Playstation 3 Update 4.90 is out!

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
So, what's your favorite PS3 game? I'm a big fan of God of War 3, Blazblue Continuum Shift, and Wipeout HD.

What's New for 4.90:

• This system software update improves system performance.
What's New for 4.89:

• Signing in to PlayStation Network now requires a device password for enhanced account protection.
  • Account creation for PlayStation Network and some account management features are no longer available on the console. Use your PC or mobile browser to use account management features with improved performance, speed, and safety.
What's New for 4.88:

• This system software update improves system performance.
What's New for 4.81:

• This system software update improves the quality of the system performance.
What's New for 4.80:

• Ended Facebook support.
What's New for 4.75:

• The system software improves the stability of the operation.
What's New for 4.70:

• The name and icon for PSN have been changed to PlayStation Network.
What's New for 4.55:

• System stability during use of PlayStation 3 format software has been improved.

Jul 27, 2020
For me, I was amazed by the production values of Catherine and how much fun and hectic the gameplay was. Sadly, my PS3 got murdered by cockroach feces and I lost my progress in the game.

I also had a fair bit of fun in Gran Turismo 5 and 6. I probably have over a hundred PS3 games bought on sale in my PS library but haven't been able to play 99% of them. Life is cruel.

I would love to know how to restore a backup from an old PS3 model to a newer one. Tried at least two times but it didn't work. I think it's coz of the encryption keys being different.

Golgatha

Lifer
Jul 18, 2003
For me, I was amazed by the production values of Catherine and how much fun and hectic the gameplay was. Sadly, my PS3 got murdered by cockroach feces and I lost my progress in the game.

I also had a fair bit of fun in Gran Turismo 5 and 6. I probably have over a hundred PS3 games bought on sale in my PS library but haven't been able to play 99% of them. Life is cruel.

I would love to know how to restore a backup from an old PS3 model to a newer one. Tried at least two times but it didn't work. I think it's coz of the encryption keys being different.

Yup, unfortunately the backup is tied to the hardware it came from due to the encryption keys.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014

You're just worried about the savefiles?

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I believe savefiles can be transferred to different consoles by putting the hard drive into a USB dock/caddy and using the restore feature on the new console. Note that you won't get downloaded content, for that you need to log in to the PS network account and redownload to the new console (and I think you can only do that across 3 consoles, and after that you need to purchase again). So any time limited demo's are gone and you won't ever get them back unless you repair the original console.

Now that I am thinking on it, I believe you need to have exported the saves first... I never upgraded to a new console, but only ever swapped out to a larger hard drive (I should probably consider making a backup now... my console is a launch 60GB PS3 and still works (and I should probably re-apply thermal paste again, since it has been years since I did that)).

Last edited:

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
My favorite PS3 games on my launch 60GB model were

Resistance: Fall of Man. My son and I played that through on co-op a couple of times

Ratchet and Clank Future: Tools of Destruction

Infamous

Fallen Kell

Diamond Member
Oct 9, 1999
I never got into Resistance: Fall of Man. I mean, I purchased it, but could never get past the controls. I think it has to do that I can't stand shooters without using a keyboard and mouse. Although surprisingly I did really like "Metal Gear Solid: Sons of Liberty", and the Uncharted games.

Jul 27, 2020
Although surprisingly I did really like "Metal Gear Solid: Sons of Liberty"
Enjoy the 1st one and any of the later games?

Nintendo managed to get exclusives from the series on Gamecube and GBA and it sucks that they aren't available anywhere else.

SteveGrabowski

Diamond Member
Oct 20, 2014
Old bump, but I'll go with Demon's Souls. That game was a blast and the entire reason I bought a PS3 back in spring 2017 after how much I enjoyed Bloodborne after buying a PS4 in December 2016. Bosses weren't as interesting as later FromSoft games but the level design was top notch. Would probably take it over The Last of Us and Uncharted 2-3, though those were great too. Still can't believe Gamestop had PS3s for $40 in spring 2017. How the hell would you not buy one for that price? Nowadays good luck even getting a DualShock 3 for that price. Still going to have to fire it up to play all those Ratchet & Clank Future games I bought for like $1.99 each in the PSN sales in 2017 when they were putting all the system's heavy hitters on the equivalent of clearance sales every week in every new sale. Glad I got every exclusive I wanted that was available digital before they stopped fire selling PS3 games after the 2017 summer sale.

Last edited: