Playstation 3 camping out

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the AnandTech community: where nearly half-a-million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Queasy

Moderator<br>Console Gaming
Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: sindows
Some guys literally did camp out at my BestBuy before the 360 came out. Had a tent, fire, couch(genious I tell you), pizza, soda, etc.

When I was sitting inside at Wal-Mart waiting for the 12:01AM launch, a couple of guys from a nearby Best Buy left their spots in line to come over and buy camping equipment. :laugh:

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: Pastore
Originally posted by: QueBert
Sony hasn't confirmed launch numbers execept the "around 200k" right? With the track record this year I wouldn't hold my breath for any store to get more then 2 units.

Exactly my point. This launch is going to be stretched even thinner than the 360 launch. I don't believe for a second that these EB/Gamestop stores are going to be able to fill even half of their 16 pre-orders.

Actually, Sony said they will have 400,000 for the North American launch. Whether or not they actually deliver that number is to be seen.

I believe the 360 launched with something like 350k-400k units in North America.

Trey22

Diamond Member
Oct 31, 2003
My and my bud had a blast camping out for the 360 at Fry's. We were #5 & 6 and only had to wait 12 hrs. He kept his, I sold mine (for $25 over my cost to a fellow AT member).

Yeah, probably camp out for the PS3, if I get one, I probably won't keep it as I'm not into console gaming.

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Queasy
Sony hasn't confirmed launch numbers execept the "around 200k" right? With the track record this year I wouldn't hold my breath for any store to get more then 2 units.

Exactly my point. This launch is going to be stretched even thinner than the 360 launch. I don't believe for a second that these EB/Gamestop stores are going to be able to fill even half of their 16 pre-orders.

Actually, Sony said they will have 400,000 for the North American launch. Whether or not they actually deliver that number is to be seen.

I believe the 360 launched with something like 350k-400k units in North America.

Yeah, when you add it up all of GameStop's preorders amount to less than 75k systems. Being as that they're the ONLY national video game store chain, that's a reasonable allocation and I think Sony will fill those orders.

If Sony can't have 400k ready for the launch, they really ought to just hold off until early next year. What's the point of launching before Christmas if you can't take advantage of it?

Queasy

Aug 24, 2001
Originally posted by: mugs
Originally posted by: Queasy

Yeah, when you add it up all of GameStop's preorders amount to less than 75k systems. Being as that they're the ONLY national video game store chain, that's a reasonable allocation and I think Sony will fill those orders.

If Sony can't have 400k ready for the launch, they really ought to just hold off until early next year. What's the point of launching before Christmas if you can't take advantage of it?

Sony has alot of obligations to live up to because of the Blu-Ray. Their partners are expecting the PS3 to be out this year to help drive Blu-Ray.

Ramma2

Platinum Member
Jul 29, 2002
Camping out for 2 days says the man from the south!

Sit outside that long in the northern regions and you're bound to lose a limb or two.

Baked

Lifer
Dec 28, 2004
I'm gonna sell my spot for camping for a PS3 for resale on ebay for $500 on ebay.

acemcmac

Lifer
Mar 31, 2003
I fence the consoles as soon as my people on the ground tell me that they have them, rather than wait out front myself. It's usually a few hundred bucks for a few hours work and I take on none of the risk.

$1200 and $1000 for a pair of xbox 360 premiums within 24 hours of launch

Injury

Lifer
Jul 19, 2004
Originally posted by: Baked
I'm gonna sell my spot for camping for a PS3 for resale on ebay for $500 on ebay.

Now that's genious.

Start a line outside of a store and when other people line up, offer to sell your spot.

If I gave a damn about the PS3 for ebay purposes I'd pay someone $50-200 to get the first spot in line and not have to wait but a few minutes knowing I'd make well over a grand selling the damn thing. The range, of course, dependant on the gaurauntee of getting one.

buck

Lifer
Dec 11, 2000
Won't you only be able to buy one? How much is your rent? Is work that hard to find in your area? I mean, I understand if you want it to play it, but i can think of better ways to make money. Like the preorder folks....

EngenZerO

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2001
oh def... i am in the midst of figuring out where i plan on camping out though up here in virginia... last year it was @ sterling for the 360 midnight...

i am also looking in at doing the toys r us prebuy... and then camping out as well... keep one sell the other...

Oct 20, 2005
Originally posted by: Trey22
My and my bud had a blast camping out for the 360 at Fry's. We were #5 & 6 and only had to wait 12 hrs. He kept his, I sold mine (for $25 over my cost to a fellow AT member).

Yeah, probably camp out for the PS3, if I get one, I probably won't keep it as I'm not into console gaming.

You camped out for the 360 and only made $25 profit? wow you got owned.

EngenZerO

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2001
Originally posted by: joshsquall
Originally posted by: EngenZerO
i am also looking in at doing the toys r us prebuy

Details?

i guess tomorrow they are releasing information to the stores about when they are allowed to start their pre-buy (if there will be one). i am expecting some sort of bundled pre-buy.

blazerazor

Golden Member
Aug 28, 2003
Originally posted by: wetcat007
I'm camping out for the Wii, but not the PS3...

You must be PLAYING it and not SELLING it for $$$.
I hope get one (wii) on the 19th too, but I'm not camping.

Gunslinger08

Lifer
Nov 18, 2001

Details?

i guess tomorrow they are releasing information to the stores about when they are allowed to start their pre-buy (if there will be one). i am expecting some sort of bundled pre-buy.

Where are you getting this info? Will I have to call my local store to see if they're doing it?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: acemcmac
I fence the consoles as soon as my people on the ground tell me that they have them, rather than wait out front myself. It's usually a few hundred bucks for a few hours work and I take on none of the risk.

How do you find people willing to camp out for a system for you instead of just selling it themselves?

EngenZerO

Diamond Member
Dec 24, 2001

Details?

Where are you getting this info? Will I have to call my local store to see if they're doing it?

called my local tru and thats what they guy said, said to call back tomorrow.

DrPizza

Administrator Elite Member Goat Whisperer
Mar 5, 2001
www.slatebrookfarm.com
Originally posted by: sindows
Some guys literally did camp out at my BestBuy before the 360 came out. Had a tent, fire, couch(genious I tell you), pizza, soda, etc.

Couch? Bah.

A couple friends of mine have it mastered...
In the middle of nowhere:
quiet generator
big screen television
surround sound system
small fridge (for the beer)
portable satellite dish (directv)

THAT's camping. Went to the friends house to have a few beers with the guys (they were watching Nascar, I wasn't really interested.) I was shocked to discover the whole setup.

If it occurred during a break from school, I might consider doing something similar outside a store, just for kicks.

Sureshot324

Diamond Member
Feb 4, 2003

How do you find people willing to camp out for a system for you instead of just selling it themselves?

You pay them a salary and you put up the cash to buy the PS3s and take all the risk of selling them on ebay.

All the buzz about the PS3 on the internet has been overwelmingly negative. Almost nobody seems to have anything good to say about it, so that makes me kind of leary about trying to buy one and sell it on ebay. Where are all these people that are going to buy these 500 000 ps3s that they're gonig to have at launch?

mugs

Lifer
Apr 29, 2003
Originally posted by: Sureshot324

You pay them a salary and you put up the cash to buy the PS3s and take all the risk of selling them on ebay.

Well he said he takes on none of the risk which is what is confusing me... if you're paying someone to camp out for it, then you risk having to pay them even if they don't get one.

I think you'd have to be an idiot to let someone pay you $200 to camp outside of Bestbuy for a PS3 when you could make 3x that by selling it on eBay yourself.

Originally posted by: Sureshot324
All the buzz about the PS3 on the internet has been overwelmingly negative. Almost nobody seems to have anything good to say about it, so that makes me kind of leary about trying to buy one and sell it on ebay. Where are all these people that are going to buy these 500 000 ps3s that they're gonig to have at launch?

There are plenty of people who still want one.