Question Please help me set up my home network. I am currently on isolation cause of the covid19.

fserdenia

May 19, 2020
Hi,
I have a 3 weeks old RT-AC88U
I have it on router mode and connected to a Zyxel C3000Z modem.
The Zyxel can be used as a router too but it's not that powerful. The AC88U is being used in "router mode".

Should I use AP mode or Bridge mode on the AC88U?
I am seeing slowness in wifi connection on my devices on my second floor. The AC88U is located on the first floor. If so, how do I get better connections?

I also saw that there is a lot of 3rd party firmware. Would my router benefit from them?

Please advise me . This is getting me nuts. I am kinda new to networking. Use the wifi mainly for gaming and streaming.

fserdenia

May 19, 2020
Put your zyxel in bridge mode and then your ac88u will be the router. Depending on where you locate it, the signal upstairs will vary. Wired connections are always best.

Should I put the acu88 in AP mode or Default Router mode? Just trying to find the best way to get my connection on the house.
Is AP better than router? Or router better?

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
Is AP better than router? Or router better?
As far as wireless signal strength goes, and therefore, wifi performance, it really shouldn't matter. It could matter for wired routed performance, depending on what CPU and hardware offload that your Zyxel has compared to the Asus. What type and speed connection do you have?

Reactions: SamirD