Please help me out, new build, major problems - Abit AN8-SLI

Oct 20, 2005
Please help me out, new build, major problems - Abit AN8-SLI

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Ok. I am to the max of my frustrations. I switched to this motherboard because I had a crap for one before, that gave me nothing but problems. The DFI NF4 UT SLI-DR, the worst board ever made. So I bought this Abit board 3 days ago, and ever since then, I am having the weirdest problems. I installed everything, everything works, its practically brand new. So here is my problem.

When I boot up, it does boot up. The past few days, it would post and go through the detecting process, which to me, took longer than it should. Once it got through with that, it would give me this message at the bottom:
Warning! Now system is in Safe mode. Please re-setting CPU frequency in the CMOS setup System is running in fail-safe state. Please recheck - BIOS CMOS setup

then says F1 to continue, DEL to enter setup

I would hit F1, and it would boot up, sometimes. Sometimes when it got to where it would load Winxp pro, it would restart. Sometimes it would just be a blank screen, then I would have to manually restart.

So, today, I booted it up. Somewhat same thing, but now a few different things. When it gets through detecting the drives, memory, CPU, and stuff, it would sometimes freeze from there. It DID NOT GIVE me the message:
Warning! Now system is in Safe mode. Please re-setting CPU frequency in the CMOS setup System is running in fail-safe state. Please recheck - BIOS CMOS setup

then says F1 to continue, DEL to enter setup
I would have to restart manually and boot it back up. Sometimes it would get past that, do the boot from cd rom - which is what I have as first boot, get through that, and freeze, restart, and sometimes gave me a BUNCH OF GIBERISH something along the lines of
Trap 0000000000006 ==================Exception==================
and then lines of random characters. If need be I will right it down and put it in here.

I am wondering if my raptor HD is bad, and is causing all these problems. Please help me figure out whats going on. I did the newest BIOS update. Did all I can possibly thing of. Thanks to all in advance.

bjlowe66

Jan 27, 2005
i would unplug it pussh the power button and pull the battery out wait 5 min more is bettery then put the battery back in and try and boot again. and i would say the dfi is a much better board all around

grooge

Dec 23, 2004
The fact that you had problem with both board means that there is something wrong with your other peripherical, which might be either an insuficient PSU, floppy drive plugged backward or cable bad or the optical devices that has bad cable(plugging and unplugging is killing those flat ribbons) or something is grounding the board to the case. I would take the board out of the case, install CPU,RAM and video card and have it to post. Sure enough, you'll have cleared the BIOS before the first post attempt. I would give a little more voltage to RAM stick, something like 2.7v. Let it post until it as for a system disk., then retry a couple of time. Then add the HDD only then try to boot. Add one component at the time. So you may be able to rule out if there is a component that is causing trouble or the PSU that fail to deliver when load start to appears.

But saying that one board is a POS because you cannot have it working would not rule out user errors... I've build lot of computer(20+) and I still ahve to get a defective board ..maybe I'm just lucky. But I did many innatention mistake that kills component, especially when building one late in the night...

So before blaming motherboard, ruleout insufficient PSU, connections, grounding, bad IDE cable, bad floppy cable or inverted(led wil always be on on the floppy), PCI card conflict, incorrectly mounted HSF, BIOS jumper at the right position (some board, like ECS one, ship with BIOS jumper set to clear when shipped to save battery), ...