Playstation 3 Price Cut to be Phased Out

apac

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2003
Text

In the ongoing Playstation 3 pricing drama, according to Reuters, Sony has announced plans to phase out the recently price reduced $499 Playstation 3 model in the United States, in favor of the increased capacity $599 model originally slated for Korea.

Sony to phase out $500 PlayStation 3 Mon Jul 16, 2007 7:32PM EDT

Sony confirms end of ps3 60gb model, $499 price

History repeats itself:

Originally introduced at $599, the 60GB version of the Playstation 3 was recently reduced to a list price of $499. This model will now bow out for an 80GB model priced at $599. For a short time, the 60GB version, had in effect, replaced the previously discontinued 20GB version that made its debut at a $499 retail price.

Sony will not be manufacturing any new 60GB units when the 80GB version goes on sale and will simply sell off the remaining inventory of those units. Sort of like a clearance sale.

This also follows Sony?s equally dramatic denial of the price cut until the end. In an interview with Reuters, reported on Friday, July 6, that Playstation 3 prices would not be cut according to Sony President Ryoji Chubachi.

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005
and yet again, this does not say the 80GB will stay at $600, more than likely the 80GB will become the only PS3 at a price of $499 since it is cheaper to make than the 60GB version.

Nothing new here, in fact, this is the same as the other thread.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
The PS3 just spent 10 days as Amazon's #1 sales rank item in video games, and now it's still at #2.

Odds are close to 100% that the 80GB (probably without bundled game) will drop to 499 once Sony sells through the 1-2 million 60GB units that are already manufactured.

apac

Diamond Member
Apr 12, 2003
Originally posted by: Imp
Welcome to last week?

guess this is a repost? oh well, it was front page at avsforum, apparently they're slow. Carry on :).

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: MikeyLSU
and yet again, this does not say the 80GB will stay at $600, more than likely the 80GB will become the only PS3 at a price of $499 since it is cheaper to make than the 60GB version.

Nothing new here, in fact, this is the same as the other thread.

There is no confirmation that they won't drop the price on the 80 GB - and you wouldn't expect them to either, because that would hurt sales of the 60 GB.

There is also no reason at all to believe that Sony WILL drop the price of the 80 GB. That is just something that many gamers THINK would make sense. What we think makes sense and what Sony does are often not the same thing. Most people thought the PS3 was overpriced from the get-go, but Sony didn't drop the price - in fact they dropped the $500 version due to supposedly "low demand" even though it seemed to be the one that everyone wanted - the one that was sold out everywhere.

All we can do is wait and see if Sony is willing to lose an additional $500 on each console.

Edit: Also, note that the source of this "news" is a blog post and contains no direct quotes. So this guy is probably taking the comments by the SCEE guy as "confirmation," which they are not.

I wish people would leave the news reporting to real journalists.

Edit2: My bad, there is a link to an actual article there too.

Thraxen

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2001
Originally posted by: mugs
There is also no reason at all to believe that Sony WILL drop the price of the 80 GB. That is just something that many gamers THINK would make sense. What we think makes sense and what Sony does are often not the same thing. Most people thought the PS3 was overpriced from the get-go, but Sony didn't drop the price - in fact they dropped the $500 version due to supposedly "low demand" even though it seemed to be the one that everyone wanted - the one that was sold out everywhere.

But that would leave their only system as a bundle. I see no way they'll do that. Sony has become known for doing stupid things, but it appears that dropping the 60 GB by $100 has resulted in nice sales boost (based on ranks at Amazon) and I have a hard time believing they would let that go by getting rid of the $499 price point.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Thraxen

But that would leave their only system as a bundle. I see no way they'll do that. Sony has become known for doing stupid things, but it appears that dropping the 60 GB by $100 has resulted in nice sales boost (based on ranks at Amazon) and I have a hard to believing they would let that go by getting rid of the $499 price point.

Like I said, all we have are guesses and assumptions.

ObscureCaucasian

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2006
I think it makes more sense for Sony to keep the 60gig at 500, and then instead of an 80gig, release a 120 or 160 version for the 600 price point.

MikeyLSU

Platinum Member
Dec 21, 2005

But that would leave their only system as a bundle. I see no way they'll do that. Sony has become known for doing stupid things, but it appears that dropping the 60 GB by $100 has resulted in nice sales boost (based on ranks at Amazon) and I have a hard to believing they would let that go by getting rid of the $499 price point.

that is fine, but when someone starts a post saying that Sony is stupid because they are getting rid of the cheap model and will only offer a $600 PS3, that is just as much of an assumption.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
The 80GB costs Sony less to make than the 60GB since the 80GB hard drive is the same price and that model uses software emulation in place of the PS2 EE chip.

So once the 60GB is sold out, Sony loses less money per unit by selling the 80GB for $499 instead of making more 60GBs.

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006
omg sony is selling out of the 60gb ps3?? holy crap thats great. glad to see sony is finally starting to kick some but in the console market. i should buy one before they are all sold out, maybe i can flip it on ebay and make a profit.

ObscureCaucasian

Diamond Member
Jul 23, 2006
Originally posted by: randay
omg sony is selling out of the 60gb ps3?? holy crap thats great. glad to see sony is finally starting to kick some but in the console market. i should buy one before they are all sold out, maybe i can flip it on ebay and make a profit.

Sony is doing pretty good this month, but if MS decides to cut the Price of the 360 I think you'll see it do even better than the PS3.

I just don't see the PS3 really taking off until it is in the $300-$400 range.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

If by "selling out" you mean "discontinuing" and by "kick some but" [sic] you mean "clawing their way back from distant last place," then yes, you are correct. If you really think you will be able to make a profit on one on eBay, I think you are delusional. Some people might desire one for the ability to play the 12% of games that are not yet emulated, but there is no way that demand will drive the price over retail.

But you can dream I suppose. :)

randay

Lifer
May 30, 2006

If by "selling out" you mean "discontinuing" and by "kick some but" [sic] you mean "clawing their way back from distant last place," then yes, you are correct. If you really think you will be able to make a profit on one on eBay, I think you are delusional. Some people might desire one for the ability to play the 12% of games that are not yet emulated, but there is no way that demand will drive the price over retail.

:music:they see me rollin'
they hatin':music:

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003

:music:they see me rollin'
they hatin':music:

Just "keepin it real," "bro" ;)

Modelworks

Lifer
Feb 22, 2007
I need to find out who is sony's distributor for hard drives.
I could make a killing selling them 80GB drives.

difference in price from 80gb to 60 gb . 100.00
Feels like a timewarp to 5 years ago.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
Originally posted by: Modelworks
I need to find out who is sony's distributor for hard drives.
I could make a killing selling them 80GB drives.

difference in price from 80gb to 60 gb . 100.00
Feels like a timewarp to 5 years ago.
They're buying them from Microsoft, $180 for a 360 120GB (vs. $70 at Newegg) :roll:

You do know the 80GB Limited (to suckers) Edition also includes the $60 game Motorstorm, don't you?

Your troll-fu is weak, train harder.

her34

Dec 4, 2004
Originally posted by: MikeyLSU

that is fine, but when someone starts a post saying that Sony is stupid because they are getting rid of the cheap model and will only offer a $600 PS3, that is just as much of an assumption.

there are reasons to believe that the 60gb is going away. strongest reason being statements from sony heads.

there are no reasons beyond fanboy wishful thinking, assumptions, and guesses to believe 80gb will drop to $500. it may happen when 60gb stock runs out, it may happen many months after 80gb is at $600, a 120gb may be introduced (hinted by sony heads) creating the $500 & $600 price points again. or the 80gb may be phased out as well and simply be replaced by 120gb at $600.

DaveSimmons

Elite Member
Aug 12, 2001
And there is no reason other than wii/360 fanboy Sony hating to assume that Sony won't offer the 80GB without Motorstorm for $500.

Contrary to this thread's title, no one knows either way. We'll find out.

BD2003

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Originally posted by: DaveSimmons
And there is no reason other than wii/360 fanboy Sony hating to assume that Sony won't offer the 80GB without Motorstorm for $500.

Contrary to this thread's title, no one knows either way. We'll find out.

Well then, theyre probably going to have to sell through the lot of the bundles with motorstorm before they start shipping them without. Unless they want to sell it with motorstorm at $499...that would be a pretty good deal, but I just don't see that happening, and I especially don't see them selling 80gbs with and without motorstorm side by side. I suppose we'll see.