Please help me with this forum issue

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
My usual browser is Pale Moon. Today on one of my laptops I tried to go to Anandtech Forums and can't using Pale Moon. However, I can using IE, which is what I'm using now.

Using Pale Moon, I get this:

File Not Found (404)

This page no longer exists or has moved to another location.

Your URL may be misspelled, or your link may be incorrect.

Try retyping your URL.

I was asked to make an allowance, and acquiesced but think now I should not have. I think maybe a virus is responsible for this. Any hints appreciated.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
So, later this morning (same day) I am on my other Win7 laptop and try to hit Anandtech Forums, a particular thread in OT:

http://forums.anandtech.com/showthread.php?t=2178406&goto=newpost

I get the same original error I got on the other machine! This message popped up:

- - - -
This Connection is Untrusted

You have asked Pale Moon to connect securely to forums.anandtech.com, but we can't confirm that your connection is secure.

Normally, when you try to connect securely, sites will present trusted identification to prove that you are going to the right place. However, this site's identity can't be verified.
What Should I Do?

If you usually connect to this site without problems, this error could mean that someone is trying to impersonate the site, and you shouldn't continue.

[Get me out of here!]

> Technical Details

> I Understand the Risks
- - - -

On the other machine I clicked "I Understand the Risks." Later, I regretted doing that, figured it might open up vulnerabilities. On this machine I didn't click anything, I just went to IE instead of Pale Moon. What's happening here????

ViRGE

Elite Member, Moderator Emeritus
Oct 9, 1999
Something is very weird. The AT Forums don't offer SSL, so you shouldn't be making a "trusted" connection. That you are indicates to me that it's either your ISP up to something, or a problem on your local machine.

Muse

Lifer
Jul 11, 2001
Something is very weird. The AT Forums don't offer SSL, so you shouldn't be making a "trusted" connection. That you are indicates to me that it's either your ISP up to something, or a problem on your local machine.
It's happening with two of my machines, so it doesn't appear to be machine-specific.

My ISP has its rules and it is quite possible IMO that suddenly there's something about Anandtech's feed that doesn't digest with them. My ISP is Sonic.net. This sort of thing has happened a couple of times in the past. If it continues I can call my ISP (their tech support is pretty good and accessible) and try and suss out what's at play in the coming week. I'll post back here if I find out anything.

It's just happening with my Win7 machines, I was able to connect with this one, which is running XP.

Last edited:

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
What happens with Firefox (32-bit, and 64-bit)? Do you have "HTTPS Everywhere" installed? Do you know if Pale Moon implements that functionality internally?

It sure seems suspicious.

balloonshark

Diamond Member
Jun 5, 2008
I'm using Pale Moon 25.8.1 (x86) and haven't seen anything unusual. Then again I'm using noscript, adblock latitude, Ghostery and opendns.