*please* help me find this

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
I've seen it ONCE before, and can't seem to be able to track this down.

The model i saw was a Sony, but it doesn't really matter as long as it works. It's a 12volt (for automotive purposes) video recorder box. You hook up an RCA video source and it records it onto this box. Not really sure how it works...could be hard drive operated, not really sure. BUT...the catch is that it has to be SMALL..like the size of an alarm clock (no bigger than ~7 inches long, ~4 wide, and ~4 deep).

Thanks for your help :)

-=bmacd=-

Azoth

Jun 7, 2001
Something like this? or this?

I believe the above items are similar to what you are describing...

What purpose do you have in mind for this? Might be a cheaper way to do it...

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
looking to record video from my bike. I have an analog source (video camera) that needs to plug into the box.

-=bmacd=-

Azoth

Jun 7, 2001
Sony and Sharp did make a pocket vcr back in the days, mostly used by law enforcement...

Wasn't actually pocket, more of hip-pack sized, think it took 8mm tapes... They are out of production now, as they use wireless transcievers for the work now. Besides, hip packs went out of style...

About the only place I would think you could locate one would be state auctions, especially state police auctions or eBay/Yahoo/etc...

The model most commonly used in body worn surveillance was the
Sharp VCR-1

You may want to check around, because those suckers are still very expensive, and P.I.s snap them up quick as possible when they find them.

I am unsure of the Sony model number, but will check into it and post it if I can find any info...

guyver01

Lifer
Sep 25, 2000
Try this:

XCam2 Camera System

The XCam2 is a tiny, yet powerful wireless video camera that you can put anywhere and transmit live COLOR video to any TV, VCR or PC* in your home!

Azoth

Jun 7, 2001
Have you thought of manpacking a standard 12v VCR (chopped down models like in conversion vans)?

Throw it on a frame from a LBE rucksack and use it that way if it is for more temporary use?

It would cut costs to about $50 +/- for a 12v VCR; $15 for a used LBE frame then just wear it like a backpack and wire it up to a quick-connect for power?

$65.00 or so versus $400 - $800 is a big jump.

If it is for a more permanent situtation it is worth the bigger bucks, but if you are just going to play around it's better to go low end...

Just my 2 cents...

bmacd

Lifer
Jan 15, 2001
i was trying to avoid using VHS. I'd prefer Hi-8/8mm if i could, optimally hard drive recorded. Wireless isn't an option as i'll be several miles away from my home.

Thanks for your efforts so far :)

-=bmacd=-