Question Please Help! Can't get a stable wired connection.

Bassiit

Jul 13, 2019
Hi, first of all I apologise if I am posting this in the wrong section.

But I am completely fed up and just tired.

I have had this problem for 2 years now. I have a BBox v3+ modem on the first floor of my house which is connected via dsl.

From there I have a Nighthawk R7000 router on the third floor, which is connected to the modem via ethernet cable.

The Wi-Fi signal in my house is perfect, hardly have problems with it.

However, I used to play a lot of PS4 and I had to stay connected over Wi-Fi because the connection over cable was terrible, sometimes I could play an entire day without any issue. Other times I would get disconnected 20 times in 5 minutes.

At that time it wasn't a big deal because I could just switch over to Wi-Fi.

However, I recently bought a new PC but it's driving me completely crazy because I can't play ANY games without getting kicked every 15-30 seconds. I swapped out everything you could imagine; modem, router, ALL cables. No luck.

I also fooled around in the PC, Router, Modem settings, nothing.

Tried connecting everything over PPPOE, assigning static IP's, absolutely no luck.

I know it's a book I'm writing, but I'm just hoping someone can help me out since my own ISP can't even help me. It's been months now and I'm really exhausted.

Thanks in advance!

SamirD

Golden Member
Jun 12, 2019
www.huntsvillecarscene.com
Oh my! Even when connecting over pppoe?!? That's a super strange one.

So let's work on this scenario first since it cuts out all the routers and other stuff. If I'm guessing correctly, you used the computer or modem to directly pppoe in and get an IP address and still got dropped once you started playing?

mxnerd

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2007
1. Update router's firmware.
2. You shouldn't have multiple devices doing PPPoE login at the same time, IIRC it will disconnect existing connection.
3. call your ISP to diagnose DSL signal & connection.

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
First, your modem appears to be a "gateway", aka both a modem and a router. How do you have the R7000 configured? You should have it setup as a WAP (which still allows for the switch ports to be used). You don't want the r7000 working as a router, as multiple SOHO routers in the same network can cause problems

Search for "router as WAP" to see tutorials

Second, when you are having problems, are you directly connected to the bbox or the r7000?

Third, the bbox apparently will do wifi also, which WiFi network are you connected to that is working ok?

I would take the r7000 out of the mix (unplug it) and start doing problem determination at the bbox. Grab an Ethernet and connect to one of the yellow ports, collect information like LAN IP, can you ping gateway, can you ping and traceroute websites, etc...

Last edited:

Bassiit

Jul 13, 2019
Oh my! Even when connecting over pppoe?!? That's a super strange one.

So let's work on this scenario first since it cuts out all the routers and other stuff. If I'm guessing correctly, you used the computer or modem to directly pppoe in and get an IP address and still got dropped once you started playing?
No not directly from the modem. From the router on the third floor since I have my pc set up there.

Thanks for the reply.

Bassiit

Jul 13, 2019
Somehow, I think ARP or Proxy-ARP is a suspect in all of this. Just my gut feeling.

Have you tried disabling IPv6 on that PC?
I haven't yet, but are you sure it has something to do with ipv6? Because it also cuts out when connected to my ps4.
And I don't think ps4 uses ipv6.

Thanks for the reply.

Bassiit

Jul 13, 2019
First, your modem appears to be a "gateway", aka both a modem and a router. How do you have the R7000 configured? You should have it setup as a WAP (which still allows for the switch ports to be used). You don't want the r7000 working as a router, as multiple SOHO routers in the same network can cause problems

Search for "router as WAP" to see tutorials

Second, when you are having problems, are you directly connected to the bbox or the r7000?

Third, the bbox apparently will do wifi also, which WiFi network are you connected to that is working ok?

I would take the r7000 out of the mix (unplug it) and start doing problem determination at the bbox. Grab an Ethernet and connect to one of the yellow ports, collect information like LAN IP, can you ping gateway, can you ping and traceroute websites, etc...
First of all, thanks for the quick reply.
I have the R7000 configured as a router at the moment, so I'm gonna try to switch it to WAP and see if it helps.

To answer the rest of your questions, I haven't tried connecting it to the modem directly so I'm gonna give that a try and see if I can maintain a stable connection.

I'll keep you updated ;)

ch33zw1z

Lifer
Nov 4, 2004
First of all, thanks for the quick reply.
I have the R7000 configured as a router at the moment, so I'm gonna try to switch it to WAP and see if it helps.

To answer the rest of your questions, I haven't tried connecting it to the modem directly so I'm gonna give that a try and see if I can maintain a stable connection.

I'll keep you updated ;)

So technically, both the bbox and the r7000 default to same 192.168.1.x / 24 IP range, which can definitely cause problems if the nighthawk is configs as a router. While you're doing problem determination, grab a notepad and start writing stuff down for reference and so you can post the configs here.

https://www.google.com/search?q=nig...nt=ms-unknown&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

https://www.google.com/search?q=bbox+v3+&oq=bbox&aqs=chrome.0.69i59l2j69i57j69i60l2j0.2177j0j7&client=ms-unknown&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8#sbfbu=1&pi=bbox v3+