Please give me a great RPG to play on PC

jediphx

Platinum Member
Oct 4, 2000
I already have played the Fallouts, Baldurs Gates, NWN's, Oblivion, Mass Effect, Gothic's, Icewind dale, Planescape Torment, The divinitys, The entire Ultima series (my favorite), KOTOR, Morrowind , The Witcher Enhanced Edition, Arx Fatalis etc.

Any suggestions? Prefer something recent at least with some nice graphics but an actual good storyline to boot. I know thats asking a lot nowadays

Im currently playing Drakensang

IEC

Elite Member
Super Moderator
Jun 10, 2004
Icewind Dales
Planescape: Torment
?

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
My recommendations would be: Knights of the Old Republic, Morrowind, Divine Divinity, Planescape: Torment, Heretic Kingdoms, Two Worlds. In no particular order.

I'll probably get some shit for suggesting Two Worlds, but IMO it was a better game than Oblivion due solely to the "unbroken" leveling system.

If you're a Gothic fan definitely check out Risen, which is still in development but is from the same developers. http://forums.anandtech.com/me...t_key=y&keyword1=risen

9mak9

Dec 3, 2007
Planescape is one of the best games ever...Knights of the Old Republics, Icewind Dales, Witcher, Diablos, Fable, Dungeon Sieges, Spellforces, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Temple of Elemental Evil, Divine Divinitys and Sacreds are the ones I have played besides your list.

I want to try Kings Bounty and Drakensang which I have heard good things about...and then Dragon Age when that is released.

Chriscross3234

Jun 4, 2006
The Witcher is the only one I haven't seen mentioned here yet. I definitely recommend playing Planescape Torment, it's one of the best RPGs IMO, especially if you enjoyed Baldur's Gate Series.

shortylickens

No Lifer
Jul 15, 2003
KOTOR 1 and 2 are suspiciously absent from the OP's list.

Also, I liked Elder Scrolls 3 gameplay better than 4, but a lot of folks who played Oblivion first cant stomach the graphics in Morrowind.

Ultralight

Jul 11, 2004
If you are going to play Morrowind do yourself a favor and install some of the excellent community mods.

Divine Divinity is a fun lgame and it provides a great many hours of game play. The graphics are okay, but the game story is very good. There is tons to do and once you transverse the first dungeon the game really opens up.

NOX by Westwood Studios. Old, but if you can find it get the patch.

mmntech

Lifer
Sep 20, 2007
I'm not an RPG guy but I'm going to have to fourth KotOR 1 & 2. The second one was always my fave since it really is a thinking man's Star Wars.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: 9mak9
Planescape is one of the best games ever...Knights of the Old Republics, Icewind Dales, Witcher, Diablos, Fable, Dungeon Sieges, Spellforces, Marvel Ultimate Alliance, Temple of Elemental Evil, Divine Divinitys and Sacreds are the ones I have played besides your list.

I want to try Kings Bounty and Drakensang which I have heard good things about...and then Dragon Age when that is released.

I just recently finished those two and enjoyed them both ,they were worth the money IMHO.

mindcycle

Golden Member
Jan 9, 2008
Drakensang is pretty fun. I made it a couple hours in and got bored with it, but i'll probably start playing it again soon.

Dumac

Diamond Member
Dec 31, 2005
Knight of the Old Republic 1&2, Planescape: Torment, Diablo 2, Icewind Dale, The Witcher, Jade Empire, TES III: Morrowind...

I don't think I listed anything not already said D:

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: mindcycle
Drakensang is pretty fun. I made it a couple hours in and got bored with it, but i'll probably start playing it again soon.

It actually gets better if you stick with it,so don't give up .

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
One oldie that nobody meantioned was Arx Fatalis,its was pretty enjoyable back in those days.

uli2000

Golden Member
Jul 28, 2006
I second the KOTOR games. If you like them, give Jade Empire a try. Not really sure how these play on PC though, I played them on Xbox.

Ganeedi

Jul 7, 2008
Witcher (download enhanced edition)
Kings Bounty

otherwise i would play some of the other genre's out there, as there are a great many excellent non-rpg games out there.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Besides the above, Vampire the Masquerade: Bloodlines (Steam has it)

If you like turn-based strategy, Jagged Alliance 2 has some strong RPG elements: stronger than Silent Storm, and better characters than Fallout Tactics. (GoG.com has it)

StinkyPinky

Diamond Member
Jul 6, 2002
Yeah I just finished the new Kings bounty game and really enjoyed it. It's gets better once you spend some time on it.

Have you tried Titan Quest if you like hack and slash games. Or Deus Ex if you can handle late 90's graphics.

Otherwise it seems you've pretty much played all the classic games worth playing.

Jumpem

Lifer
Sep 21, 2000
What would you guys recommend for a hack n slash like dungeon Siege? Something with good graphics though.

Mem

Lifer
Apr 23, 2000
Originally posted by: Jumpem
What would you guys recommend for a hack n slash like dungeon Siege? Something with good graphics though.

Titan Quest,Sacred/Sacred 2 or oldies like Divine Divinity,Beyond Divinity.

styrafoam

Platinum Member
Jun 18, 2002
Fable & Bioshock are relatively recent. If you dont mind older or have a soft spot for the baldurs gate type of games you could pick up arcanum. Sort of buggy and unbalanced, but a past favorite among RPGs. Temple of elemental evil can be had for $10 in the cheapies rack at most stores, an ok time killer if you like the D&D setting.

s44

Diamond Member
Oct 13, 2006
Bioshock isn't a RPG, it's the most overhyped railshooter of all time.

OP: how many NWN mods have you played?

Oct 30, 2004
What about the original Neverwinter Nights for online multiplayer? Some of the popular servers will fill up to 60+ players with people still waiting in the Lobby. I recommend the Amia and Higher Ground Path of Ascension servers.