PLEASE HELP...Suggest Me a Secondary PSU for GPU.....PLEASE HELP

V@ibh@v

Mar 7, 2016
few days ago i bought a cpu (it is preconfigured HP microtower 6305 business and a amd rx 460 free from my relative) cpu have weird type of connectors as you see it in pics and it it impossible to change the psu to higher wattage for amd rx 460.. so i planned to use a secondary psu to power the gpu only . so please suggest me the psu and how to use it..
{only and if available suggest me a drive bay psu }

cpu- amd 6800k
gpu- amd rx 460
ram- 8 gb ddr3 1600mhz

it is preconfigured hp microtower 6305 in which i want to add a gpu.i already bought both things (hp is free and still in warranty while amd rx 460 is in sealed pack box) except psu ...
So please help.. you are the only hope for me.
please help..thanks in advance
May god bless you
preconfigured means factory configured

these are the pics of cpu
http://imgur.com/a/9HA1y

NeoPTLD

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
You better make sure the card fits in the case.

I'd get a harness and borrow 12v from a SATA connector just to make sure you can get the card working but don't put a lot of load on GPU like this.

320W should be enough and I would tee off a 6-pin video card power cord hacked off from an old power supply into black and yellow wires between the PSU and motherboard.

You still have to splice wires to tap the second PSU into PS_ON so they both come on together.

V@ibh@v

Mar 7, 2016
yes....card fits in the case ..no problem with size.
real problem is powering the gpu..
one more thing hp has only limited connectors and now only one is left (3 is used ) and all of them is sata not molex..
my questions that secondary psu is right for that my case or not..which on eis best ...

V@ibh@v

Mar 7, 2016
PLEASE HELP ME YOU ARE THE HOPE FOR ME..
SINCE ONE MONTH I"M SEEING MY PC AS A IDOL AND FREIND CALLED IT F*****G BOX ..NOW I WANT TO POWER IT AND HAVE FUN ...PLEASE HELP ME
I"M VERY FRUSTRATED
BECAUSE SOME PEOPLE SAYS IT IS RIGHT WHILE SOME SAYS IT IS EXTREMELY DANGEROUS YOU CAN BURN YOURSELF OR MAY BE KILL.
SO PLEASE SHOW ME THE WAY TO POWER IT
MAY GOD BLESS YOU..
I'WILL DO ANYTHING TO POWER THIS.

NeoPTLD

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
So, you obtain a 6-pin PCI-E cut off from old PSUs which you probably get from places that take back old PCs. You splice it into the 12v between the power supply and motherboard. This means cutting wires and soldering.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Should have gotten one of the RX460 models that DOESN'T REQUIRE a 6-pin PCI-E connector. Return your video card and get one of those.

ylin0811

Jun 1, 2015
There is an adapter called 'add2psu' on amazon that allows you to run two power supply units. I have never tried it, but it does have good reviews. Check it out.

NeoPTLD

Platinum Member
Nov 23, 2001
https://www.amazon.com/Branded-8inch-15pin-Express-Power/dp/B005NJXY7O

Easy.
No splicing. No second PSU. That is all you need.

Each connector is limited to 4 1/2A (54 watt) so he should really get it from two connectors on different strings. After you look at his pictures, you can see the SATA power connector starts at the mobo and I prefer not to go this route if avoidable.

Auto parts store might have a snake bite splice kit that can be used to tap into a wire without cutting it completely and this might be the best option.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Each connector is limited to 4 1/2A (54 watt) so he should really get it from two connectors on different strings. After you look at his pictures, you can see the SATA power connector starts at the mobo and I prefer not to go this route if avoidable.

Auto parts store might have a snake bite splice kit that can be used to tap into a wire without cutting it completely and this might be the best option.
The RX460 will leave enough breathing room, even with a long extension cable to a single SATA connector. After all, 75 watts is supposed to come out of the PCIe slot. Hence, the 6 pin is just to leave enough flexibility in case someone decides to overclock and run Furmark, thus resulting peak consumption going beyond the the TDP and the PCIe limits.

Tom's results on the card's DC power consumption
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/amd-radeon-rx-460,4707-5.html

Also, I am not sure if this guy is in the States. He might be Indian, and I wonder how auto parts stores are distributed over there.

If he is in the States, it seems like drive bay PSUs have went the way of the dodo about three years ago or so, with FSP being the most recent seller of such a thing.

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
i think second psu is best for me..
Well, you're wrong. An adapter from two SATA or molex connectors will be much easier to set up and cost much less.

A secondary PSU isn't really a thing anyway. Almost no one uses two PSU's and for good reason - normal computers are designed to be powered by one PSU at a time. Either you use one PSU with adapters while making sure you have enough watts available, or you replace your PSU with a suitably more powerful PSU.

Torn Mind

Lifer
Nov 25, 2012
Well, you're wrong. An adapter from two SATA or molex connectors will be much easier to set up and cost much less.

A secondary PSU isn't really a thing anyway. Almost no one uses two PSU's and for good reason - normal computers are designed to be powered by one PSU at a time. Either you use one PSU with adapters while making sure you have enough watts available, or you replace your PSU with a suitably more powerful PSU.
His computer only can use up one SATA connector since two are already occupied and the shape is nonstandard.

I believe he wants to use something like this:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/191793230073?lpid=82&chn=ps&ul_noapp=true

Only thing, I do not see any vendors selling them anymore here in the U.S. Hunting around for a used one is the only way to go.

https://www.amazon.com/FSP-Certifie...11&ie=UTF8&qid=1383645259&sr=1-1&keywords=FSP

Now, the one SATA connector left will still need an adapter to connect to the secondary unit with a SATA to molex adapter.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkqPyuM2sxE

lehtv

Elite Member
Dec 8, 2010
His computer only can use up one SATA connector since two are already occupied and the shape is nonstandard.

SATA y-cable for the two drives -> 2 free SATA for the adapter. If that doesn't work, buy an entirely new PSU and case. Fiddling around with "dual PSU's" is silly

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
SATA y-cable for the two drives -> 2 free SATA for the adapter. If that doesn't work, buy an entirely new PSU and case. Fiddling around with "dual PSU's" is silly
I agree that the best way to get this done is an SATA splitter, but a new PSU and case ain't gonna solve this problem. That board is funky. You'd need a board, case, and PSU.

here's the cables out from the PSU:
  • 1 x 6 3x2 PIN
  • 1 x 4 2x2 PIN
  • 1 x Flat 6 PIN

Last edited:
Reactions: MongGrel

V@ibh@v

Mar 7, 2016
drive bay psu are discontinued...
i think i would return this and a get a new one with without a power connector..
or after returning it should i wait for nvidia 1050....
it is releasing in october..and MOST IMPORTANT it dont have power connectors.

V@ibh@v

Mar 7, 2016
i think power using molex connector is not safe because some times amd goes higher than 100 watt .and mine cpu also go above 100 watt that is why it is not safe...
i dont want to go in trouble..
all i can now wait to release new nvidia and replace amd with nvidia...
one question more should i replace amd with nvidia or go for a amd (with power without connector)

ElFenix

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Mar 20, 2000
your choice but the 460 is almost certainly slower than the 1050 will be.