please help with driver or psu problem...

Austain310

Jul 27, 2006
i have a xfi extreme sound card...before installation computer was fine...now after my computer is in use for a while (runs perfect an hour or so) when i close an application it takes at least 10-15 seconds. i have the newest x-fi drivers and i just dont know...its either software(most likely) or its psu...i have p4 3 ghz, 6800gs,1.5 gb ram, and that sound card...this is on a dell 9100 (i upgraded) this system has a 375watt power supply...so its either that or drivers/ software included...help? simular problems?

Talcite

Apr 18, 2006
your only symptom is closing slowly? That doesn't sound like PSU to me. PSU is usually characterized by random reboots or system instability or of course just plain not starting =p. I think you should look into driver problems, or perhaps it's just the computer with new software you wern't aware of. When the system starts getting slow to close apps, goto task manager and look at CPU usage and memory usage. Come back and tell us what it says.

Austain310

Jul 27, 2006
pic

in this pic it shows my ram is fine but if you look at cpu when the bar goes up thats when i closed an app...the apps run fine at 20% cpu usage (ive got anti viris in background) but when i close any program (firefox, even notebook) the cpu usage skyrockets to like 60% or higher...my computer didnt do this before i got that sound card...i dont think its a coinsidence :( but i dont know

Talcite

Apr 18, 2006
Well normally systems don't start slowing down until cpu usage hits 100%. i noticed you have alot of other software "accelerators". Try doing a minimal boot, don't load any of the unnecessary programs, and see if the problem still occurs. The X-Fi drivers may conflict with one of those programs, although i doubt it.