Playstation 2 or Xbox

heresiarh

Apr 30, 2004
I recently acquired a Gamecube and bought metroid prime with it. I haven't been able to put the controller down, the game just kicks ass. Now I want to go ahead and get Playstation2 or Xbox. Which one should i get?

Axon

Platinum Member
Sep 25, 2003
One vote for an Xbox. PS2 has a few exclusives, but the Xbox has better features, graphics, and built-in online play.

Virtually every game is cross-platform now, so you can't go wrong either way.

Matthias99

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2003
PS2. I'm not a huge fan of Halo (played it, and the multiplayer's fun, but it's not the BEST GAME EVAR), and most of the other XBox-exclusive titles suck, IMHO. PS2 has a much larger library of generally better quality games, and the graphics aren't THAT much better on the XBox. Plus, you have to deal with their awful controllers...

RadioHead84

Platinum Member
Jan 8, 2004
I love the xbox controllers...the big ones. They fit nicely in your hand and they feel like they mean something when your playing with thtem. They also made the S type controllers which everyone seems too like too. I am not a fan of them however becuase they are smaller and dont fit in the hand as well as the big one do. Also they changed the start and select buttons to the left...I mean hoenstly....after years and years of gaming..NO ONE SCREWS WITH THE START AND SELECT LOCATION.....jeez...and the white and black buttons are moved a bit too.

I have an xbox and sometime wonder if i should get a PS2....

PS2 deff has more games...and DDR Max DDR Max and soon to have DDR Extreme while XBOX only has DDR Ultramix.. :(

That being said XBOX deff has better graphics and a better overall system. It is plain to see what the diff of graphics is after playing NFS underground on both the PS2 and the XBOX. Some good games are starting to come out on the XBOX soo maybe sooner or later the game thing will even out...but at the moment PS2 does have a heck of a lot of games....

sooooo yeah...

Delorian

Mar 10, 2004
I say PS2, DVD playing out of box, good game library, good controllers and it has GTA before any other system. Just don't be suprised about paying for a network adapter/4 player multitap/hard drive purchases as these are the only things that Xbox has on PS2 IMO.

ForceCalibur

Banned
Mar 20, 2004
If you don't have a PC, get an XBox to play games on it.
If you do, get a PS2 and play exclusives on it.

Go look at the games you want to play, your not playing the hardware, your playing software.

heresiarh

Apr 30, 2004
Originally posted by: ForceCalibur
If you don't have a PC, get an XBox to play games on it.
If you do, get a PS2 and play exclusives on it.

Go look at the games you want to play, your not playing the hardware, your playing software.

I do have a PC. I do all my major gaming on a pc. The main game I am interested in playing is the GTA series. They have a new one coming out called GTA St. Andreas (i think). Other than that, Metal Gear Solid series is fantastic. So i think i should lean more towards PS2. As far as graphics are concerned, hey, I am happy with the Gamecube graphics too. I look more into gameplay than graphics.

ArmchairAthlete

Diamond Member
Dec 3, 2002
There are a number of good Gamecube games out there besides Prime to try, but I guess you want one of the other systems too sooner or later. Metroid Prime 2 is coming! Thought you might want to know since you liked the first.

It's all about what system has the most games you want. Nothing is more important. I see very few good games on the Xbox platform, but quite a few for PS2. That's just my opinion though. Xbox's online gaming is the strongest of the 3 consoles, but I use my PC for online gaming so I don't care.

EDIT: And yea, you just can't beat those PS2 controllers!

EDIT2: You can see pretty graphics on all 3 consoles, but it's gameplay and longevity that really make a game a good purchase.

ponyo

Lifer
Feb 14, 2002
If you have home theater, Xbox makes most sense due to modding and the large library of 480p/720p games.

If you don't and you play on regular TV, buy the one which has most games you like.

heresiarh

Apr 30, 2004
I don't have a home theater system. I think I'll just get PS2. I've heard that they are coming out with a new version of the PS2 next june?

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator CPU Forum Mod and Elite Member
Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I'm lovin' this modded X-box, it has replaced my HTPC thanks to it's capabilities to play all my windoze media and DVDs with the same soundstorm quality audio. I play my games from the 80gb HDD, it can emulate older consoles if you have titles you still like, and there are now many titles for x-box that are fun, something that was a crutch for the console for the first couple years it was out. One of my nephews has a PS2 and I wasn't very impressed with it personally.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I've been playing the NFS series, SSX series, Simpson's series, Star wars series, GTA series, and of course Halo. All are pretty entertaining except clone wars which I personally think sucks :laugh: Having been strcitly a PC gamer for a couple years outside of the occassional PS2 with my nephew or normal x-box with a friend, I've been stoked to play on a big screen, especially the racing titles.

Matthias99

Diamond Member
Oct 7, 2003
Originally posted by: DAPUNISHER
I've been playing the NFS series, SSX series, Simpson's series, Star wars series, GTA series, and of course Halo. All are pretty entertaining except clone wars which I personally think sucks :laugh: Having been strcitly a PC gamer for a couple years outside of the occassional PS2 with my nephew or normal x-box with a friend, I've been stoked to play on a big screen, especially the racing titles.

See, here's my problem with the X-Box's library. They only have a handful of truly 'exclusive' titles.

NFS -- available on the PC.

SSX -- cross-platform.

Simpsons -- cross-platform.

Star Wars: KOTOR -- available on the PC. Other SW games are cross-platform.

GTA -- cross-platform (not on GCN).

Halo -- available on the PC (was XBox-exclusive for a long time, though).

So out of that list, only one of those games (Halo) was really XBox exclusive -- and even *that* one is on the PC now!

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: Matthias99
Originally posted by: DAPUNISHER

See, here's my problem with the X-Box's library. They only have a handful of truly 'exclusive' titles.

NFS -- available on the PC.

SSX -- cross-platform.

Simpsons -- cross-platform.

Star Wars: KOTOR -- available on the PC. Other SW games are cross-platform.

GTA -- cross-platform (not on GCN).

Halo -- available on the PC (was XBox-exclusive for a long time, though).

So out of that list, only one of those games (Halo) was really XBox exclusive -- and even *that* one is on the PC now!
Personally exclusive means dick to me, if it's fun that's the extent of my criteria. I'm certain there are a few titles for PS2 that I can't play but given the trade off of having full multimedia capabilities and other mods I find useful, I went with x-box over PS2 for those reasons. I wouldn't choose x-box over my PC but the 2 together are a more powerful combo than PS2 would make. Unless PS2 has mods and capabilities I'm just not aware of.

heresiarh

Apr 30, 2004
I was doing some research for the past hour and did not find any game that would interest me on the Xbox. Although I do see some new games coming out but I'm sure there will be PC versions out too. As for PS2, GTA SAN ANDREAS and the new Metal Gear Solid is coming.

I do believe PS2 chips can be modded since mostly all PS2s in South Asian countries are modded, specially China, India and Pakistan. You barely pay anything for latest games.

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
Originally posted by: heresiarh
I was doing some research for the past hour and did not find any game that would interest me on the Xbox. Although I do see some new games coming out but I'm sure there will be PC versions out too. As for PS2, GTA SAN ANDREAS and the new Metal Gear Solid is coming.

I do believe PS2 chips can be modded since mostly all PS2s in South Asian countries are modded, specially China, India and Pakistan. You barely pay anything for latest games.
I just googled it and there does appear to be mod chips that play all games including CD-R and DVD-r Backups, Import Originals with absolutely No Swapping and No Gameshark Required. Nice! in the end, what games you are interested in is the clicncher, and since you don't see anything exclusive to x-box you want PS2 looks like a winner for you. I am curious how old you are though, because I often hear it asserted that x-box is more an adult's gaming console and it be interesting to see if that's generally the case or not :)

heresiarh

Apr 30, 2004
I'm 23. I do all my adult gaming on the PC:). I am heavily into strategy games. My first ever console system was a gamecube that I bought about a week ago and has been a different fun experience. I think I'll just get PS2.

Have you by any chance played Ninja Gaiden for the Xbox? That is one game I might be interested in.

StraightPipe

Golden Member
Feb 5, 2003
I have a PS2 and really love the game selection. all XBox games I've enjoyed have been available on PC too (any my PC is faster than XBox, with higher resolution)

That said, I must admt that Halo is much smoother on XBox than PC, and the Cooperative play mode is what really brought Halo over-the-top.

Also After compairing GTA Vice City PS2 and XBox, the Xbox clearly had better graphics (but XBox version came out more than a year later)

It's a toss up, but you'll be happy with either system. XBox has other nice goodies too, like a hard drive. and the ability to record your CD's onto the HD so you can playback any music you want during gameplay.

After all said and done, I wish I had an Xbox in addition to my PS2, but since I already have a PC I wont be buying XBox, since I can get all the titles on my PC.

(as far as mods go, I know most require a soldering on the circuit boards, but you can always break the door off of PS2 and do the gameshark trick to used burnt discs)

DAPUNISHER

Super Moderator
Aug 22, 2001
I'm 23. I do all my adult gaming on the PC:). I am heavily into strategy games. My first ever console system was a gamecube that I bought about a week ago and has been a different fun experience. I think I'll just get PS2.

Have you by any chance played Ninja Gaiden for the Xbox? That is one game I might be interested in.
I read here from some members that Gaiden sucks badly.

neutralizer

Lifer
Oct 4, 2001
I have heard complaints about Xbox controllers, they are just too big.

The s controllers are awesome. so comfortable.

i'm using the xbox mainly because of it's moddability.

heresiarh

Apr 30, 2004
I don't understand why does gamespot give such high reviews for sucky games. It has a rating of 9.4

-Maybe I should get both of them!