Playstation Classic on sale for $19 (hackable for 7,500 games)

Kaido

Elite Member & Kitchen Overlord
Feb 14, 2004
On sale at Best Buy: (online or in person)

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-playstation-classic-console/6301601.p?skuId=6301601

It's a cheapo little SoC, but it has a cool case & some pretty legit PS1 controllers. At $50 for everything you need (console + USB stick + splitter cable), it's a bit of a better deal than a Pi - plus the controllers work OOTB, so you don't have to do the funky programming bit like you do with a Pi.

There's a software mod out that lets you load retro games on it. Apparently you can also load other PS1 games on it, although I haven't gotten that far yet. Someone has a video of the modded interface out, it's pretty straightforward:

Reactions: snoopy7548

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Digital Foundry's review of the Playstation Classic made it look pretty terrible at any price, with terrible frame pacing on their emulation. It's not just the use of PAL games either, the system just can't hang even on NTSC games. I would have bought one at full price if the emulation was at all decent but with how lousy the emulation looks I wouldn't take one if they were in the parking lot handing them out free at Best Buy.

VirtualLarry

No Lifer
Aug 25, 2001
I didn't see this thread first, but I just ordered one. I guess I'll find out how bad SPFIIT is on it.

snoopy7548

Diamond Member
Jan 1, 2005
Nice. I had no intention of buying this but for $20 why not. The hardware, from what I've read, is more powerful than what's in the NES/SNES Classics, and since it's hackable you can load a proper emulator and play all of the pre-loaded games with full performance.

EDIT: This is also $20 at Target.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Nice. I had no intention of buying this but for $20 why not. The hardware, from what I've read, is more powerful than what's in the NES/SNES Classics, and since it's hackable you can load a proper emulator and play all of the pre-loaded games with full performance.

EDIT: This is also $20 at Target.

Do you have a source showing you can install an emulator that performs better? And if so, which emulator gives full speed on these games? I probably would go buy one today if I found out I could run PS1 games full speed without the horrific microstutter the PS1 Classic has out the box.