Playstation 4 storage question. Can you install on an external and...

JPB

Diamond Member
Jul 4, 2005
I would like to add more space, to my PS4. And I know you can run an external drive. But my question is.... can I "install" games on the external drive....AND "play" them from that drive ?

I have read online that some say you can, but others say you cannot. On SONY's own site, it states that you can only install "apps" on the external.

So, I want to hook up an external drive, via USB.... install some games on it, and play them. Can this be done on a PS4 ?

EDIT: I am referring to physical disc copies of games. So with the disc in the drive, can I run the game from the external ?

purbeast0

No Lifer
Sep 13, 2001
I would like to add more space, to my PS4. And I know you can run an external drive. But my question is.... can I "install" games on the external drive....AND "play" them from that drive ?

I have read online that some say you can, but others say you cannot. On SONY's own site, it states that you can only install "apps" on the external.

So, I want to hook up an external drive, via USB.... install some games on it, and play them. Can this be done on a PS4 ?

EDIT: I am referring to physical disc copies of games. So with the disc in the drive, can I run the game from the external ?
I believe "applications" refers to executables, like games, bluray player, youtube, etc.

I'm like 99% sure you can play games off of them.

Reactions: JPB

KentState

Diamond Member
Oct 19, 2001
You can and I have done this. Both with a 1TB SSD and a 3TB 7200rpm drive. Both performed about the same.

Reactions: JPB