Discussion Playstation 5 Games stream, casing revealed

FaaR

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2007
Edit: Thankyou!
MOTHERRRRRR.... why did this thread show up here? I was in the console forum!
(Or so I thought! Ackkkk. Mods: please move? I'm senile! :D)

Quite a few games shown in the "live stream" (which was obviously all pre-taped hehe.)

Not all familiar stuff either - quite a few games seem to be fully original works. I don't know console games anymore, so I can't really judge how exciting sequels in existing franchises might be for someone who played the previous installment (ugh. I'm just too old!), but it's interesting and encouraging to see that new ideas still aren't seen as too dangerous to pursue these days, despite rising development costs and stuff like that.

Some of the games seemed to have really amazing graphics (a bit hard to tell how good exactly because the bitrate of the youtube video was friggin' awful on my end at least), other games were clearly lacking in graphics fidelity, animation or both. Bethsoft's Tokyo Ghost title or whatever it was called looked pretty amateurish in both aspects for example while the new Horizon title just killed it graphics-wise (as you would expect.)

And this is just first-gen PS5 graphics... Like Killzone Shadow Fall on PS4 when it launched. Zoweee you can imagine what things will look like in 3-4 years! :)

Pretty much loved the new console design, by the way, especially the Digital Edition, which looks elegant and classy as all hell. Very organic and bold, with some clear callbacks in the design to PS2 and PS3. Pretty much as soon as they showed off the controller I understood the main console would be sheets of black and white plastic, but this was way better looking (to me) than I ever dared hope for. Just wish the disc slot wasn't so darn big and disruptive. If only they'd given it nicely rounded edges, like the Wii's disc slot had. Now I'll have to get the Digital edition because my OCD can't get over that garish detail, and I'll never be able to watch my Blu-Ray discs in peace and quiet anymore (noisy slim edition PS3... Ugh!) :)

Will be interesting to learn more about the haptic features of the new PS5 pad. I hope they've done away with the old rumbler motors completely, finally. Simple spinning offset weights are so 1990s!

Last edited:

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
And this is just first-gen PS5 graphics... Like Killzone Shadow Fall on PS4 when it launched. Zoweee you can imagine what things will look like in 3-4 years! :)

All the impressive stuff they showed like Horizon, Demon's Souls, and Ratchet & Clank isn't first gen PS5 graphics. Those games are all almost certainly coming out 2022 or later since no date was given. So if you want to know how games will look in 3-4 years, look at those trailers for games coming out in 3-4 years and then imagine the graphics cut down some from that like they are for every other game that has ever come out. Gotta say I was disappointed to see yet another dismal launch lineup, but that's the norm for non Nintendo console launches. But I really thought Demon's Souls might be a launch title since we have heard about Bluepoint remastering it for years now.

Zenoth

Diamond Member
Jan 29, 2005
I prefer the symmetry that the Digital Edition offers, especially when viewed from the front. They went for 'style' this time.

Not sure if it can lay horizontally (I've seen one picture of it set up horizontally, but it was just the regular version, not the Digital Edition), but to me this design is 100% absolutely made with standing vertically in mind. I've said this on another forum but this design reminds me a lot of the XBOX 360, especially the Digital Edition indeed (not so much when seen from the side, but absolutely when seen from the front). It looks too... I don't know how to put it, but I'd use the term 'unintentional' when laying horizontally. Like I would expect the engineer or art team that designed the PS5 to tell you "Oh, you... you just put it horizontally..." and you'd reply "Yeah, so?", and they'd look at each others before commenting "B- but... I mean we... sort of designed it to stand vertically". I mean just look at it. It's a "vertical console" from top to bottom.

It's not my favorite console design of all time, but when it comes to PlayStation consoles specifically it's alright. Nothing mind blowing or truly that original, but it's alright.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
The only game on there that would get me to buy a PS5 at launch is Ratchet and Clank. I highly doubt it's going to be a launch title though. But holy shit that game looked incredible.

The console itself is ugly as all hell holy shit. Should have known it would be disgusting because of the controller design. But that doesn't matter to me anyways I'm not going to be looking at it. I just hope you can also put it horizontally as I have no reason/desire to stand it up. I remember when PS2 or PS3 was revealed they revealed it in the vertical position too. But I don't know anyone who ever had theirs vertical.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
All the impressive stuff they showed like Horizon, Demon's Souls, and Ratchet & Clank isn't first gen PS5 graphics. Those games are all almost certainly coming out 2022 or later since no date was given. So if you want to know how games will look in 3-4 years, look at those trailers for games coming out in 3-4 years and then imagine the graphics cut down some from that like they are for every other game that has ever come out. Gotta say I was disappointed to see yet another dismal launch lineup, but that's the norm for non Nintendo console launches. But I really thought Demon's Souls might be a launch title since we have heard about Bluepoint remastering it for years now.
Where is this launch lineup you speak of. Link please?

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Where is this launch lineup you speak of. Link please?

That Spiderman DLC looking game was about it. Everything else interesting either gave no date (so 2022 and beyond) or was dated 2021 (Resident Evil, Hitman III). Unless you thought Godfall looked good, that one is holiday 2020 also.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
That Spiderman DLC looking game was about it. Everything else interesting either gave no date (so 2022 and beyond) or was dated 2021 (Resident Evil, Hitman III). Unless you thought Godfall looked good, that one is holiday 2020 also.
So you're just speculating? Thought you meant there was a legit launch lineup.

GoodRevrnd

Diamond Member
Dec 27, 2001
I figure I can play Cyberpunk on PC, grab one of these after xmas when everything settles down, play the 1 or 2 interesting launch titles, then catch up on the dozen or so PS4 games I never got to play that interest me while waiting for other good stuff to come out. Shame this thing has less power than an XB and a stupid controller, but I guess it doesn't matter when the games are on PS.

Reactions: zinfamous

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
I've never been so underwhelmed by a next generation console as this. We've been talking about 4k gaming for years and even these won't really do it, especially over time.

FaaR

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2007
It is gigantic, holy cow
Interesting! I didn't consider relative sizes during the reveal itself, I was too surprised that they actually showed what it will look like. :p

One wonders what the fan/heatsink inside might look like with dimensions like those to play with. Probably rivals the launch PS3 in overall size and heft. Power consumption figures would also be interesting to know. Launch PS3 had a 400W power supply, fattest so far to my knowledge. Maybe PS5 can rival that... :p

TheELF

Diamond Member
Dec 22, 2012
Reminds me of an Ethereal from the XCOM reboot.
Well had to work in that V shape somewhere..
So all the cooling of the developer version is gone?!
One wonders what the fan/heatsink inside might look like with dimensions like those to play with. Probably rivals the launch PS3 in overall size and heft.
Right?! I would like to know if they can sustain the clocks they were talking about.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
At least it can be sitting horizontally. And holy shit it looks even uglier when horizontal. Like it's trying to shit out a PS4 or something.

vBPmoEj.png

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
yea i hate it but Gran Turismo 7 so I basically have to get one... fack

i've also hated the white since the controller design got leaked. it literally matches nothing i have. the last white console I owned was a damn Sega Dreamcast

Attachments

• bhfxxgrhr.png
    bhfxxgrhr.png
    90.9 KB · Views: 21
Last edited:

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
I personally think it looks pretty cool but I’m kind of bored of plain black boxes in my A/V rack so that’s just me. I will get the disc drive because being able to swap games with friends is still important to me. The ability to play some ps4 titles I missed lately is a bonus but some of what they showed looks really amazing.

MrTeal

Diamond Member
Dec 7, 2003
Right?! I would like to know if they can sustain the clocks they were talking about.
It's also interesting to see, because a lot of assumptions and calculations where made here and other places about the efficiency of RDNA2 based on an assumed console power draw.

You have to wonder if that thing would be so large if it was pulling 200-250W.

FaaR

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2007
It's also interesting to see, because a lot of assumptions and calculations where made here and other places about the efficiency of RDNA2 based on an assumed console power draw.
It's going to be hard to use PS5 to judge RDNA2 efficiency since Sony is pushing the GPU clock so high. That's going to just kill efficiency outright no matter how good the base architecture is. Also, there's those 8 Zen2 cores with their dual AVX2 units each on the same chip, and bunches of specialized hardware which will also draw power, including the 3D sound processing CUs and the SSD offloading and decompression hardware.

Plus Sony also supports turbo boost and AMD SmartShift, so GPU stands to burn any watts it can, keeping power consumption high all the time most likely. :p Unless you stand facing a blank wall I assume... :)

Hopefully both MS and Sony have done something with idle power draw this time around. PS4 generation burned like 50 watts doing absolutely nothing, that's not acceptable.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
With regard to the console's design: I don't understand why they insisted on giving the console a base instead of just mirroring the white plastic flair at the top of the console on the bottom (maybe a little wider) to act as "stands". This would allow the console to not only stand vertically but also also horizontally in any orientation.

I am a little surprised they went with a blu-ray budge + digital design on launch. I would figure they'd reserve the digital only version for a "small" model further down the line, but it wouldn't be the first time Sony has over-complicated the launch model.

FaaR

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2007
Having a digital-only model at launch is "overcomplicating" it? You may recall that launch era xbox 360 came in versions with and without a harddrive, so if there is overcomplication it certainly goes around.

And it's possible you can still stand a PS5 upright without the base - which you can make $40+ out of, selling it to people as an extra peripheral - just like with PS2 for example. It stood up fine vertically without the (non-included) stand; if you had the stand it was simply more difficult to tip over...