Discussion Playstation 5 Games stream, casing revealed

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

FaaR

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2007
Edit: Thankyou!
MOTHERRRRRR.... why did this thread show up here? I was in the console forum!
(Or so I thought! Ackkkk. Mods: please move? I'm senile! :D)

Quite a few games shown in the "live stream" (which was obviously all pre-taped hehe.)

Not all familiar stuff either - quite a few games seem to be fully original works. I don't know console games anymore, so I can't really judge how exciting sequels in existing franchises might be for someone who played the previous installment (ugh. I'm just too old!), but it's interesting and encouraging to see that new ideas still aren't seen as too dangerous to pursue these days, despite rising development costs and stuff like that.

Some of the games seemed to have really amazing graphics (a bit hard to tell how good exactly because the bitrate of the youtube video was friggin' awful on my end at least), other games were clearly lacking in graphics fidelity, animation or both. Bethsoft's Tokyo Ghost title or whatever it was called looked pretty amateurish in both aspects for example while the new Horizon title just killed it graphics-wise (as you would expect.)

And this is just first-gen PS5 graphics... Like Killzone Shadow Fall on PS4 when it launched. Zoweee you can imagine what things will look like in 3-4 years! :)

Pretty much loved the new console design, by the way, especially the Digital Edition, which looks elegant and classy as all hell. Very organic and bold, with some clear callbacks in the design to PS2 and PS3. Pretty much as soon as they showed off the controller I understood the main console would be sheets of black and white plastic, but this was way better looking (to me) than I ever dared hope for. Just wish the disc slot wasn't so darn big and disruptive. If only they'd given it nicely rounded edges, like the Wii's disc slot had. Now I'll have to get the Digital edition because my OCD can't get over that garish detail, and I'll never be able to watch my Blu-Ray discs in peace and quiet anymore (noisy slim edition PS3... Ugh!) :)

Will be interesting to learn more about the haptic features of the new PS5 pad. I hope they've done away with the old rumbler motors completely, finally. Simple spinning offset weights are so 1990s!

Last edited:

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
Having a digital-only model at launch is "overcomplicating" it? You may recall that launch era xbox 360 came in versions with and without a harddrive, so if there is overcomplication it certainly goes around.

And it's possible you can still stand a PS5 upright without the base - which you can make $40+ out of, selling it to people as an extra peripheral - just like with PS2 for example. It stood up fine vertically without the (non-included) stand; if you had the stand it was simply more difficult to tip over...
Yes and that overcomplicated it. No one wanted the no-HD version of the Xbox 360 that is why they phased it out. The only reason it sold anything is because it was the only other option. Same with the 20gb PS3. No one wanted that it was only sold because that was the only option.

GodisanAtheist

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 2006
Having a digital-only model at launch is "overcomplicating" it? You may recall that launch era xbox 360 came in versions with and without a harddrive, so if there is overcomplication it certainly goes around.

And it's possible you can still stand a PS5 upright without the base - which you can make $40+ out of, selling it to people as an extra peripheral - just like with PS2 for example. It stood up fine vertically without the (non-included) stand; if you had the stand it was simply more difficult to tip over...

-You're right that it's definitely not the worst example of product segmentation, but by having to now make two different versions of the console one is one itably going to be left behind at some point.

I just figure the ultimate game plan is to end on a "Digital" only edition, and if they wanted a disc based version they should have just started with that foot forward and built around that. Right now the disc drive looks like a tumor growing out of the side of the digital model, which is a suitable metaphor for how Sony likely sees it.

Or maybe they should have gone all in on digital, not like anyone is playing PS4 games without having to download huge patches before playing anyhow.

cmdrdredd

Lifer
Dec 12, 2001
Or maybe they should have gone all in on digital, not like anyone is playing PS4 games without having to download huge patches before playing anyhow.

Trust me there are certainly some people playing without patches. If you aren’t connected to the internet you just pop the disc in, install, and go. No patches at all. Sure the patch may make for a better experience but I’m positive there are some people without their PS4 online. Specifically those consoles that are in a child’s room. It does push you to connect online but it’s not required to play after initial setup.

FaaR

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2007
Yes and that overcomplicated it.
You have an odd definition of "overcomplicating". Life isn't like Henry Ford's "you can get it in any color as long as it's black"; there IS room for choice. Especially when the available selection stands between only TWO models.

Why does it grate you so much that people who don't want a disc drive in their console can have that?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
You have an odd definition of "overcomplicating". Life isn't like Henry Ford's "you can get it in any color as long as it's black"; there IS room for choice. Especially when the available selection stands between only TWO models.

Why does it grate you so much that people who don't want a disc drive in their console can have that?
Please quote me where I said that. I will wait for your reply thanks.

EXCellR8

Diamond Member
Sep 1, 2010
Think I might hold out for a "slim" or blackout version... don't mind waiting unless the exclusives are absolutely bonkers good. I just can't get over the look of it right now; especially if it's as big as some people are figuring. Give them a couple of years to bring the footprint down and subtle-ize the case and I'm 100% IN.

jpiniero

Lifer
Oct 1, 2010
Something like half of the console market uses digital exclusively. But it's only half, it's not like PC where it's close to 100% digital.

Don't want isn't the wording I would use... willing to forgo it to save $$$ on the console price yes. But the drive doesn't cost that much.

FaaR

Golden Member
Dec 28, 2007
Please quote me where I said that. I will wait for your reply thanks.
Oh please, don't come at me with that kind of passive-aggression. At my jaded semi-old age I have no patience for such childishness.

You called having an entire two slightly different console models 'overcomplicating the launch' - which is clearly a massive exaggeration, especially considering we've had other console launches in the past with more than one model on the menu.

So enough of that nonsense. Alright?

quikah

Diamond Member
Apr 7, 2003
Was there confirmation that it will play UHD blu-rays?

I wonder if the futuristic look will limit the special editions? Not that big of a deal, just wonder if they would dramatically change the casing to fit better.

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
At least it can be sitting horizontally. And holy shit it looks even uglier when horizontal. Like it's trying to shit out a PS4 or something.

vBPmoEj.png

hmm, I actually think that looks pretty awesome. Not my typical style, but I do like Frank Gehry stuff, and it reminds of that. I think it works--though I'd like to know about noise and cooling and whether or not this design could have a negative impact on that. Wouldn't be worth the design, if that were the case.

symmetry can be overrated sometimes. :D

installation-bilbao-gehry-2001.jpg

zinfamous

No Lifer
Jul 12, 2006
That is one ugly building.

well it's in Prague. ...it's pretty awesome, just difficult to get a good shot of it because the rest of the area is kinda junky (all the power lines and busy intersection). I think I have an OK photo from way back when, but it's difficult to grab in a photo. There are other parts of the city where it would "make more sense."

anyway, that's a bit OT.

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
well it's in Prague. ...it's pretty awesome, just difficult to get a good shot of it because the rest of the area is kinda junky (all the power lines and busy intersection). I think I have an OK photo from way back when, but it's difficult to grab in a photo. There are other parts of the city where it would "make more sense."

anyway, that's a bit OT.
Nope. It's just an ugly ass building that looks like a mistake.

Saylick

Diamond Member
Sep 10, 2012
Frank Gehry buildings are always unnecessarily curvy or pointy. As an engineer myself, I have to agree with Wikipedia: "Criticism of his work includes complaints over design flaws that the buildings waste structural resources by creating functionless forms, do not seem to belong in their surroundings or enhance the public context of their locations, and are apparently designed without accounting for the local climate."

As for the PS5, it is definitely more curvaceous than most consumer devices, but I imagine the internal packaging is going to be rather space efficient like the PS4:
sono2-4-2.jpg

In comparison, take a look at the internals of the Xbox One (original):
xbox-one-internals.jpg

It was literally PC components thrown into an over-sized box.

Reactions: FaaR