Please give me speaker recommendations and debunk speaker myths

Kilgore23

Jun 26, 2014
I have some really poor quality 5.1 speakers from logitech, the sub is really small and would like to upgrade my speakers.

Is it better to go with a 2.1 setup or can 5.1 surround sound really make a difference?

This is the sound card I have that I would like to pair with a new set of speakers:

http://www.asus.com/Sound_Cards_and_DigitaltoAnalog_Converters/Xonar_Xense/

I pretty much don't know anything about speakers so any advice would really help

bononos

Diamond Member
Aug 21, 2011
2.1 is better if you're not spending alot of money and/or want good sounds for semi-serious listening. You generally want to spend alot more money on the speakers instead of the sound card because its the speakers which are going to be make more of a difference relatively speaking since even integrated realtek is quite good already.

So for something like the Xense, something like the m-audio bookshelves recommended in the another thread would be reasonable.

crashtestdummy

Platinum Member
Feb 18, 2010
For 5.1 vs. 2.1, the critical factors are whether you use the speakers for movies and games or for music, and whether you have a room where you can really place the speakers around you. Stacking up 6 speakers in front of you won't get you anything special.

Honestly, I'd recommend going with a T-Amp with bookshelves to start, then upgrading components as you go.