Please Help a feeble memory remember best way to do a Win 10/7 Dual Boot

Caveman

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 1999
I've done this before, but it's been a while...

What's the best sequence for dual boot install?

Current drive uses Win 7. I'm installing a new SSD dedicated to Win 10. I want 10 to be the primary boot now...

IIR, the least trouble-free way is to install the new Win 10 drive and disconnect the Win 7 drive so the MoBo just sees the new Win 10 drive, then install the new OS (Win 10) on that drive. Then... Boot into the Win 10 drive and install Easy BCD there to point to the Win 7 drive. Does this sound right?

crashtech

Lifer
Jan 4, 2013
Dual boot systems have been so problematic to me in the past that I simply install each OS one at a time on separate drives, then use the PC's built in boot selection menu (usually invoked by f11 or f12) to select the desired system.

I know this isn't really an answer to your question, so I hope you don't mind my throwing it out there for consideration.

Mantrid-Drone

Mar 15, 2014
That is the best way IMHO too - basically just isolate each OS to a separate drive when you install them. Physically disconnecting the other when doing so is recommended or it was for me when I asked about dual booting XP and Win 7 years ago somewhere else.

Some serious problems can occur when dual booting - for instance the MB must have drivers available which support both systems. Check that because it is a big problem I ran into with XP - my MB was sold as supporting XP but whilst the manual suggested it had done at one time the version I'd bought I eventually realised did not. By then it was too late and I couldn't have afforded a replacement anyway.

There were other issues with that combo too that simply could not be resolved despite some good advice from web sites and forums like this.

There are less likely to be problems with Win10 and Win7 but you should research those driver matters first and get specific advice from the MB manufacturers about any problems in that respect and dual booting in general however you end up doing the dual boot.

Caveman

Platinum Member
Nov 18, 1999
Crashtec, Thanks. I had not explored that simple angle and appreciate the simplicity of doing it this way which I'll keep in mind for the future.

Antrid-Drone, Thanks for the warning. Point well taken... I did not have any issues with Win10 and Win7 dual boot. Seems to work fine with EasyBCD configuration.

Reactions: crashtech