Playstation 2

konichiwa

Lifer
Oct 9, 1999
Who's going to buy one? I haven't made up my mind yet. One big perk for me is that it doubles as a set-top DVD player, and I don't have one of those. It's a shame really, I have a 36" WEGA TV, 6 piece Boston Acoustic surround sound system, Dolby 5.1 reciever setup but no DVD! :)

Are any of you planning on buying one? Can anyone give me some more info as to the quality of the DVD playback capabilities of the PS2 as opposed to a regular, Sony, Toshiba, Panasonic, whatever DVD player?

bigvince

Banned
Aug 25, 2000
i AM going to buy one and i have heard that the DVD performance will be as good or better than set-top DVD players because of the differnce in clock speeds also i don't know what speed set-top DVD players run at but considering that the one in the PS2 is a 4xer that could come into play.

also for the price you just CAN'T beat the PS2 in the way of flexibilty.

"you mean i can play kick ass games, watch DVD movies, and surf the web, all with the same box that costs $300.00 US?!"

why the hell wouldn't i get one!

Only if the games are really good. There is nothing on PS2 that I can't do on the Dreamcast (other than watch DVDs, big deal). When the killer games come out and the price drops below $200 then I will consider it.

Let's see a game as good as Soul Calibur for PS2. Even Dead or Alive 2 looks better on Dreamcast than the PS2, they should have used FSAA for that title. Yes, I like fighting games.

Might as well just wait to see how the Xbox looks. Still, I am really concerned about the processor (P3) and the OS (Win2k ultra-lite) on the Xbox. Neither of which lend themselves to gaming much. They can put whatever generation NVDA chip in there, the processor and OS still suck.

Soulflare

Golden Member
Apr 16, 2000
I'm getting my PS2 around the second week of November thanks to
Sony's shipping shortage. The only bummer is that the 3 games
I currently want for the system won't be out until a while after
I get the system... NHL 2001(late Nov.), GT3 and Zone of Endors
(Feb.-Mar.).

Dwell, I'm pretty sure that most Sony developers have figured out
FSAA for the PS2 by now since I've heard that Namco was able to get
rid of all the "jaggies" from Tekkan Tag Tournament.

Raspewtin

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 1999
I have one on order but not I probably won't take delivery on it. Lately my interest in games and computers has moved over to home theater. The DVD player in the Sony won't be as good as a $300 progressive scan DVD player.

Aquaman

Lifer
Dec 17, 1999
I talked to my cousin (who works at EB) again and they are only getting 84 machines (on launch) eventhough they had deposits on 150+ (usually EB is good in that if you have a deposit you get your item). I sure would hate to work on that day (1 million calls about PS2 and being bitched out by customers that did not get a machine).

Cheers,
Aquaman

Soulflare: Yeah. FSAA was not included in the original developers kit. All the new games use FSAA.

Raspewtin

Diamond Member
Nov 16, 1999
sciencewiz - yup, and you can even use your old memory cards with your PS games (but can't use them for PS2 games).

piku

Diamond Member
May 30, 2000

<< and surf the web >>

I would like to see you surf the web before next year. hahahahahahaha

Online gaming with the Dreamcast is here NOW.

Toxin

May 6, 2000
FSAA has been solved.. and most of the games.. even some launch titles are using FSAA now..

Games won't be a prob for PS2... it has too many major backers..

i have mine on order.. and it'll be great

online gaming with SegaNET's somewhat stupid ploy to sell machines.. nah... not for me :)..

beat mania

Platinum Member
Jan 23, 2000
already have one ... dvd playback isn't too shabby, on my 32&quot; wega. I need to remember to pick up the component cables next time I'm in Japan though ... or maybe here, when they release it.

beat mania

Platinum Member
Jan 23, 2000
mine? of course not.
I just Japanese games anyway ... you get it sooner than US games, and sometimes it has more stuff. Plus there are so much more good games that are available only in Japan.

I don't doubt the ability to play US games once the US unit comes out, when the mod chip people gets busy.

Gatsby

Golden Member
Nov 6, 1999
I'm getting one for the sole purpose of a DVD player.. THe game factor is just an added bonus

Gatsby

Pastfinder

Platinum Member
Jul 2, 2000
I probably will buy one, but I will wait a few months for the price to drop. I spend my money on my computer, then the gaming systems.