9, 2005
ben, unless you are testing the PSU under load with a multi-meter you don't have a good reading on the voltage. Your problem sounds like a bad PSU to me.