Please help, rediculous vcores

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004
All settings are stock and vcore1 seems fine. Bios set 1.1625 and with vdroop 1.12 is shown for core one but core2 is shown at 1.89v!!

I've confirmed core 2 heats up much faster, hitting the 70 degree alarm limit in seconds when with ORTHOS.

Everything is set as auto as the computer came. Anyone know why it's like this? I'm not going to be able to run the cpu at 1.89v.

screenshot:
http://img510.imageshack.us/my...?image=vcore189ks4.jpg

It's the stock intel cooler and it idles at around 44-45*C but it goes up to above 70*C in about 30seconds.

edit: looks like core1 means vtt not actual core voltage. I reinstalled the cooler and the load temp running ORTHOS CPU Stress Small FFTs is around 69 degrees.

Still seems high though since I have 3 120mm fans, 1 80mm fan and a 120mm psu fan in the case.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I don't see anything out of place. Vcore1 is your CPU vcore, Vcore2 is likely to be your DRAM vcore.

CoinOperatedBoy

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2008
I'm pretty sure Vcore is constant across both cores; you shouldn't have two different reported Vcores. I also wouldn't think you'd be seeing Vtt as Vcore1. Can't you compare with the voltages your BIOS reports to confirm which is which? Those are high idle temps. What is your ambient temperature?

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004
Originally posted by: CoinOperatedBoy
I'm pretty sure Vcore is constant across both cores; you shouldn't have two different reported Vcores. I also wouldn't think you'd be seeing Vtt as Vcore1. Can't you compare with the voltages your BIOS reports to confirm which is which? Those are high idle temps. What is your ambient temperature?

Those arent exactly ambient, ambient at idle is around 34-36C and cpu idle is around 46/47C. I'm going out to buy some real thermal paste today, the intel preapplied stuff is ridiculous.

CoinOperatedBoy

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2008
Originally posted by: mwmorph

Those arent exactly ambient, ambient at idle is around 34-36C and cpu idle is around 46/47C. I'm going out to buy some real thermal paste today, the intel preapplied stuff is ridiculous.

Ambient = temperature of the room. I'm not sure what idle CPU usage would have to do with it. If your ambient temperature is 34C, that's a very hot room and I'm not sure what you could expect from your cooling solution in that case.

mwmorph

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2004

Ambient = temperature of the room. I'm not sure what idle CPU usage would have to do with it. If your ambient temperature is 34C, that's a very hot room and I'm not sure what you could expect from your cooling solution in that case.

I got my cooling and voltage issues sorted out, thanks. Ambient is 75*F/23*C and after replacing the intel cooler, temps dropped like a rock.

CoinOperatedBoy

Golden Member
Dec 11, 2008
I got my cooling and voltage issues sorted out, thanks. Ambient is 75*F/23*C and after replacing the intel cooler, temps dropped like a rock.

Glad to hear that you're not in a 95F room and that replacing your stock HSF worked out for you. :)