Please help or I may destroy my very expensive PC

EricOtown

Sep 6, 2020
I had a custom built PC with the following components:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-8600K Processor (6x 3.60GHz/9MB L3 Cache)
CPU Cooling: DEEPCOOL Captain 240EX 240mm Liquid Cooling System
Motherboard: ASUS TUF Z370-PLUS GAMING -- RGB, ASUS TUF Protection
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming GPU w/ Hybrid Liquid Cooled; 11GB GDDR6; iCX2; 9 Thermal Sensors
RAM: 16 GB [8 GB X2] DDR4-3000 G. Skill Rip Jaws
Power Supply: 850 Watt - Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB - 80 PLUS Gold
Primary Drive: 500 GB WD Blue SSD -- Read: 545MB/s, Write: 525MB/s
Sound Card: 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
Primary Monitor: LG 38” Ultra-wide 21:9 Curved Nano IPS w/ HDR 400; WQHD+ (3840 x 1600); NVIDIA G-Sync; 144 Hz Refresh (175 Hz Overclock); 1ms response time
Secondary Monitor: 27” Touchscreen
Operating System: Windows 10 Home (64-bit)

The reoccurring problem that I kept having was that my PC with reboot when playing many intensive FPS games and flight simulators. The reboot usually happened when I would switch from the game/simulator menus to launch a new match/flight. The split second that I hit the button to start a new flight or a new match my PC would immediately reboot and when I checked all the logs, there was no proceeding errors. The only logs pertained to shutting down my PC improperly. I don’t think my PC was crashing. I got no blue screen and no messages upon rebooting that my PC crashed. My PC just immediately turns off and then a few seconds later, it powers back on normally. Similar to when you select “Restart PC” in the Windows Start menu. And the restart almost always happens immediately after I click on the button to go from the game/simulator menu screens to begin a new battle/flight.

For example, in the new Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 (MSFS 2020), the application runs perfectly fine when I’m in the simulator menus, hanger, and flight set up screens, getting my plane ready for a new flight, but 1 millisecond after I hit the “Flight” button to begin my flight, either on the runway or in the air, my PC immediately reboots, every single time. The same exact thing happens in Call of Duty. I had no problems when in the menu‘s getting my soldier ready for battle, but immediately after I hit the button to launch into a new battle, my PC reboots every time.

I checked my all my temps right before launching into new flights and new battles and all my temps are low, around 45 degrees Celsius for my CPU and 55 degrees Celsius for my GPU. Also my CPU, GPU, memory, and RAM usage percentages were all well under 40% while on the menu screens in MSFS2020 and COD. I don’t know what the percentages would have gone up to when launching a new flight or new battle, because my PC reboots immediately after I hit the button to enter into a new flight and new battle. Surely my temps don't have time to increase from very low to too hot in the millisecond before my PC reboots.

So unrelated to this issue, I had planned to upgrade some of my PC to prepare for buying a VR headset for my family this Christmas. So last week I upgraded to the following PC components and OS:

CPU: Intel® Core i9 10900KF; Base Clock 3.7 GHz (Max Boost 5.3 GHz) 10-Core; 20-Thread; LGA 1200
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z490 AORUS ULTRA w/ Triple M.2 WIFI 6 AX; SATA 6 GB/s
RAM: 32 GB [16 GB X2] DDR4-3600 G.Skill RipJaws V Series Timing 16-19-19-39; CAS Latency 16; Voltage 1.35V
Primary Drive: 1 TB NVME M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus (Read 3,300 MB/s; Write 3,500 MB/s)
Secondary Drive: 1 TB NVME M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus (Read 3,300 MB/s; Write 3,500 MB/s)
Third Drive: 500 GB WD Blue SSD -- Read: 545MB/s, Write: 525MB/s
Fourth Drive: 3 TB HDD
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)

I also did a clean install of a Windows 10 Pro and started with blank newly formatted SSD’s. I manually downloaded and did clean installs of all the 3rd party software that I had on my old SSD. This included clean installs of all my drivers including my GPU drivers, which I have uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times, before and after upgrading these components.

So after upgrading all these components and starting with a clean install of Windows 10 Pro, drivers, 3rd party software, & blank newly formatted hard drives, my PC still reboots every time with MSFS 2020, Call of Duty, and other intensive games and almost always immediately when switching from the game menus to launch into a new flight/battle.

On very rare occasions, MSFS 2020 and Call of Duty, will actually load into a new flight/battle and on these very rare occasions, I can actually complete my flight/battle, but the exact millisecond that I hit the button to end the flight/battle and return to the main menu, my PC immediately reboots.

I have tried tons of different fixes before I upgraded all these components and I’ve tried all the same fixes after I upgraded these components. Here’s a list of just the fixes that I can remember trying; I know there were more that I’ve tried:

-I’ve turned OFF the Windows Advanced Settings option “automatically restart PC”, but my PC still reboots in the exact same spot

-I’ve turned off my firewall, and virus software; I’ve turned them back on

-I’ve scanned my SSD’s for errors

-I’ve run multiple gaming benchmarks since I upgraded my CPU, motherboard, SSD’s, RAM, and OS and my PC never rebooted or crashed during the benchmarks and my benchmarks were really good. In one benchmark that I ran, my PC scored in the top 50 in the World

-I’ve checked the Windows Event Logs for the time period immediately proceeding each reboot, but the only error logs are for powering down my PC incorrectly. Nothing out of the ordinary proceeds each reboot In the Event Logs

-I’ve done clean installs of Windows

-I’ve done clean installs of the MSFS 2020, COD, and other games

-I‘be unplugged all USB peripherals from my PC other than my primary monitor, Keyboard, and mouse

-I’ve removed the overclock of my GPU and returned it to the default factory state

-I’ve unplugged my 2nd monitor

-I’ve used a 3rd party software called Process Lasso to implement some suggested fixes I found on reddit

-I’ve changed numerous NVIDIA Control Panel Settings including setting Power Management Mode to “Prefer maximize performance”; “Adaptive”, and “Optimal Power”; none of these Power Management settings helped get rid of my rebooting problem

-I’ve turned Windows Game Mode on and off

-I’ve changed Windows Task Manager priority for MSFS 2020, COD, and other games in question to high, normal, low, and realtime

-I’ve run the apps in question as Administrator

-I’ve tried with HDR on and off in Windows Settings

The only fix that worked, but it isn’t really a long term fix as much as it is a diagnosis tool, is that whenever I run Call of Duty in Safe Mode, it doesn't reboot my PC, but the graphics suck because its stretching the display when in safe mode for some reason. I was unable to try running MSFS 2020 in safe mode, because the app needs a network connection to even just launch the app initially and unfortunately Safe Mode doesn’t allow WiFi connections and my PC is across my house from my modem and router, so I can’t connect my PC via LAN cable. I read somewhere that if an problem disappears when in safe mode, that helps to eliminate some possible causes and may focus on some potential causes.

One fix that I haven’t tried yet is to replace my PSU. I’ve ordered a new PSU from Newegg and it should arrive by Wednesday. I wanted to get a Seasonic PSU because they come so highly recommended, but the Seasonic PSU‘s that I wanted were either out of stock or way overpriced on Amazon and other online stores. So I ended up ordering an EVGA SuperNova 1000W G5 80 Plus Gold; Fully Modular w/ FDB fan & 91% efficiency.

So I figured while I’m waiting for my new PSU to arrive on Wednesday, I would ask for some advice on some other possible fixes and/or diagnosis methods that I can try, because with my luck, installing a new PSU won’t fix my issue and I’ll be back at square one.

Steltek

Diamond Member
Mar 29, 2001
The only two major components you carried over between the systems were the power supply and video card. You had and are having similar/the same problems with both systems, so logically it is likely one of those two components. Of the two, I'd suspect the PSU as far more likely to be the culprit than the GPU.

I wouldn't do anything else with your new build until you have installed the new PSU. Once the new PSU is in place, and you've double-checked all the power cables, if it happens again the next step is obviously to swap out the GPU.

Reactions: VirtualLarry

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Just reading your initial component list, and knowing that you were having crashing / reboot issues, my first thought was immediately "PSU problem", especially with a ThermalTake (they aren't known for quality PSUs).

I hope that your new PSU fixes the issues. If not, then as @Steltek says, look at replacing the GPU next, or get it RMA'ed under warranty.

Barring that, you mentioned removing your GPU overclock as something that you tried to fix your problem. What exactly was your GPU OC? I wonder if you damaged your GPU due to OC?

Edit: Another thing that you might want to try, is some of the suggested software workarounds for the 2080ti "Space Invaders" issue. It basically involves disabling power-management (I don't know if they mean the card, or the PCI-E link state). But basically forcing it to "full power" all of the time, to avoid power-state transitions that can cause crashes on some cards. Maybe that's the issue with yours, and it's not the PSU at all.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
-I’ve changed numerous NVIDIA Control Panel Settings including setting Power Management Mode to “Prefer maximize performance”; “Adaptive”, and “Optimal Power”; none of these Power Management settings helped get rid of my rebooting problem
Hmm, so you did try some of those fixes. Did you also disable "PCI-E Link State Power Management" under the Windows Power Management Advanced Options?

[DHT]Osiris

Lifer
Dec 15, 2015
I had a custom built PC with the following components:

CPU: Intel® Core™ i5-8600K Processor (6x 3.60GHz/9MB L3 Cache)
CPU Cooling: DEEPCOOL Captain 240EX 240mm Liquid Cooling System
Motherboard: ASUS TUF Z370-PLUS GAMING -- RGB, ASUS TUF Protection
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti FTW3 Ultra Gaming GPU w/ Hybrid Liquid Cooled; 11GB GDDR6; iCX2; 9 Thermal Sensors
RAM: 16 GB [8 GB X2] DDR4-3000 G. Skill Rip Jaws
Power Supply: 850 Watt - Thermaltake Toughpower Grand RGB - 80 PLUS Gold
Primary Drive: 500 GB WD Blue SSD -- Read: 545MB/s, Write: 525MB/s
Sound Card: 3D Premium Surround Sound Onboard
Primary Monitor: LG 38” Ultra-wide 21:9 Curved Nano IPS w/ HDR 400; WQHD+ (3840 x 1600); NVIDIA G-Sync; 144 Hz Refresh (175 Hz Overclock); 1ms response time
Secondary Monitor: 27” Touchscreen
Operating System: Windows 10 Home (64-bit)

The reoccurring problem that I kept having was that my PC with reboot when playing many intensive FPS games and flight simulators. The reboot usually happened when I would switch from the game/simulator menus to launch a new match/flight. The split second that I hit the button to start a new flight or a new match my PC would immediately reboot and when I checked all the logs, there was no proceeding errors. The only logs pertained to shutting down my PC improperly. I don’t think my PC was crashing. I got no blue screen and no messages upon rebooting that my PC crashed. My PC just immediately turns off and then a few seconds later, it powers back on normally. Similar to when you select “Restart PC” in the Windows Start menu. And the restart almost always happens immediately after I click on the button to go from the game/simulator menu screens to begin a new battle/flight.

For example, in the new Microsoft Flight Simulator 2020 (MSFS 2020), the application runs perfectly fine when I’m in the simulator menus, hanger, and flight set up screens, getting my plane ready for a new flight, but 1 millisecond after I hit the “Flight” button to begin my flight, either on the runway or in the air, my PC immediately reboots, every single time. The same exact thing happens in Call of Duty. I had no problems when in the menu‘s getting my soldier ready for battle, but immediately after I hit the button to launch into a new battle, my PC reboots every time.

I checked my all my temps right before launching into new flights and new battles and all my temps are low, around 45 degrees Celsius for my CPU and 55 degrees Celsius for my GPU. Also my CPU, GPU, memory, and RAM usage percentages were all well under 40% while on the menu screens in MSFS2020 and COD. I don’t know what the percentages would have gone up to when launching a new flight or new battle, because my PC reboots immediately after I hit the button to enter into a new flight and new battle. Surely my temps don't have time to increase from very low to too hot in the millisecond before my PC reboots.

So unrelated to this issue, I had planned to upgrade some of my PC to prepare for buying a VR headset for my family this Christmas. So last week I upgraded to the following PC components and OS:

CPU: Intel® Core i9 10900KF; Base Clock 3.7 GHz (Max Boost 5.3 GHz) 10-Core; 20-Thread; LGA 1200
Motherboard: Gigabyte Z490 AORUS ULTRA w/ Triple M.2 WIFI 6 AX; SATA 6 GB/s
RAM: 32 GB [16 GB X2] DDR4-3600 G.Skill RipJaws V Series Timing 16-19-19-39; CAS Latency 16; Voltage 1.35V
Primary Drive: 1 TB NVME M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus (Read 3,300 MB/s; Write 3,500 MB/s)
Secondary Drive: 1 TB NVME M.2 Samsung 970 Evo Plus (Read 3,300 MB/s; Write 3,500 MB/s)
Third Drive: 500 GB WD Blue SSD -- Read: 545MB/s, Write: 525MB/s
Fourth Drive: 3 TB HDD
Operating System: Windows 10 Pro (64-bit)

I also did a clean install of a Windows 10 Pro and started with blank newly formatted SSD’s. I manually downloaded and did clean installs of all the 3rd party software that I had on my old SSD. This included clean installs of all my drivers including my GPU drivers, which I have uninstalled and reinstalled multiple times, before and after upgrading these components.

So after upgrading all these components and starting with a clean install of Windows 10 Pro, drivers, 3rd party software, & blank newly formatted hard drives, my PC still reboots every time with MSFS 2020, Call of Duty, and other intensive games and almost always immediately when switching from the game menus to launch into a new flight/battle.

On very rare occasions, MSFS 2020 and Call of Duty, will actually load into a new flight/battle and on these very rare occasions, I can actually complete my flight/battle, but the exact millisecond that I hit the button to end the flight/battle and return to the main menu, my PC immediately reboots.

I have tried tons of different fixes before I upgraded all these components and I’ve tried all the same fixes after I upgraded these components. Here’s a list of just the fixes that I can remember trying; I know there were more that I’ve tried:

-I’ve turned OFF the Windows Advanced Settings option “automatically restart PC”, but my PC still reboots in the exact same spot

-I’ve turned off my firewall, and virus software; I’ve turned them back on

-I’ve scanned my SSD’s for errors

-I’ve run multiple gaming benchmarks since I upgraded my CPU, motherboard, SSD’s, RAM, and OS and my PC never rebooted or crashed during the benchmarks and my benchmarks were really good. In one benchmark that I ran, my PC scored in the top 50 in the World

-I’ve checked the Windows Event Logs for the time period immediately proceeding each reboot, but the only error logs are for powering down my PC incorrectly. Nothing out of the ordinary proceeds each reboot In the Event Logs

-I’ve done clean installs of Windows

-I’ve done clean installs of the MSFS 2020, COD, and other games

-I‘be unplugged all USB peripherals from my PC other than my primary monitor, Keyboard, and mouse

-I’ve removed the overclock of my GPU and returned it to the default factory state

-I’ve unplugged my 2nd monitor

-I’ve used a 3rd party software called Process Lasso to implement some suggested fixes I found on reddit

-I’ve turned Windows Game Mode on and off

-I’ve changed Windows Task Manager priority for MSFS 2020, COD, and other games in question to high, normal, low, and realtime

-I’ve run the apps in question as Administrator

-I’ve tried with HDR on and off in Windows Settings

The only fix that worked, but it isn’t really a long term fix as much as it is a diagnosis tool, is that whenever I run Call of Duty in Safe Mode, it doesn't reboot my PC, but the graphics suck because its stretching the display when in safe mode for some reason. I was unable to try running MSFS 2020 in safe mode, because the app needs a network connection to even just launch the app initially and unfortunately Safe Mode doesn’t allow WiFi connections and my PC is across my house from my modem and router, so I can’t connect my PC via LAN cable. I read somewhere that if an problem disappears when in safe mode, that helps to eliminate some possible causes and may focus on some potential causes.

One fix that I haven’t tried yet is to replace my PSU. I’ve ordered a new PSU from Newegg and it should arrive by Wednesday. I wanted to get a Seasonic PSU because they come so highly recommended, but the Seasonic PSU‘s that I wanted were either out of stock or way overpriced on Amazon and other online stores. So I ended up ordering an EVGA SuperNova 1000W G5 80 Plus Gold; Fully Modular w/ FDB fan & 91% efficiency.

So I figured while I’m waiting for my new PSU to arrive on Wednesday, I would ask for some advice on some other possible fixes and/or diagnosis methods that I can try, because with my luck, installing a new PSU won’t fix my issue and I’ll be back at square one.
Have you done a CPU stress test yet? Let it sit there at 100% usage, 90c or whatever for a few minutes, see if it reboots. Most of my 'spontaneous reboot' issues in the past have been from CPU overheating/throttling causing a crash.