Please help, GT280 display error

shamus8888

May 7, 2008
I hope that someone can offer some help here as I am truly running out of ideas.

This is what happened. I was installing Race Driver Grid and also the latest NVidia Driver 177.41. The installation of the driver hanged midway (my fault I guess for running the Race Driver:GRID installation at the same time) so I just rebooted the machine manually. After reboot everything was normal and I could boot into Windows fine.

I then fired up GRID and it loaded fine although I noticed some horizontal distortion during the intro screen. I was in the video options menu tweaking stuff and then suddenly my screen blacked out. So I rebooted the machine again (hard reboot). I noticed horizontal dotted lines during the black "Loading Windows" screen which looks like this:

http://img509.imageshack.us/img509/4769/1000663ql5.jpg

And after that it won't even boot into the User logon screen, it looked like this when it went into that screen :

http://img381.imageshack.us/img381/6800/1000665mt3.jpg

I tried uninstalling the drivers and it booted into Windows fine, although I noticed the horizontal dots in the BIOS screen and also in the loading Windows screen.

I did a quick format and reinstall Windows but still getting the same error. I am now trying to do a full format. This is how is looks just after installing the drivers again :

http://img79.imageshack.us/img79/4568/1000660lj3.jpg

I really hope its not a hardware issue as I just got this card recently :(

Thanks for any help that you can offer.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Looks like a bad card, usually if you get horizontal or vertical lines like that, its a RAM problem. Since you're within 30 days, I would contact your place of purchase for return rather than trying an RMA through whatever manufacturer. If you're willing to charge an additional $650 or so they will usually allow you to "cross-ship" to minimize down-time.

shamus8888

May 7, 2008
Originally posted by: chizow
Looks like a bad card, usually if you get horizontal or vertical lines like that, its a RAM problem. Since you're within 30 days, I would contact your place of purchase for return rather than trying an RMA through whatever manufacturer. If you're willing to charge an additional $650 or so they will usually allow you to "cross-ship" to minimize down-time.

Meh, was hoping it was software :( But why so sudden? Maybe the suspicious 100% fan speed during games was a sign?

I am a total noob at returning things. I have completely disposed of the packaging and the manuals etc.. :< All I have now is the video card ( I could find the cables that came with it I think ).

I have ordered from overclockers.co.uk and this is my model:
https://www.overclockers.co.uk...t.php?prodid=GX-073-BG

I am now enquiring through their online webform. Hopefully I will get something positive :<
Can anyone in the know advice me further ? Really gutted now...

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Originally posted by: shamus8888

Meh, was hoping it was software :( But why so sudden? Maybe the suspicious 100% fan speed during games was a sign?

I am a total noob at returning things. I have completely disposed of the packaging and the manuals etc.. :< All I have now is the video card ( I could find the cables that came with it I think ).

I have ordered from overclockers.co.uk and this is my model:
<a target=_blank class=ftalternatingbarlinklarge href="https://www.overclockers.co.uk/showproduct.php?prodid=GX-073-BG">https://www.overclockers.co......p?prodid=GX-073-BG</a>

I am now enquiring through their online webform. Hopefully I will get something positive :<
Can anyone in the know advice me further ? Really gutted now...

There were a few links in the GT200 thread about the fan spinning up to 100% on some cards prior to them dying. I believe the problem was there wasn't proper contact with the GPU/RAM and the cards ultimately cooked. I'd say this definitely confirms your card is damaged and needs RMA. My card has never spun up past 60% or gone above 80C but its very well ventilated in my Antec 900 with a Spot Fan on the back plate as well.

As for the packaging.....that's unfortunate that you tossed everything; your only recourse may be to go through the manufacturer. I'd still try to go through the vendor, however.

shamus8888

May 7, 2008
Ah, could be that problem then >< But the funny thing is that its fine if I uninstall the driver. I am doing a full format at the moment with WinXP CD and the graphics are fine. (Although the BIOS screen still has those lines).

I guess certain parts were fried then... Just wrote an RMA request explaining everything. This really teaches me a lesson not to toss anything away until I am totally sure there are no problems with the hardware.

I have Antec 900 case as well and it is well ventilated with all fans at high. (it's summer now and I OC my CPU).

So gutted... :(

By the way, could you link the thread concerning this? I can't seem to find it with Search.

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
Ah, could be that problem then >< But the funny thing is that its fine if I uninstall the driver. I am doing a full format at the moment with WinXP CD and the graphics are fine. (Although the BIOS screen still has those lines).

I guess certain parts were fried then... Just wrote an RMA request explaining everything. This really teaches me a lesson not to toss anything away until I am totally sure there are no problems with the hardware.

I have Antec 900 case as well and it is well ventilated with all fans at high. (it's summer now and I OC my CPU).

So gutted... :(

By the way, could you link the thread concerning this? I can't seem to find it with Search.

Ya, BIOS screen corruption is a dead giveaway for RAM problems.

Anyways here's the first post about it in the GT200 thread:
Originally posted by: Akabeth
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but check this thread out. There seems to be a consistent overheating issue with the GTX 280, with some applications/utilities.
Seems to consist of real users

http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=114925

If you go to 6/21/08 in the GT200 thread you can see the rest of the discussion.

But ya for big ticket PC items I tend to hold onto the packaging/documentation for a bit, and for items that I can usually resell, I'll hold onto them even longer, even if I never get around to selling them. Hopefully your retailer can accomodate you though, as mfg RMA can be a total PITA.

shamus8888

May 7, 2008
Yeah, this is a very BIG lesson learnt :p I don't usually sell my parts (I like to have lotsa spare parts) and I never really had something major break down on me (lucky I guess).
Will always keep packaging and receipt next time.

Thanks for the advice, help and links. I just sent a webform RMA request to the vendor. Hopefully I get good news :<

The card is really amazing though for the time I had it working. Too bad about the heat issues :(

edit: What a coincidence :0 there is a guy on the nvnews forum that has the same card and ordered the from the same vendor. His card died overheated as well. A bad batch maybe? :S

Time for ATI? :p

p/s: If I am lucky enough to get a RMA, should I go for an aftermarket air cooler? Anyone know of such on the market?

chizow

Diamond Member
Jun 26, 2001
edit: What a coincidence :0 there is a guy on the nvnews forum that has the same card and ordered the from the same vendor. His card died overheated as well. A bad batch maybe? :S

Time for ATI? :p

p/s: If I am lucky enough to get a RMA, should I go for an aftermarket air cooler? Anyone know of such on the market?

As long as BFG explicitly states they warranty in the EU, there shouldn't be any luck involved with RMA. I would press for sure until you got working product, there's no reason to eat the price of that card for a mfg defect. If anything you're lucky it was an NV card from one of the better partners. One of the major knocks on ATI cards are the poor service from their AIB partners.

I wouldn't worry about an aftermarket cooler, the stock one is great when it works properly, just be sure to monitor your temps when you get your new card. Rivatuner or HWmonitor are both good for monitoring temps, although EVGA Precision is my favorite now since it does all the vital monitoring and overclocking in a simple package.

Keysplayr

Elite Member
Jan 16, 2003
Try reseating your GTX280. Make sure your power connections are good. (What PSU are you running btw?)

If you still get those lines in the BIOS, definitely an RMA situation.