Question Please Critique my new AMD build (first build since 2012)

dsc106

May 31, 2012
I am upgrading from a 2012 Sandy Bridge-E 3930k, an EVGA 1080 TI that replaced the original GTX 670, 64gb DDR3 RAM in a Lian Li A71F Case (https://www.newegg.com/p/N82E16811112244) and powered by a Corsair AX850w PSU that still has 2 years left on warranty. (My current system specs are in my sig).

I am thinking to keep my existing case and PSU. I added a Hot Swap drive bay to the Lian Li and love all the internal drive storage and have no qualms with it. I also can't find a nice, windowless, all aluminum case that I think is superior so this seems to be a great case to keep rocking. I was considering a new, fresh Corsair AX1000 PSU but am thinking that I can continue to run this PSU for a few years without issue and without risk of a failure doing any damage, right?

Moving on, here is the build I am considering. I would love feedback on my component selection, as well as any other small parts I may be missing (i.e. thermalpaste, etc.). Also, is Newegg still a preferred store to shop from?

Ryzen 5950x (16 core)
No link available
MSI X570 Prestige Creation
CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 Chromax.black
128gb RAM (DDR4 3600; 4x32gb)
eVGA RTX 3080 FTW3
Corsair MP600 2TB M.2 SSD Boot
Misc. Fans, Adapters, Cables, Parts
Right angle adapter for the 24-pin power on the e-ATX MSI board? Thermal paste? New Noctua case fans? Anything I might be missing to make this smooth?
* Using my existing Lian Li A71F case & 2012 Corsair AX850w PSU

Some questions I've been contemplating are the MSI X570 Prestige Creation vs ASUS ROG X570 Crosshair VIII Hero, or another motherboard altogether. I like how the ASUS has more USB 3.2 Gen 2 and more SATA ports. However, I like how the MSI has more PCI-E Slots and built-in 10gb LAN. I've also been wondering about using 32gb RAM modules to achieve 128gb with only 4 DIMM slots in dual channel, and if the 18-22-22-42 CAS 18 timings are problematic or not. I'm wondering if I chose the best cooler in the Noctua (vs bequiet dark pro or an AIO), and if I will have any issues needing to remove the thermal shielding on the Corsair MP600 to install into my motherboard m.2 slot.

My use cases are split 50/50 between video editing in Adobe Premiere Pro 2020 (this is my profession), and personal use gaming & simming (including VR) in apps such as Project Cars 2 VR, DCS World VR, Flight Sim 2020, CyberPunk 2077, Control, Doom Eternal, etc. etc. I do plan to attach a 10gb QNAP RAID 6 server next year for my video production work. In my current case I am running 7 internal HDDs (4 in a HS bay that I install in the existing Lian Li case), 2 optical drives (which have been dormant for a while now and I may eventually remove), and another existing m.2 NVME drive (1tb samsung 970) that I am currently using as my media cache/scratch drive for Adobe.

Thank you for the help and advice! I had another post recently in which I had contemplated Threadripper, but I am leaning Ryzen 5950x for various reasons (Cost, TDP, unutilized cores, unlikely need for more intensive PCI-E I/O or quad channel). I am most concerned with in-timeline editing performance rather than final output rendering speed. If you would like to feedback my platform decision in that regards, there exists my thread for that here: https://forums.anandtech.com/thread...r-video-editing-gaming.2585987/#post-40312981

Thank you!

Shmee

Memory & Storage, Graphics Cards Mod Elite Member
Super Moderator
Sep 13, 2008
Looks like a solid build list for the most part, the motherboard looks nice fore sure. I would change 2 things though. First, since the CPU is not yet available anyway, I would wait until the new Phison E18 based NVMe drives are out, instead of the Corsair MP600. That, or if you need one right away of what is available, the Sabrent Rocket 4 drives are 20% off on newegg with promo code.

As for the GPU, the 3080s are going to be hard to find, and I hear that the EVGA ones have cheaper capacitors used, at least they did in launch cards. Asus seems to be brand to get for 3080 for using lots of the good capacitors. Of course this is all depending on if you can actually find an Asus 3080 available. Finding any 3080 may be a feat in itself.

Alternatively, since you are waiting at least till November 5th for the CPU, if the AMD cards are out then, and look good, you could get one of those.

Here is a short explanation of some of the 3080 cap issues. https://www.techpowerup.com/272591/...ly-connected-to-aib-designed-capacitor-choice

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
Looks like a solid build list for the most part, the motherboard looks nice fore sure. I would change 2 things though. First, since the CPU is not yet available anyway, I would wait until the new Phison E18 based NVMe drives are out, instead of the Corsair MP600. That, or if you need one right away of what is available, the Sabrent Rocket 4 drives are 20% off on newegg with promo code.

As for the GPU, the 3080s are going to be hard to find, and I hear that the EVGA ones have cheaper capacitors used, at least they did in launch cards. Asus seems to be brand to get for 3080 for using lots of the good capacitors. Of course this is all depending on if you can actually find an Asus 3080 available. Finding any 3080 may be a feat in itself.

Alternatively, since you are waiting at least till November 5th for the CPU, if the AMD cards are out then, and look good, you could get one of those.

Here is a short explanation of some of the 3080 cap issues. https://www.techpowerup.com/272591/...ly-connected-to-aib-designed-capacitor-choice

EVGA made the change to their capacitor configuration before being launched to the public. It's also not a question of the cost of capacitor as the ones used on the pre-production modules are more expensive and have characteristics that may be more desirable. DeBaur has shown that replacing the capacitors yields marginal overclocking improvements at the raged edge which is already 300-400mhz over the rated boost clocks. Gamers Nexus was able to achieve the highest OC on a 3080 FTW with the pre-production layout over something like the Asus TUF which used 100% ceramic caps. The biggest issue that most are facing are the power limits of the card. If overclocking is the #1 priority of the purchase, either look for something that allows a higher power limit or flash the card with a new vbios.

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001