Please help a monitor noob

Izzo

May 30, 2003
I've narrowed it down to two options, the HP w19b or the HP vs19e. So far, I'm leaning toward the HP w19b.

The key specs are:

HP w19b
- 19" Widescreen
- 1440 x 900 native resolution
- 5 ms response time
- 700:1 contrast
- VGA and DVI-D video inputs
- 0.285 pixel pitch
- $250

HP vs19e
- 19"
- 1280 x 1024
- 8 ms response time
- 700:1 contrast
- VGA only
- 0.294 pixel pitch
- $250 after $50 dollar rebate

Please vote above. Bonus points for explaining why you chose that option (remember, there are only a couple weeks left to accumulate good deeds in exchange for awesome presents on Christmas. Here's your chance at an easy good deed for the day). The monitor will be used for general use (videos, internet, some programming, various other apps, BUT NO VIDEO GAMES). I think anything bigger than a 19" monitor would be overkill for what it will be used for.

Also, why is the vs19e more expensive before rebate? What is the difference maker? Unless I am totally clueless (which is likely) it would seem like the w19b would be more expensive because of the faster response time and additional video input (with everything else being pretty much equal).

Lastly, I'm not too worried about how good or bad of a deal I'm getting on these monitors. I'm just looking for confimation that one of these monitors is a decent choice and that there is not a glaring error or problem with the monitors I'm choosing between.

edmicman

Golden Member
May 30, 2001
I don't see a real reason why the 2nd is pricier than the first after rebates, other than maybe the vertical resolution is different (1024 vs 900). As far as which one to get.....here's some thoughts...

Do you know if your Dad's PC has a DVI connector? It's a different kind of video connector than the standard VGA - most newer video cards have one, but I'm not sure if most prebuilt PCs have them or not. If he does, I'd definitely go with that, as a DVI connection looks noticeably better than the regular VGA, at least in my experience. The widescreen also has better response time, too.

The only other point I can see is the difference in resolutions. I use 1280x1024 at work, and on my desktop at home, so I know how that looks. I'd like a widescreen, but I can't say I've seen one firsthand to know what it's like to work with. If they're the same size, then the widescreen with 900px tall is probably going to have things looking a little bigger than it's counterpart that is 1024px tall. But I'd think you'd make up for it with the greater left to right screen real estate.

I guess I'd probably lean towards the widescreen model because of the lack of having to deal with rebates, the DVI connector (if you can't use it now, then maybe later), and the better response time.

Hope this helps and good luck!

Peter

Elite Member
Oct 15, 1999
19" 5:4 actually is quite a bit bigger in total surface than 16:10.

Whether to choose wide or tall screen? That's a question of application. My application environments are full of sidebars and toolboxes, so I'd prefer wide even if I weren't watching the occasional DVD or TV movie. Other apps and even games might place tools and bars horizontally, eating away from useable height - making you want the 5:4 for those.

TheRyuu

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2005
If you want to get a wide screen monitor, get a 20.1in or higher.
I just don't think a 19in WS is that good. Plus the dot pitch will be smaller as well.

Check this out:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.asp?Item=N82E16824112006

$209 after MIR. Now the monitor isn't top of the line. It's your standard 6-bit TN panel.
(theres also another, for $269, I don't know what the difference is, but one had 16.2 colors, and the other 16.7. But both are probably TN panels, so what the hell is the difference?)
And AFAIK, your two options are also 6-bit TN panels.
TN panels are fast, but often don't have the best quality. But it should suit your needs just fine.

And the next step up is probably the Dell 2007wfp (not the one in the link above, thats different). That would have either a S-IPS (very good) or a M-PVA (good, better then TN). With those it's a toss up so cross your fingers if you get it that you get a S-IPS. But your price range seems like it's ~$250, so the Dell might be out of it.

trOver

Golden Member
Aug 18, 2006
yah relaly 250 for a crappy hp 19" is bull. there are lots of 20.1" normal and widescreen for around 220 at the egg